AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Ad Astra

Barry

Ad Astra
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »
       I found Ad Astra to be an overlong, slowly paced and plotted movie that was boring, pretentious and when it grows up, wants to be 2001. There were several references to that here. Except, instead of Hal, the people were all robotic. I saw it in Imax.

Briefly, in a very futuristic world which has designs of going into Space, Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) travels first to the moon, then to Mars and then to Neptune to discover the secrets of life in Outer Space. On the moon he is chased in moon buggies by pirates. Yes there are pirates on the moon. How they get there and how they will get off I don’t know. There, and throughout the movie, people are randomly killed, with no emotional consequence or response for anyone.

As if this was a silly sci-fi from the 1950s, all astronauts carry guns that work in space, following the thought that there need to be little logic in this movie.

The Special Effects were good, but nothing new or exceptional.  The surround sound was also good.

I never got into or believed this movie. Honest to gosh, we were the only ones in the theatre.  I don’t think this movie is doing well.

Krell 707 3D; Krell 400e (center) 600e; S-1500 (rear); Panasonic 9000 4k player; Revel speakers: Salon 2, Voice 2; W990; SVS subs SB-13 Ultras; JVC DLA-RS3000; Stuart StudioTek100; Krell Cipher; Day Sequerra FM Reference: VPI 19 Mark 4 & SME 309 & Audioquest 404i & Krell KPE

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Ad Astra
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
Too bad, as I'm always up for a good sci fi flick. Seems Bill at Digital Bits didn't like it either. The spread between critics and audience ratings at Rotten Tomatoes is large. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:30am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig

Go Up