AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New Light-Emitting microLED Technology Targeted Towards Front Projection

The display technology is self emitting light LEDs. They claim their current highest performing microLED is 2560 x 1920 (similar to what 1080p eshift puts on screen), but aim to go even higher in pixel density. They claim 1,000,000+ nits of brightness. But of course this is over such a small surface area it amounts to a current potential for 1400 lumens when you combine a single color channel each to make an image. Native contrast is spec'ed at ">20,000:1". However their panels seem to be limited to 8 bit. Obviously the technology is new so I hope they can make upgrade to make 10 bit panels or some type of method where a 10bit resultant image happens on screen.

Their CEO says individual microLED RGB panels should cost between $30-$50 with a current production yield of around 70%. He mentions DLP currently charges around $100 per DMD (for the cheaper model DMDs at least) so there is some potential for this technology making a killing in the budget market. There is no light source needed so the light path, parts, cooling, ect should all be less expensive or non-existent. The raw performance to beat the budget market should be there if 1400 lumens and greater than 20,000:1 contrast is actually achievable. They should have a prototype projector next year according to the CEO.

Here's their webiste:

http://www.jb-display.com/index.php/en/#about-jbd

A video where the company talks a little about the technology:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:38:05 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
So if I have this straight, the R / G / B imaging chips could be the light source themselves if these were used in a projector ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Yeah, the panels themselves are light emitting. So no light source is needed.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

bmoney

intersting...prob buku bucks
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSMike

146" size or larger. Have to reduce resolution, to make smaller. Figure around 350k cost for the 146". It is definitely a technology to keep an eye on. Another one is direct lit Quantum Dot. Quantum Dot may have even more potential video wise. Only problem with all of these solutions is audio. None of them are going to be able to be AT.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
146" size or larger. Have to reduce resolution, to make smaller. Figure around 350k cost for the 146". It is definitely a technology to keep an eye on. Another one is direct lit Quantum Dot. Quantum Dot may have even more potential video wise. Only problem with all of these solutions is audio. None of them are going to be able to be AT.

No, Mike - this is a light emitting chip that would replace existing SXRD / DLP / D-ILA imaging chips AND lamps in a projector itself. Sort of a revolutionary idea.

AVSMike

I got to that post by the home page, which shows new posts only. Just read the first post. Very interesting. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Could totally change projector architecture !

intersting...prob buku bucks

Nope. Seems to be cheaper than a single chip DLP projector. Read the OP.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

This looks really interesting. Could really take over the lower end of the market from DLP / LCD. Seems to be maxed around 1400 lumens for a projector application? Which is not bad if it's calibrated since that'll stay stable for a decade or more.  If they can get the brightness up for good HDR, this could be amazing.

We'll have to wait and see when the prototype comes out, but I agree, this could be a game changer for the budget segment. And even a game changer for the upper segment too if the technology is developed even further.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal