AVS Discussions
  Go Down

What to buy, What to buy

What to buy, What to buy
« on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
Starting to do my research.  I have been down the boutique road twice.  First with a Dwin and then with my present Vango. (both from AV Science) The Vango has been resurrected twice. Well really, three times.  Once under warranty by the capable hands of Tom Bond.  Once by the less capable hands of someone in Taiwan.  The third time by my hands mostly fixing the second "fix." (thank God I had parts) 

Then Vango shows it age once and while and hints that its time may be soon so, I am starting to do my homework.  This time I am thinking about a bit lower price point so I can turn more quickly with technology and not feel so bad.

I am thinking more mainstream manufacturer.  I have a mostly light controlled room.  We watch daily.  Mostly movies and TV.  Not much sports.  I can get 4K from Apple TV and possibly Comcast.  Do not yet have a 4K disc player and sadly missed the last OPPOs. (I have an OPPO BluRay)  Some folks over at that other board, have said that if I go too small on the chip I will really be disappointed being used to the Vango's .95.  As you can see, I have always had DLPs.  I wonder if 4K would make up for a smaller chip still giving me an upgrade in visuals.  I need to budget some for the upgraded processor as well as my Marantz AV7005 pre/pro does not handle 4K.

Just getting back in the game watching a bunch of videos online but have yet to come up with the product the fits.  I don't have to jump just yet as the Vango is soldiering on and the only current 4K source would be Apple TV.

I would like to stay in the $6K range for the upgrade (including pre/pro) if possible.

The good news, at least for shipping, is that I no longer live in Alaska.

Thoughts, insight and suggestion are all welcome.

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:45:09 AM by PhotoKevin »

AVSMike

Re: What to buy, What to buy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:38:37 PM »
Sent you an email.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
Thank you. 

Will consider.  Don't know if I a quite ready to jump.  Will be meeting with my money guy tomorrow.  Might know more then.

Do you have any thoughts on the visual jump from 1080P .95 DLP to LCOS 4K?  I also want to look at the adjustments of the JVCs.  I was looking at the Theo Z65 but placement would be a real issue now until we move out of this rental.  i have the Vango just over our heads at sitting height on a projector stand.  I built a theater in our last house and would do so in the next but for now some compromise.

Thanks again,

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
With your $6,000 budget, the JVC DLA-RS1000 is hard to beat for overall performance. There's sadly no real DLP competition anymore in this price range. I don't think it's going to be a hard transition from your Vango. The image just has a different overall feel to it. Better in many ways, but a small decrease in performance in a couple others. But I think the strengths greatly outweigh the relative weaknesses.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
Thank you.

Will consider.  Don't know if I a quite ready to jump.  Will be meeting with my money guy tomorrow.  Might know more then.

Do you have any thoughts on the visual jump from 1080P .95 DLP to LCOS 4K?  I also want to look at the adjustments of the JVCs.  I was looking at the Theo Z65 but placement would be a real issue now until we move out of this rental.  i have the Vango just over our heads at sitting height on a projector stand.  I built a theater in our last house and would do so in the next but for now some compromise.

Thanks again,

Kevin
I was also a 1080P .95 DLP guy, including my Sim Lumis 3 chip projector. Having use LCOS projectors since 2015, and 4K JVC's since 2017, I certainly could not go back to single chip DLP at this point. Like Dylan said, an RS1000 would be outstanding for the money. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
Something Mike asked me in an email that I should have added on the start.

Screen is a 2003 vintage 110" Stewart Studiotek.  Not sure which version that makes it.  Still in great shape.

Also, my current placement is just above our heads on a projector table.  Being in a rental, I am limited.  Plan to do another proper theater when we do finally buy. 

K
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:03:47 PM by PhotoKevin »

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 01:09:38 PM »
just took a peak at the RS1000...Mike was right boy they have gotten very big!

maybe when AVscience has a closeout on them Ill bite again....and consult with a divorce attourney lmao
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »
Have the NX7 with the DCR lens and right now I'm still married ;).  I would highly recommend the NX5 with DTM, just plug and play for the most part.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:28:29 AM by Azeke »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Have the NX7 with the DCR lens and right now I'm still married ;).  I would highly recommend the NX5 with DTM, just plug and play for the most part.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
I bought an RS4500 and I'm still married. Although I had to promise this was the last one - for a while ( I crossed my fingers behind my back ) . ;D

AVSMike

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
Something Mike asked me in an email that I should have added on the start.

Screen is a 2003 vintage 110" Stewart Studiotek.  Not sure which version that makes it.  Still in great shape.

Also, my current placement is just above our heads on a projector table.  Being in a rental, I am limited.  Plan to do another proper theater when we do finally buy. 

K

That screen will work well for HDR with RS1000.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 11:40:15 AM »
I bought an RS4500 and I'm still married. Although I had to promise this was the last one - for a while ( I crossed my fingers behind my back ) . ;D
I made the same promise with a subwoofer (SVS PC Ultra) over 15 years ago. I still have it in my room. I found a loophole thought...I never upgraded it, I just added more subwoofers to the room :D
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
I made the same promise with a subwoofer (SVS PC Ultra) over 15 years ago. I still have it in my room. I found a loophole thought...I never upgraded it, I just added more subwoofers to the room :D

Now you can say they are male and female and have babies. :) 

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
BEST 4.95 a man could ever spend! LOL!

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
Luckily, the wife likes the big screen as well.  Pretty happy with the Vango right now.  I am looking at 4K sources.  Trying to get up to speed on the current tech.  If I had to jump right now, I think I would go for the RS2000 although I really like that I have not had to worry about lamp fade for a long time.  We are in the makeshift theater every night.  Hope we can move to a house we own.  This renting thing really puts the limits on.  I built a theater in the last house.  I have resurrected the Vango a couple of times.  I think the next time, it will be done.  Currently Apple TV is the only 4K source I have.  I have Comcast but would have to get them to give me a newer box.

The only projectors I have purchase were from AVS.  Glad you guys are still here.  When I go to 4K will have to upgrade the pre/pro as well.  Thanks Mike for the price info.  Hoping for sooner rather than later but later does always bring new technology.  :)

I have been reading the auto cal thread.  That might stop some of my lamp fade worries.

K

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal