AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC v3.50 firmware

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
JVC v3.50 firmware
« on: November 11, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
I'm putting all the info here in it's own thread, so it's easy to find.

Also, a new video - Theater Optimizer Operation - YouTube

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:34:23 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
Re: JVC v3.50 firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »
Nice!  Thank you 8) :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
One of us will put the link up tomorrow when it goes live too. :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
The JVC firmware update version 3.5 is now available as a free download for the DLA-RS1000, DLA-RS2000 & DLA-RS3000.  This improves our impressive Frame Adapt HDR (Dynamic Tone Mapping) feature and adds the new Theater Optimizer along with several improvements to the menu for easier operation by our customers.

This update is available here:

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

From this single link you will find:

The actual update.

The update procedure.

Reset item list.  Note:  Many picture settings are reset by this update, so it is important to make a written or photo record of these items before performing the update.

Description of changes including an excerpt of all relevant updates to owner’s manual.  (Complete owner’s manual is also available on support page at http://books.jvc.com/booklist.asp?Model=DLA-RS3000 )

Updated screen adjustment code list

Link to updated calibration software and instructions

Here is an earlier You Tube video I did which shows the update process.

Summary on using Theater Optimizer with Ultra Wide Screens.  I hope this adds clarity.

There are two basic methods.  Lens memory or Anamorphic lens.

Lens Memory:

This is simple.  Use the actual 16x9 projected image.

For example. You have a 120” 2.35:1 screen.  46.9” height x 110.4” width.

Your 16x9 image is 46.9” x 83.5”.  96” diagonal.  Round up to 100”.

Your 2.35 image is actually a 62.1” x 110.4”.  127” diagonal.  This is a 16x9 image where the black bars are simply above and below the screen.  Round up to 130”.

Anamorphic.

A little more complicated, but not that much.

For example. You have a 120” 2.35:1 screen.  46.9” height x 110.4” width.

Using an old school expansion lens, your actual 16x9 image is 46.9” x 83.5”.  96” diagonal.  Round up to 100”.  Turn on Anamorphic Scaling (A or B)  in the JVC menu.  Then set Theater Optimizer.

Using a newer compression lens, your actual 16x9 image is 62.1” x 110.4”.  127” diagonal.  It is then compressed.  Round up to 130”.  Turn on Anamorphic Scaling (C or D)  in the JVC menu.  Then set Theater Optimizer.

Remember that you need to “set” Theater Optimizer after inputting all other settings, and you need to do it for each memory/install mode.

Also, please note regarding anamorphic.  There are two different scenarios.  Expansion lens and compression lens.  Expansion with a sled will have one memory with anamorphic scaling and one without.  With a fixed lens, each of those scenarios will have 2 different anamorphic modes (A&B or C&D).  Each of those anamorphic modes will be saved per installation mode and the customer will just recall installation modes when changing aspect ratio.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:08:25 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm putting all the info here in it's own thread, so it's easy to find.

New owners manual - http://books.jvc.com/Download/419862756/B5A-2809-4C.pdf
I remember reading that updating the software resets the projector to factory defaults - wiping out my calibration settings. True?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
I remember reading that updating the software resets the projector to factory defaults - wiping out my calibration settings. True?
See the post above. 

Reset item list.  Note:  Many picture settings are reset by this update, so it is important to make a written or photo record of these items before performing the update.

Description of changes including an excerpt of all relevant updates to owner’s manual.  (Complete owner’s manual is also available on support page at http://books.jvc.com/booklist.asp?Model=DLA-RS3000 )

I'd take photos of all your menus and settings prior to doing the update. 

Re: JVC v3.50 firmware-HELP!!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 09:45:26 AM »
Hello,

Looking for an assist. I have an RS-3000 that I got from Mike G. this past spring and the previous DTM software was already loaded. Not that it matters but my bulb has 264 hours on it. I have been trying to update to the latest software for 3 hours with no success. I keep getting the message "USB flash drive is not inserted or connected". I have tried FOUR different flash drives, reformatted all of them to FAT32 and followed the update procedure in every detail. I am at a loss. Any suggestions. Is there a way to "backdoor" the update? If I could get the USB port to recognize being plugged into my laptop is there a way to accomplish it that way? I really have no idea what is going on so any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Keith 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: JVC v3.50 firmware-HELP!!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
Hello,

Looking for an assist. I have an RS-3000 that I got from Mike G. this past spring and the previous DTM software was already loaded. Not that it matters but my bulb has 264 hours on it. I have been trying to update to the latest software for 3 hours with no success. I keep getting the message "USB flash drive is not inserted or connected". I have tried FOUR different flash drives, reformatted all of them to FAT32 and followed the update procedure in every detail. I am at a loss. Any suggestions. Is there a way to "backdoor" the update? If I could get the USB port to recognize being plugged into my laptop is there a way to accomplish it that way? I really have no idea what is going on so any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Keith
Try this ( from our friends at JVC ) - 

Please ensure the folder is in the root directory of the USB stick.

Please plug in the USB stick and walk away for 5-10 minutes.  Then try running the update.  Do not bring up the OSD until after the 5 or 10 minutes.

Sometimes it takes a while for the projector to acknowledge the USB stick depending on the size.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »
IMPORTANT ! RE-FORMAT THE USB DRIVE YOU ARE USING AND WIPE IT CLEAN. RE-FORMAT IT TO FAT32 !

The file you want on the USB drive is UD_B2A1  ! 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:18:01 PM by AVSMike »

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Thank you for the reply, I did reformat all 4 sticks. I will try the plug in and wait and will report back. For what it is worth when I do plug in the USB stick it (the stick) flashes twice so there is that...

Thank you again for the help!

Keith

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »
The only issues we seem to be having relate to situations where people did not understand how to put the update on a flash drive.

See screen capture below.

Note:  The flash drive cannot have anything else on it.  Simply the UD_B2A1 folder from the download.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »
IMPORTANT ! RE-FORMAT THE USB DRIVE YOU ARE USING AND WIPE IT CLEAN. RE-FORMAT IT TO FAT32 !

The file you want on the USB drive is UB_B2A1  ! 
Okay, so I did all of the suggestions with 2 different USB sticks. One 8GB and one 4GB. Wiped both clean and reformatted to FAT32. Let the projector on without pulling up the OSD for 40 minutes on each one. Still the same message of not inserted/recognized. I then powered the projector off leaving one of the USB's inserted. Let it sit for 20 minutes without pulling up the OSD and still nothing. Same message! Any other ideas? I can't believe an empty 4GB USB that is empty except for the update is causing it not to even acknowledge the USB-drive. Any other ideas?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »
Maybe try a 3rd different USB thumb drive - that's all I can suggest. 

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
Okay, so I did all of the suggestions with 2 different USB sticks. One 8GB and one 4GB. Wiped both clean and reformatted to FAT32. Let the projector on without pulling up the OSD for 40 minutes on each one. Still the same message of not inserted/recognized. I then powered the projector off leaving one of the USB's inserted. Let it sit for 20 minutes without pulling up the OSD and still nothing. Same message! Any other ideas? I can't believe an empty 4GB USB that is empty except for the update is causing it not to even acknowledge the USB-drive. Any other ideas?
When you unzip the file, it gives you an unzipped folder. This is NOT the folder you put on the flash drive. You have to open the Unzipped folder and put the second folder onto the flash drive (Craig posted a picture of the actual files that are in that folder). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »
The only issues we seem to be having relate to situations where people did not understand how to put the update on a flash drive.

See screen capture below.

Note:  The flash drive cannot have anything else on it.  Simply the UD_B2A1 folder from the download.
First I super appreciate the help and if you see my attached screen shot I believe this is the correct placement of the files. Nothing else on any of the 4 and all the same message. What I believe is being lost in translation is the projector is NOT saying "The folder or file cannot be found", which would indicate it is at least acknowledging drive, but instead. the "The drive is not inserted or cannot be recognized".  

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal