• AV Science, Inc
Ford v Ferrari 4K UHD Blu-ray
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:38:08 PM »
Ford v Ferrari 4K UHD Blu-ray
Studio:  20th Century Fox
Release Date:  Feb 11, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film:4.5+/5

Plot: The story of famous car designer / race car driver Carroll Shelby, British race car driver / mechanic Ken Miles, and there relationship with Henry Ford II and the Ford Motor Company  attempting to build a race team to beat Ferrari at Le Mans in the mid 1960’s.

My Thoughts : I did not know this story at all. I know a little about Shelby’s cars, but that was it. This is so much more than a car racing movie. The charactors ( Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby, Christian Bale as Ken Miles ) are what make this film so riveting. The racing sequences are also excellent. This joins the movie “ Rush “ as one of my favorite racing movies – and for the same reason – you really get to know the charactors and what makes them tick. Can’t wait to watch this again.

Video : 4.75 / 5 – on my RS4500, I was frequently pleased at just how clear and sharp this disc looked. It might not be the best 4K Blu-ray I’ve seen, but it’s in the top tier. There were a lot of “ looking through a window “ moments. It does not get much better than this.

Audio : 5 / 5 – the Dolby Atmos soundtrack roars on this disc. Crystal clear dialog and heavy use of surrounds for race scenes. The music score is top notch too. This is a great audio track ! 

Conclusion : I loved this story and the characters. Excellent performances all the way around ( Christian Bale is amazing here ). Excellent 4K disc. I’m not sure which film was “ the best “ from 2019, but this is certainly right up there. Can’t wait to watch it again this week with another group of friends !

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FX surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subs 
Four SVS SB2000 subs
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:54:08 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Ford v Ferrari 4K UHD Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
Screen shots - 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:36:23 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:44:06 PM »
This was my favorite film of the ones nominated for Best Picture. I think the replay value is through the roof and it had me on the edge of my seat for virtually the entire movie. A great cast, excellent acting, and amazing sound design. Like you said Craig, the Atmos track is to die-for. Bale got screwed out of an Oscar IMO...he did a fantastic job (as usual) and may be the best actor of his generation because he has so much range and makes you believe he's someone different each time he's on the screen. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
This was my favorite film of the ones nominated for Best Picture. I think the replay value is through the roof and it had me on the edge of my seat for virtually the entire movie. A great cast, excellent acting, and amazing sound design. Like you said Craig, the Atmos track is to die-for. Bale got screwed out of an Oscar IMO...he did a fantastic job (as usual) and may be the best actor of his generation because he has so much range and makes you believe he's someone different each time he's on the screen.
Everyone watching last night was blown away by Bale's performance. And funny at times too. With all the bass trap / subwoofer work I've done lately, my wife pretty much said " crank it up " - and that's also because the soundtrack is so good. Excellent use of all channels when called for too. 2nd screening Friday at our house ( I'm having to have all my friends that want to watch this over in shifts ). Can't wait to watch it again ! 

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
I'll throw in my 2 thumbs up for this flick.  I watched it myself a few days ago, and then had a fellow HT enthusiast over and watched it again.

Excellent movie, acting.  Nothing 'flashy' about the picture quality - just solid, life-like, satisfying, with plenty of detail.  I thought the soundtrack had a particularly good balance between dialogue, music, sound effects, etc.

One of my favorites for sure.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
Can't wait to watch this again Friday ! 

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »
Outstanding film all around. Story. Sound. Picture

Well done 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:24 PM »
I watched this a second time earlier today with my son and even though I watched it less than a month ago, it was every bit as entertaining the second time around. Definitely my favorite picture of 2019. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »
Same here. I watched it with my wife and  then about two weeks later I watched it again with my son and future son in law, since they had not seen it. Great movie.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
Watched it twice so far too. I haven't seen 1917 yet so can't say what my favorite is from 2019. I've watched Jojo Rabbit 3 times and I really like that one too. There were a lot of really great movies last year ( loved Knives out too - watched that one twice so far ) ! 

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
Watched it twice so far too. I haven't seen 1917 yet so can't say what my favorite is from 2019. I've watched Jojo Rabbit 3 times and I really like that one too. There were a lot of really great movies last year ( loved Knives out too - watched that one twice so far ) !
2019 was probably the best year for movies in the past 25-30 years. Watched Little Women last night and was blown away by that too...thought I would hate it and it sucked me right in. I'll post a review later today. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 02:04:00 PM »
2019 was probably the best year for movies in the past 25-30 years. Watched Little Women last night and was blown away by that too...thought I would hate it and it sucked me right in. I'll post a review later today.
I'm also interested in Emma ( whatever year that came out in ). 

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Watched FvF over the weekend. Loved it. Just a great story and great characters, told well with some thrills. From what I read on Ken Miles, Bale did a great job portraying him. My wife wasn't interested at first but I fired it up and a little while later she wanted to know who was who, and ended up watching and enjoying it.

A friend of mine has a Shelby Cobra Mustang, one of the last built while Carroll was still around. Awesome machine. He takes it down to west Texas with a group for a few weeks every fall for speed events. He came in #2 last fall at 195. (!) 

AVSMike

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 10:24:59 PM »
Great movie. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
It really was a great year for movies. This year has some great ones too - if they ever come out ! 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal