Joker (UHD Blu-ray) review

Joker (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: January 05, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: January 7, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Forever alone in a crowd, Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) longs for any light to shine on him.  Trying his hand as a stand-up comic, he finds the joke always seems to be on him. Caught in a cyclical existence between apathy and cruelty and, ultimately, betrayal, Arthur makes one bad decision after another that brings about a chain reaction of escalating events.

My Thoughts
Since the Nolan trilogy of Batman, the DC Universe hasn’t been hitting on all cylinders. While some of the films have been entertaining, they haven’t had the box office success that rival studio Marvel has had. While this film isn’t a feel good experience by any means, it may earn an Oscar for leading man Phoenix—he’s simply fantastic in this film and while you’ll feel like you’ll need to see a therapist when it’s over, it’s well worth watching for him alone.

To call this movie dark would be an understatement. Throughout its two-hour runtime, you’ll watch Fleck go from an oddball character to completely insane as he goes off his meds and starts to lose his grip on reality. This is a complete character study and breaks the mold of the action-packed genre of comic book adaptations—this is a serious no holds barred drama.

The A/V quality is outstanding, especially the video quality, which is crystal clear, vibrant, and has extremely deep and inviting shadows. The highlight of the audio track is the phenomenal score from Hildur Guðnadóttir which relies on the cello to set the grim mood of the picture and complements the onscreen action.

Video 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Joker: Vision & Fury
  • Becoming Joker
  • Please Welcome…Joker
  • Joker: A Chronicle of Chaos
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I went into this movie not expecting to like it because I knew the subject matter would be dark and depressing, which it was. I was won over by Phoenix’s portrayal of a character that earned Heath Ledger a supporting actor Oscar in 2009 and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Phoenix takes home a golden statue for his performance here. Throw in the fabulous A/V and this one is easy to recommend.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Joker (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
Appreciate the review.  I had mixed feelings about getting this one, but am now inclined to give it a try.  Bluray Review also thought the picture quality was superb.

Now that you have your 2.35:1 screen, are you as frustrated as I am when I have to watch a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movie?  Drives me crazy! :-X

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
Appreciate the review.  I had mixed feelings about getting this one, but am now inclined to give it a try.  Bluray Review also thought the picture quality was superb.

Now that you have your 2.35:1 screen, are you as frustrated as I am when I have to watch a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movie?  Drives me crazy! :-X
If your viewing distance is based off of height, you should not be. Joker was very dark. Not a movie I would want to watch twice, so I would never buy it.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »
Is this movie in a 16:9 format ? I'm picking this up for sure. I'll keep it in my " mental illness awareness month " movie section ( I have quite a few now ). 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:04 PM »

Now that you have your 2.35:1 screen, are you as frustrated as I am when I have to watch a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movie?  Drives me crazy! :-X
I just deploy my 16:9 screen. In fact tonight I'm watching Homeland on Blu-ray on my 16:9 screen.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
If your viewing distance is based off of height, you should not be. Joker was very dark. Not a movie I would want to watch twice, so I would never buy it.
With the scope screen, I have Constant Image Height, with the height pretty much maxxed out.  Watching 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 content leaves a significant portion of the screen on both sides unused (I have black velvet curtains that I draw in from the sides to mask), which is what I find frustrating.  Less immersive because of its limitation in the horizontal dimension.

Similar to the frustration after I got my enormous Mitsubishi 65" Rear Projection TV several decades ago, but in the opposite sense.  Scope Movies now only used a portion of the screen real estate I had just paid handsomely for!

I mean, I obviously understand I'm seeing the content as the creators intended, in that aspect ratio.  But I would have preferred they made it in scope, for a better, more immersive, visual experience.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
I just deploy my 16:9 screen. In fact tonight I'm watching Homeland on Blu-ray on my 16:9 screen.
Yeah, unfortunately that's not a viable option for me; it's great that you can take advantage, and have the best of both worlds!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately that's not a viable option for me; it's great that you can take advantage, and have the best of both worlds!
Not everything is best in scope format, but now they throw movies at us in 2.00:1 too ! 

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 10:05:05 PM »
Not everything is best in scope format, but now they throw movies at us in 2.00:1 too !
I know you're using the DCR, so was wondering how you handle 2.00:1 and 2.20:1 content, which as you noted, has cropped up a lot (bad pun intended! ;) )?  There will be some compromise, even with your 2 screens!  Perhaps you need to add a 3rd! ::)

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 01:07:03 AM »
Yes, it was frustrating at it was 1.85:1, but I got over it. 

I watched the final 3 episodes of "The Crown" season 3 tonight and it's 2.0:1, so I now have lens memories for 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.0:1, 2.35:1, and 2.40:1 (with a tiny bit of overscan). Only 6 more lens memories to go :)

Mike, as you stated, it will be tough to watch again, but I'll give it a go in a couple of years. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:25 AM »
I know you're using the DCR, so was wondering how you handle 2.00:1 and 2.20:1 content, which as you noted, has cropped up a lot (bad pun intended! ;) )?  There will be some compromise, even with your 2 screens!  Perhaps you need to add a 3rd! ::)
With Lumagen everything is full height of my CIH screen. Only width changes and Lumagen does this automaticlly.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Harro

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 10:15:38 AM »
Joaquin Phoenix won best actor award last nite, in which he truly deserves for his Joker.
It is a dark movie to watch but also a fascinating transformation of his character in the Joker. With a little social commentary on the have's and have not's to bring the Joker into full bloom.
I will be watching this again but not real soon.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
I received a DVD screener and really had little interest in the film but my son (12) was eager to watch it, so we did.
Amazing performance, writing, cinematography and color grading. 
It will definitely win an Oscar or two.
Most film like digital film I've ever seen. Really captured the way 70's films looked and felt.
This is from watching the DVD!
Can only imagine how much better the higher resolution formats will make it.
Not sure I ever want to see it again, but it taught me (again) the lesson of never pre-judging a film based on brief clips and snarky online remarks.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »
I know you're using the DCR, so was wondering how you handle 2.00:1 and 2.20:1 content, which as you noted, has cropped up a lot (bad pun intended! ;) )?  There will be some compromise, even with your 2 screens!  Perhaps you need to add a 3rd! ::)
I remove my lens and watch the 2.00:1 stuff on the 16:9 screen. It's taller that way. Small black bars don't bother me.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 12:48:54 AM »
WOW ! This movie kicked ass ! Hard core gritty film. Segues with the Nolan films 100% - you could watch this, and then Batman Begins. The soundtrack was off the rails good - I think my bass traps are doing there job ( LFE was incredible ). Acting, picture, all my guests were totally blown away ! 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal