Go Down

Oppo Going Out Of Business

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Oppo Going Out Of Business
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
Re: Oppo Going Out Of Business
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »
Wow!  Didn't see that coming.   :'(  The 203 was my first Oppo player and now looks like it will be my last.  I've thrown a lot of uhd 4k and blu-ray discs at this player and it has been rock solid.   I appreciate all the firmware updates as well.  I'm really sad right now.

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
Caught me by surprise also. Hate to see them leave the market. Says no new products, but I wonder if they will keep manufacturing the existing 203 and 205. If so, then we are a few years away from them completely being out of the industry. I think it will be a few years before we need an 8K player. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
I have been very pleased with my OPPO products, have a  OPPO 83 and 2 OPPO 103D, skipped the OPPO UHD player due to lack of streaming capability and other options, and ill say its tough competition out there, specially looking Panasonics last lineup, and then there is not really anything wrong with the XBOX as a UHD player.
Maybe this is just the first goodbye for the disc media.

As it looks some of the older OPPO players might benefit from some firmware updates to keep the streaming capability up to date, feels like Netflix and youtube firmware on the old players is getting outdated.

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »
I will not be surprised if the 203 goes up in price, once they are not longer available. I think they will at least hold their value for a while.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
I have been very pleased with my OPPO products, have a  OPPO 83 and 2 OPPO 103D, skipped the OPPO UHD player due to lack of streaming capability and other options, and ill say its tough competition out there, specially looking Panasonics last lineup, and then there is not really anything wrong with the XBOX as a UHD player.
Maybe this is just the first goodbye for the disc media.

As it looks some of the older OPPO players might benefit from some firmware updates to keep the streaming capability up to date, feels like Netflix and youtube firmware on the old players is getting outdated.

Doubtful. Panasonic has new 4K players coming with HDR tone mapping. Oppo stated to Widescreen Review that this is a result of their parts prices going up in cost. They don't have the buying power / economy of scale that Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Philips has ( since all of those companies make many more A/V products than just 4K players ). I still feel my Panny UB900 is a better player in some ways than the 203. So, they will be missed, but there are a lot of other choices.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
Wow. Just saw this elsewhere today and like a lot of folks, initially hoped it was a distorted, late April Fool's joke but it's clearly not. I picked up a 105D in 2014 after years of knowing I wanted one of their terrific universal disk players, and was so impressed with the combination of quality and features that nobody else was doing. Grabbed a 203 about a year ago in my initial 4K upgrade. So I'm disappointed to see Oppo go this way, though I guess it's somewhat inevitable with the shrinking of the physical media market.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »
Even they say support will continue, im pretty sure they have no intentions in spending more than they have to, as there is no reason to when the last device is sold.
Ill be very surprised if they add new features via firmware to existing devices from now.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »
Sure - I wouldn't expect any new features either. Just firmware updates that are for disc compatability. At least Oppo has to provide parts for repair for 7 years by law.

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »
Actually feel sad that I've found a quality product well-supported that I thought I would continue to purchase for the future -- now there is no future...

Any though the China/US trade spat may be of impact?  After all, soybeans are in trouble.
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
Actually feel sad that I've found a quality product well-supported that I thought I would continue to purchase for the future -- now there is no future...

Any though the China/US trade spat may be of impact?  After all, soybeans are in trouble.

Hard to say - could be Panasonic's new models with tone mapping on the one hand, and cheap Sony 4K players stealing sales on the other hand. 

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
I too am shocked...a friend of mine just purchased a 205 from them too. I find it interesting that they will continue firmware updates though.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:29 AM »
As OPPO is a MediaTek platform, i wonder if its MediaTek pulling the plug, meaning the identical players like Cambridge Audio is also at a end.?
Anyone knows how the exact connection/ branding.? Are all the Mediatek players of different brands produced at the same factory in China.?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:23:14 PM by stridsvognen »

AVSMike

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
I will say this, they are selling like hotcakes. Oppo is out of 205's and have 1,000 203's left. Oppo said at the current rate, the 203's will not last through the weekend. Oppo said they have sold more 203's in the last two days than they sold for the month of march.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
wow
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600