Midway (UHD Blu-ray) review

Midway (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: February 18, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
The Battle of Midway was a clash between the American fleet and the Imperial Japanese Navy which marked a pivotal turning point in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The film, based on the real-life events of this heroic feat, tells the story of the leaders and soldiers who used their instincts, fortitude, and bravery to overcome the odds. Directed by Roland Emmerich.

My Thoughts
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this film given the complexities of translating true events into a Hollywood blockbuster. As luck would have it, John Ford was actually filming on the island of Midway back in 1942 when the battle happened, and this gets incorporated into the storyline. In 1976, the first Midway appeared in theaters and did a much better job verse this incarnation of showing how the battle developed using maps, but as one would expect, the actual battle sequences depicted in this modern version are much more realistic and engaging due to modern VFX techniques.

Overall, it’s a decent film, but not great for a few reasons. First, the character development is somewhat shallow, yet forced at the same time. Second, the main character in the film is played by Ed Skrien, who just doesn’t have the acting chops to carry such a heavy onscreen presence. I just didn’t buy his depiction of a cocky Jersey boy who’s bursting with confidence. Furthermore, Skrien’s British accent sneaks through on occasion and I wouldn’t call his Jersey accent all that convincing either. The rest of the cast does a commendable job, but the real reason to watch this movie is for the Atmos track, which kicks ass. One thing Roland Emmerich knows how to do is blow shit up, and he does it in very convincing fashion. Unfortunately, the VFX effects aren’t seamless, especially on the 4K presentation, but now I’m just picking nits.

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary by Roland Emmerich
  • “Getting It Right: The Making of Midway” Featurette
  • “The Men of Midway” Featurette
  • “Roland Emmerich: Man on a Mission” Featurette
  • “Turning Point: The Legacy of Midway” Featurette
  • “Joe Rochefort: Breaking the Japanese Code” Featurette
  • “We Met at Midway: Two Survivors Remember” Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer

Conclusion
The importance of the battle of Midway in WWII cannot be overstated. If the US lost this battle, the war in the Pacific could have ended up costing more lives and there was a chance that Japan would have tried to invade the West Coast of the US mainland. Fortunately, history was on our side and our boys opened a can of whoop-ass and allowed the US to push the Japanese navy back towards Japan and away from threatening our mainland. This film is a decent experience, especially for the battle scenes, but it does come with some flaws. Be sure to check it out, especially if you like explosions.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Midway (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
It's interesting how some WWII vets have really like this movie. I have it pre-ordered. Like stuff blowing up in my theater. Thanks Dave.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
It's interesting how some WWII vets have really like this movie. I have it pre-ordered. Like stuff blowing up in my theater. Thanks Dave.
It will give your subwoofers a great workout.
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:25:54 AM »
Saw this last weekend (along with JoJo Rabbit for a very odd coincidental pairing of WWII movies) and liked it a lot. I never did see the 70s Midway, though I've seen some documentaries recently. It's no "The Pacific" but I felt it struck a pretty good balance of telling the history - including some of the Japanese side, bringing some historical characters to life and "blowing shit up". Some of the flight and dive bombing scenes in particular were really thrilling to me. I also liked that the significant role that intelligence (sigint) played was given very good weight.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »
Saw this last weekend (along with JoJo Rabbit for a very odd coincidental pairing of WWII movies) and liked it a lot. I never did see the 70s Midway, though I've seen some documentaries recently. It's no "The Pacific" but I felt it struck a pretty good balance of telling the history - including some of the Japanese side, bringing some historical characters to life and "blowing shit up". Some of the flight and dive bombing scenes in particular were really thrilling to me. I also liked that the significant role that intelligence (sigint) played was given very good weight.
Watched it last night with some friends. One friend had seen it in a commercial theater during it's run. I liked it, and man o man, the Atmos sound track kicked ass ! My buddy said it looked and sounded way better in my theater ! Considering this was an independent film ( no major studio backing apparently ) I thought they did a really good job. 

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
sounded great...looked great...but the movie was MEH.....hated the lead actor....thought he was awful in this....

oh well

popcorn
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
I didn't mind him. And after the first scene with him in it, I didn't think about Deadpool again . He was okay. 

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
I didn't mind him. And after the first scene with him in it, I didn't think about Deadpool again . He was okay.
complete opposite here...but all i could think of was ready player one....cringeworthy actiing

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
complete opposite here...but all i could think of was ready player one....cringeworthy actiing
Just watched this again with friends that hadn't seen it, 2 nights ago. Have you watched many WWII movies that were made during WWII ? I think the feel of the film may have been meant to mimic those films, with a bit of " rah rah " pro - American bravado mixed in. After all, it's the same director as " Independence Day " - which was stuffed to the gills with " rah rah " pro - American bravado " itself. Anyway, I liked this better now on my 4th viewing. The subwoofers make the room vibrate at times. Lots of fun. 

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »
Just watched this again with friends that hadn't seen it, 2 nights ago. Have you watched many WWII movies that were made during WWII ? I think the feel of the film may have been meant to mimic those films, with a bit of " rah rah " pro - American bravado mixed in. After all, it's the same director as " Independence Day " - which was stuffed to the gills with " rah rah " pro - American bravado " itself. Anyway, I liked this better now on my 4th viewing. The subwoofers make the room vibrate at times. Lots of fun.
that's an interesting point....I've only seen it once and is on the re-watch list...but you are def on to somthing

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up