Captain Marvel (UHD Blu-ray) review

Captain Marvel (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:23:51 PM »

Studio: Disney

Release Date: June 4, 2019

Rating: PG-13

Film: 4/5

Plot
Set in the 1990s, “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that introduces the MCU’s first stand-alone, female-franchise title character—Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel. When we first meet Danvers, she already possesses her superhero powers, having left her earthly life behind and become a member of an intergalactic elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by their enigmatic commander, Yon-Rogg. But after Danvers has trained and worked with the Starforce team, and become a valued member­, she finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. While on Earth she quickly lands on the radar of Nick Fury, and they must work together against a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls—the notorious Marvel bad guys made even more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities—and their leader, Talos, who is spearheading a Skrull invasion of Earth.

My Thoughts
Our resident comic book expert, Barry, reviewed the theatrical release of this (https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1958.0) and liked it, but it took liberties with the original Captain Marvel comics. I have never been a comic book reader but can judge the movie on its own merits and actually liked it much better the second time. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it the first time through but didn’t love the first act due to the way the story is told. I didn’t have any of the questions the second time through and just sat back and enjoyed it. 

Larson is great as the lead and owns the role. She does a lot of great things with her eyes and gives the character a bit of well-needed sass to make her believable. Samuel L. Jackson has been CGI’d to look younger and the VFX people did a great job in this regard—he looks like he did back in the mid-90s when he starred in Pulp Fiction

The A/V quality is excellent here. In fact, it’s one of the better looking HDR titles that Disney has offered. Details leap off the screen and the color saturation is excellent with some very bright highlights. The audio track is mixed a bit low—standard practice for Disney—but once volume adjusted, it’s a very engaging mix with good use of the height speakers as well as some ample LFE. 

Video 9.5/10 

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Intro
  • Becoming a Super Hero
  • Big Hero Moment
  • The Origin of Nicky Fury
  • The Dream Team
  • The Skrulls and the Kree
  • Hiss-Sterical Cat-Titude
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Gag Reel
  • Audio Commentary
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
I’ve read various accounts of people hating this movie, but I just don’t get it. It’s very entertaining from start to finish—especially the second time through—and Larson is great as the lead. It’s also fun to see the origin story of Nick Fury as well. The A/V quality is excellent and whether you choose the UHD or Blu-ray (if you aren’t 4K capable), you’ll be more than pleased with the presentation. Highly recommended.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:56:20 AM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Captain Marvel (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:26:49 PM »
Here are some bonus clips:

Bonus Clip: The Skrulls

Youtube Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URF_e0FBwQ4

Bonus Clip: Kree/Skrull Relationship

Youtube Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbE5FXb1yjU

Bonus Clip: Hiss-Sterical Cat-ittude
Youtube Link:  https://youtu.be/Pgl4ZdTeAQ0
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:31:35 PM by David Vaughn »
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the review.

The below needs fixing.

Plot

Batman and Robin try to keep their relationship together even as they must stop Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy from freezing Gotham City.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
Argh! Fixed...I was in a rush posting it and forgot to change that section :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:56:50 AM by David Vaughn »
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
 I believe I understand, but do not accept, the criticism Captain Marvel got frankly, it got the bad reviews before it opened. Some men did not want to see a female super-star. I really liked the movie and I really liked Bree Larson. And one other.

Diversity is important in the movies, but the comic book audience of the 1960s-1970s, where these characters originated were mostly teen age boys. They wanted characters they could relate to and diversity be damned. The comic book market now is mostly men between the ages of 25-45. Sadly many of them, the ones that hated the movie before it opened, have the maturity of a teen-ager.

The complaints often silly and made up: She didn’t smile enough in the coming attractions. (She has a wonderful smile! But that has nothing to do with the movie.)

Most important: This quote got so misquoted when she said that she was making the movie for a diverse audience, not just the forty year old white men who will be reviewing it.  People mangled that quote to state that she hated men, didn’t want men to see the movie and other garbage.  This movie showed the growth of a woman and in professional reviews from “40 year old white men” I occasionally saw what she was talking about. They thought those parts of the movie were boring. They weren’t.

There were all silly and unfounded.  My “favorite” complaint is that she claimed she did most of her own stunts. No joke, a guy but up pictures of someone on her set with a similar costume. He claimed, without seeing anyone in action, that Larson was lying and that was the stunt double. So Larson was a despicable person.
1.  Larson could be a despicable person (gosh, she is NOT) but it still can be a good movie.
2.  Movie always have stand ins for lighting and other shots. This was apparently that person. Sheessh!

If we want diversity in movies, we need it in front of the camera, behind the camera, in the board rooms and in the critics circle.

Oh, the one other? I liked the CAT!

For a double header, with the X-Men movie opening this week.  Here is the first Rogue appearance with Carol Danvers, who was known as Ms Marvel then!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
The cat got all of the best lines :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Greetings,

Wholeheartedly agree Dave. Nice review!

Regards,

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
Greetings,

Wholeheartedly agree Dave. Nice review!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph.
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:25:07 AM »
I get the need to "update" characters like casting a woman in what was once a male character's role. What I don't like is casting inferior actors in the place of one that did a fairly respectable job in the role. You know like casting Ben Affleck or potentially worse, "Edward Cullen" as Batman. #notmyBatman ::)

This one will be on my must watch list for sure. Thanks for the review.

Barry

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »
Tracy, Carol became Ms. Marvel in 1976. They did change the name to Captain Marvel in 2010, but I do not see this as replacing a male character.

Marvel’s original Captain Marvel died in 1982.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »
I do not have my setup ready so I had to watch it on my FP. I enjoyed the movie, and I can not wait to watch it when my setup is completed as I saw many scenes that looked like they have excellent effects.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
I have the 4K disc coming in the mail !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
I have the 4K disc coming in the mail !
Where did you order it from? I ordered some time ago from Amazon, thinking their dispute with Disney was over.  Then i see they changed their listing and i was  not going to get it on time. I cancelled the order on Tuesday and got it at Best Buy.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
Where did you order it from? I ordered some time ago from Amazon, thinking their dispute with Disney was over.  Then i see they changed their listing and i was  not going to get it on time. I cancelled the order on Tuesday and got it at Best Buy.
I bought it discounted at Amazon from a 3rd party without the Blu-ray ( 4K disc is new - never watched ). I do this a lot. I don't need the Blu-ray, and I can save money and in this case, get it faster ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
I get the 4k and give my brother the blu ray.  Thanks

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal