AVS Discussions
  Go Down

HELP!!/opinions needed from jvc owners/experts should i buy used jvc rs25/35???

I need some opinions and thoughts on purchasing a used jvc rs25 or jvc rs35 from someone. I do not know alot about older jvc projectors. all i know is they had ridiculous black levels but not bright at all. I am not familiar whether they have any known issues with reliability as far as something gong bad in projector  or bad lamps/housing etc. the only thing i heard was bulbs dont last long like current bulbs but if thats all  i can get cheap bulb down the line.
 I have opportunity buy a rs35 for $450 i have drive to get it like 4 hrs and the horizontal lens shift does not work but everything else works fine. has 700 hrs. or he has a rs25  mint condition ,with a brand new bulb $600 shipped to me.
Can anyone with knowledge of these older or that has or in past had either these units tell me if sounds like good deal and worth chance ..since obviously no warranty and if it breaks im out the money since probably dont make repair parts and wouldnt be worth it to fix if they did .thanks a lot- Rob

I would be cautious purchasing a projector that old with already known issues. I did a quick search on ebay and there are some JVC units in the 500 price range with lower hours on them and the option to purchase a square trade warranty. I have bought and sold used projectors without issue but they were all much newer and in proper working order. Do you know if the lens is centered? If the horizontal shift failed while it was outside its center point you could run into issues getting the image to properly fit your screen if your not lined up correctly. I would suggest checking out a few option on ebay and in the AV forums first. 

I would be cautious purchasing a projector that old with already known issues. I did a quick search on ebay and there are some JVC units in the 500 price range with lower hours on them and the option to purchase a square trade warranty. I have bought and sold used projectors without issue but they were all much newer and in proper working order. Do you know if the lens is centered? If the horizontal shift failed while it was outside its center point you could run into issues getting the image to properly fit your screen if your not lined up correctly. I would suggest checking out a few option on ebay and in the AV forums first.
What think about jvc x500 eshift 3 . 180 hrs on bulb with 1 year warranty 1100$

What think about jvc x500 eshift 3 . 180 hrs on bulb with 1 year warranty 1100$
Good price. I just sold an X500 for $1050, but mine obviously came with no warranty. Much better than the RS35 overall. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Good price. I just sold an X500 for $1050, but mine obviously came with no warranty. Much better than the RS35 overall.
Darn! I missed out on a very well calibrated dark environment projector. :o I thought you were keeping it as a backup for your RS2000. I expect your RS2000 will become a backup for your RS3000 some day! ;)

Darn! I missed out on a very well calibrated dark environment projector. :o I thought you were keeping it as a backup for your RS2000. I expect your RS2000 will become a backup for your RS3000 some day! ;)
I sold both backups haha. They just sit here, so no sense in keeping something actually worth money still. I shipped the RS2000 to a fellow reviewer who bought it last week.

I just picked up a used Runco VX-11D for $150 this morning on eBay. Crazy good price for a  1080p 3 chip DLP.  It's missing it's VIVIX controller, but I can still control it with a simple USB to RS232 cable until I see a used controller pop up on eBay. That'll be my new backup :)
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

i bought the jvc x500 .i drive to pick it up a couple hrs away after work. so hopefully i have it installed tonight and get to see how it is. cant wait.

Small world. Just met Rob, the thread starter, for an in person pickup of my X500. We had a nice chat about projectors for a bit before he drove home.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

I sold both backups haha. They just sit here, so no sense in keeping something actually worth money still. I shipped the RS2000 to a fellow reviewer who bought it last week.

I just picked up a used Runco VX-11D for $150 this morning on eBay. Crazy good price for a  1080p 3 chip DLP.  It's missing it's VIVIX controller, but I can still control it with a simple USB to RS232 cable until I see a used controller pop up on eBay. That'll be my new backup :)
You sold your RS2000?! Did I miss something? What's your main projector now?

Small world. Just met Rob, the thread starter, for an in person pickup of my X500. We had a nice chat about projectors for a bit before he drove home.
very small world. And the funny thing is if you never said it i would have not realized that was you. how slow am i lol. either way great guy , very accommodating letting me pickup and meet him shortly after he got back in town. i decided pick it up not so much to save freight cost but didnt want ups to touch it and it was 1 day sooner i could get it!. projector looks great  physically and it actually only has 45 hrs on bulb! got home from drive like 9. took 5 hrs to mount it. 4 and half to find my damn security allen wrench and  half hr to mount it ;Dwatched passengers to try it out. looks awesome great deal thanks dylan! very tired today but worth it

You sold your RS2000?! Did I miss something? What's your main projector now?

JVC DLA-NX9 (RS3000)

I ended up keeping my review unit. I just couldn't let it go back to JVC. It's too nice.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

JVC DLA-NX9 (RS3000)

I ended up keeping my review unit. I just couldn't let it go back to JVC. It's too nice.
"Conclusion
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the JVC DLA-NX9 and found the improvements it offers over the RS2000/NX7 to be easily noticeable. In my opinion, the NX9 throws the best overall image quality for movies one can get from any current consumer home theater projector under $100,000, and offers what can only be described as one of the most cinematic movie-viewing experiences available today.

Yes, the price is a bit intimidating, but when you consider the staggering overall performance and features the NX9 has, especially against what competing brands currently offer, I think the asking price is fair." Credit. :) Enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:26:03 AM by rob-houston »

It might be worth hearing about the sort of room it will be going in (lighting and size) and how it will be used before anyone can say it's a good idea to buy a particular projector. I.e. Screen size and content. 

It can feel like a JVC Dila is the only answer on forums these days but it isn't. I've owned a few JVCs myself including an HD990 (which is an RS35 rebadged). They are usually very nice for the price if you have the right sort of room. 

I found all of my HT class JVC projectors hard to live with when I used them in a living room environment. They are most at home in a blacked out dedicated home theater imo. 

$500 would be a good deal on an RS35 if it was in perfect working order + low hours. I couldn't live without horizontal lens shift though. If it's low hours and still broken, it was a dog to start with. Avoid. 

I actually rate the RS35 I owned above a bunch of the newer JVC projectors despite the inflated contrast ratio specs on some later ones. The RS35 was a $10,000 rrp projector when new because JVC hand-picked the cream of the crop in components. Just doing that produced a very noticeable improvement over the RS25 despite the identical component list. 

My experience has been that a top of the line projector from 5 or 8 years ago is usually better than entry-level projectors of today. The fundamentals of a great image like high quality glass and components has not changed or got any cheaper. 

If you are buying a used projector (which I think is smart) it's always worth seeing what else you could get within your budget too. Sometimes that $1000-$5000 you would have spent on a new entry level projector can get you an $80,000 3chip DLP with a high end lens that would have cost $8000 when new... I've had some incredible deals. 

AVSMike

It might be worth hearing about the sort of room it will be going in (lighting and size) and how it will be used before anyone can say it's a good idea to buy a particular projector. I.e. Screen size and content.

It can feel like a JVC Dila is the only answer on forums these days but it isn't. I've owned a few JVCs myself including an HD990 (which is an RS35 rebadged). They are usually very nice for the price if you have the right sort of room.

I found all of my HT class JVC projectors hard to live with when I used them in a living room environment. They are most at home in a blacked out dedicated home theater imo.

$500 would be a good deal on an RS35 if it was in perfect working order + low hours. I couldn't live without horizontal lens shift though. If it's low hours and still broken, it was a dog to start with. Avoid.

I actually rate the RS35 I owned above a bunch of the newer JVC projectors despite the inflated contrast ratio specs on some later ones. The RS35 was a $10,000 rrp projector when new because JVC hand-picked the cream of the crop in components. Just doing that produced a very noticeable improvement over the RS25 despite the identical component list.

My experience has been that a top of the line projector from 5 or 8 years ago is usually better than entry-level projectors of today. The fundamentals of a great image like high quality glass and components has not changed or got any cheaper.

If you are buying a used projector (which I think is smart) it's always worth seeing what else you could get within your budget too. Sometimes that $1000-$5000 you would have spent on a new entry level projector can get you an $80,000 3chip DLP with a high end lens that would have cost $8000 when new... I've had some incredible deals.
You need to see the newer native 4K JVC's. A world of difference between an RS35 and the current generation. An RS2000 has slightly better contrast, is much brighter and throws a sharper image. The image from a 2000 is also cleaner.

An RS35 would not do very good in a living room with a lot of ambient light, but it would do  much better  if it had twice as much light output. That is what you get today.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:53:09 PM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

I've seen the latest gen JVCs. The OP was talking about cheaper used models though so I assumed they weren't an option.

Either way, doubling the brightness doesn't exactly make the new JVCs bright. It just brings them more inline with their competition. I still wouldn't choose one for a living room. That doubly applies when there isn't enough in the budget for a decent ALR screen. 

Your average sub 2000 (usable) lumens HT projector is not bright enough to do a great job as a tv replacement in a room with the lights on IMO. It will limit screen size and reduce the usable viewing cone of an ALR screen.

I'm not criticizing JVC specifically. I'm mostly a fan and credit them with driving some innovation in this market. There's just a right tool for the job thing. A great home theater projector can easily become a sub-par living room device. 

I spent a lot of time testing projectors when I was in the ALR screen business. To get semi decent results with the lights on requires the darkest screen material possible and a projector with enough brightness to make that tolerable.  

You're not going to see any of those famous JVC blacks without darkness. Just the color of the screen material. 

So, as I said, you need to know how a projector will be used, details about the room and lighting etc before being able to make a recommendation. It's not just lighting either. Using it for gaming changes things. As does the position of windows and available space etc.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal