AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Captain Marvel: A non-spoiler review

Barry

Captain Marvel: A non-spoiler review
« on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »
I really liked this movie.

A non spoiler review means that I will not tell you anything more than what you have already seen in the coming attractions and in the previous Marvel movies.

Let me also mention that they take liberties with the original Marvel comics and they make good movies out of them.  In the movie, the Skrull are introduced.  They first appeared in Fantastic Four #2, the second comic of the Marvel Age. They are evil aliens who want to take over the Earth. They have the power to shape shift and therefor to look like anyone else. The Kree were introduced in Fantastic Four #64 in 1967.  They were an alien race who also want to take over the planet.  Both races were created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Ms. Marvel, was introduced in 1977. Her names changed to Captain Marvel 2015.

This movie is a more of a Flash Gordon, outer space chase movie, than the previous Marvel movies. And once again, it doesn’t look like any of the movie that came before it.

Bree Larson and Samuel Jackson are the stars and since the movie takes place in 1995, Mr Jackson is CGIed to look like his younger self.

There are really three parts to the movie, and not really, but in a sense Ms. Larson plays three different roles.  Who she really was, what she became and what she will be after she discovers the truth about herself.  Honest to gosh, she does this brilliantly. In discovering who she was, this becomes a “buddy” movie with her and Mr. Jackson for about 1/3 of the movie.  It’s funny and fun. It then becomes an origin movie, more complicated than most, so don’t go to the bathroom. It then becomes an action and adventure/space movie with wonderful effects and surround.  As good as the actors are the plot matches their performance.  While it does tie in many of the Marvel plots, they are not necessary to see this movie, which stands on its own.

Stay until the VERY end, there are two scenes during and after the credits.  And there is a Stan Lee cameo and a touching tribute to him too.

May I say that Bree Larson did surprise me, I enjoyed it a lot.  I should mention that one of Captain Marvel’s creators didn’t love the movies because they really altered his plots.  I just want a good movie.

Oh, I love the cat, but watch out!

The connection between Captain Marvel and SHAZAM!!!!!!
What is now DC introduced Superman in the new medium of comics in 1938.
In 1940 Fawcett Publishing introduced Captain Marvel: young Billy Batson says the word “SHAZAM” and turns into a super-hero that actually sold more copies than Superman.

DC sues for plagiarism.  In 1954, due to this lawsuit and lower sales Fawcett discontinues Captain Marvel.

In 1961, Martin Goodman, who had be printing comics since 1939, rebrands his comic book line “Marvel.”  In 1968, hearing that DC might be buying the original Captain Marvel from Fawcett, puts out his own Captain Marvel and gets a trademark for it. This means that DC cannot use that name.

DC does buy the character but now cannot use the name of Captain Marvel on their covers because it is trademarked by Marvel.  They name the comic and later the original character, SHAZAM.
Goodman had to stop another publisher from using the name in 1967.

Marvel’s first Captain Marvel was a Kree soldier named “Captain Mar-Vell.” He and Carol Danvers, who was introduced  in his second story, gets zapped by a powerful ray and she “inherits” his powers and becomes, in 1977, “Ms. Marvel.”  Mar-Vell dies of cancer in 1982.  As an homage to him, in 2015, she renames herself, Captain Marvel.

What a coincidence: The Captain Marvel movie and Shazam come out at about the same time!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:40:29 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Captain Marvel: A non-spoiler review
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
Barry,

I love the history lesson. I really enjoyed Captain Marvel, but I think it's a movie that will be even better the second time.

David
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »
You are right. There is so much going on in the movie it was hard to catch everything.  Except, of course, the cat.  He caught everything!!

PS: Is there any way to add a picture from my computer to a response?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
Thanks Barry. I also enjoy the history. Great movie, Captain Marvel. We enjoyed it. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal