AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Directv Now

Directv Now
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
I recently dropped Spectrum for my cable needs and have gone to directv now which is a streaming option without contracts. It is a month to month service, I prepaid my first 3 months and got a free 4k apple tv. My previous cable bill was $55 a month, and an additional $15 for HBO now. With directv now I pay $35 for the cable plan which has all the channels I had with spectrum, I also added HBO for $5, Cinemax for $5 and Showtime for $8. So previously I was paying $70 a month for my cable needs, now I pay $53, have more movie channels and access to the service anywhere I go. If your looking for a cord cutting option I would suggest checking this out.

AVSMike

Re: Directv Now
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
I looked at Direct TV and the offering did not look bad. If I was not getting such a good deal from our local company (cable and internet combined) I would consider using Direct TV.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

claw

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
I signed up for the promotion.   I look at it in reverse; I got an Apple TV 4K for just $105, and free Directv Now for three months.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
I use Roku Ultra's. They are only $89 delivered. Seem to do a good job with streaming.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »
I was with Brighthouse cable until Spectrum took over.

My bill has gone up $45 a month in about two years time since this took place, yet I have no new services.  It went up $11 this month.  Part of the reason is because Brighthouse was giving yearly specials which expired and Spectrum will not continue them.  Spectrum told me if I were a new customer, I would be paying an additional 20 a month. I'm paying $136 a month for basic cable channels on two TVs and low bandwidth internet access.  I'm not sure if this is a decent price or not as I have not priced out anything.

Jason, how are you still liking Direct TV?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:24:33 PM by DavidHir »

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
I am still enjoying the Directv Now service, though new subscribers probably wont have the same opinion as me. Directv Now has made changes to their packages, The price has gone up and it seems they have dropped a couple channels. Fortunately I was grandfathered in at my introductory rate, as long as my bill stays the same I will continue to stay with them. When it inevitably goes up I will probably change, I have looked into Philo Tv and Youtube Tv as possible replacements. Directv Now is particularly enticing for me is the way they allow your to subscribe to premium channels for less than purchasing the individual apps. For example I pay $11 a month currently for HBO and Showtime, while just the HBO app is $15. So as I said its been a good source for cable streaming for me, but with the price increase it might not be the best option for others. If your considering Directv Now I would suggest trying the free trial, but make sure that doesnt nullify your ability to utilize the promos should you decide to become a subscriber.   

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
My bill finally went up, not only did I get an increase in rates but a decrease in content quality. I have been having issues with audio delay along with poor image quality at times, to the point where I can be watching a soccer game and by half time the audio is a few minutes behind the video. I experience the issue on multiple apple tvs only with this app, conveniently the app continually says my network is under performing. So now I am looking into different options, sling seems to be the best for the channel lineup I want and I was wondering what other people might be using now? 

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
I threatened to cancel U Verse and buy a Roku , and A T & T lowered our monthly fee. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »
I have been in communication with them a few times and they dont seem to want to budge on pricing, which in all honesty isnt my biggest complaint. It is the poor audio and video quality that seems to be getting worse and worse, even if they were to lower my price at this point it would still be too much of an issue to overlook just to save a couple dollars. Sling is looking like a likely replacement at this point. 

claw

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
I have been pleased with YouTube TV over the past year; even after the price increase from $35 to $50.

All of my locals, and they will be adding the local PBS affiliate around the first of the year.

Only thing lacking for me is 5.1 audio.  But there are rumors that is coming.

YouTube.TV allows adding up to 6 additional family members.  They each have their own login credentials and separate guide and recordings.    Only stipulation is that only three streams can be active.  Since I have 5 brothers and sisters in the area, we pay for two accounts and split the subscription costs for the two accounts by three.  As long as everyone is in the same broadcast area it does not seem to matter if not in the same household. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:01:15 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal