Lucy (UHD Blu-ray) review

Lucy (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: April 9, 2016
Rating: $
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
A woman (Scarlett Johansson) accidentally caught in a dark deal turns the tables on her captors when she’s altered by a dangerous new drug allowing her to use 100% of her brain capacity. Lucy transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic.

My Thoughts
 The trailers made this film very intriguing for me and I’ve like Luc Beeson’s previous movies. The concept of using 100% of one’s mind has been talked about in science for as long as I can remember and Beeson has provided a competent interpretation of what could really happen, but goes a tad overboard with the violence.

I enjoyed this much more the second time through having already watched it on Blu-ray. Johansson looks amazing in 4K and the overall presentation is to die for. The Blu-ray has reference audio and video, yet the UHD with Dolby Atmos takes it to the next level of pure A/V bliss. In fact, this is arguably the best demo disc available on the new format.

Video 10/10 (HEVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        The Evolution of Lucy
·        Cerebral Capacity: The True Science of Lucy
·        Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
I enjoyed the film because of Johansson’s screen presence and I really liked the concept. I could have done without the violence though and dealt more with the science, but maybe that wouldn’t have had as wide of box office appeal. The presentation of the UHD makes this a must-own. Highly recommended.

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

Re: Lucy (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
Enjoying your reviews. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
Enjoying your reviews. :)
Thanks Mike. I'm going through my old reviews that I posted on a site that's closed and reposting them here. Lucy's a popular title, so it made the cut :) I have about 3,000 reviews or so, but I won't be posting all of them ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
Every time I make any change to my video and audio equipment or their settings, I always watch two discs; Lucy and Mad Max: Fury Road.   I watch them so often that I can always see any difference the changes made.

And even if I haven't made any changes for a while, I will watch them again anyway.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
I'm going through my old reviews that I posted on a site that's closed and reposting them here. Lucy's a popular title, so it made the cut :) I have about 3,000 reviews or so, but I won't be posting all of them ;)
That would be a quick-ish way to get your post count back up, David.

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the movie. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »
Those Lucy eyes tho
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600