AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Top 10 4k UHD movies - picture list

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Top 10 4k UHD movies - picture list
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »
I never found a 4K projector i liked, so im testing on the LG oled C7, plenty bright, and thats exactely the problem, my eyes can simply not adapt to that light in a dark room.

For daylight inviroment no problem, but for a nice cinematic experience im drawn out of the movie by the eye strain, with the over contrasty artificial look, and i spend a lot of time calibrating and testing different settings, its just so much simpler and more enjoyable to pop in the HD Blu Ray disc, and play it on a fully compatable display who will need no convertion or other funky tweaking to a format no display is capable of displaying acording to the standard nobody really know how will be next week.

That might be your problem. I find 4K HDR to look " overcooked " to my eyes on flat panels. It looks more realistic than Blu-ray on my projector and 128" StudioTek 130 screen. Movies like Fury, 3 Billboards and Logan Lucky look closer to real life. Actually, so do " Life " and " Alien:Covenant " - which make them more disturbing.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »
I'd add The Great Wall to the list of great eye candy.  The movie itself wasn't great, but the picture popped!

You are right. JVC uses it for demos. When JVC stopped in to visit, we watched some clips from Great Wall, since Chris with JVC was very familiar with it on other JVC projectors. Chris said he has never seen the whole movie, but had seen certain clips from the movie, no telling how many times. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
That might be your problem. I find 4K HDR to look " overcooked " to my eyes on flat panels. It looks more realistic than Blu-ray on my projector and 128" StudioTek 130 screen. Movies like Fury, 3 Billboards and Logan Lucky look closer to real life. Actually, so do " Life " and " Alien:Covenant " - which make them more disturbing.

The best experience i had with UHD titles been on my old Pioneer plasma at full pop at 200 nit/60fl feeding it a UHD title converted to 1080P SDR. But there is simply to much variations to UHD masterings to make it a consistent experience, and it takes quite a bit of tinkering and processing to adapt a HDR mastering to a non HDR capable display souch as a projector. ( they might accept HDR, but none of them can trow 1000 nit on a decent size screen, or even 500nit for that matter.)

I wonder what the maximum on off contrast / lightoutput you can cope without blinking your eyes when going from a dark scene to full pop, or the other way around from bright to dark, without loosing information while your eyes adapt.? Whats a comfortable max lightoutput in a perfect dark HT.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
The best experience i had with UHD titles been on my old Pioneer plasma at full pop at 200 nit/60fl feeding it a UHD title converted to 1080P SDR. But there is simply to much variations to UHD masterings to make it a consistent experience, and it takes quite a bit of tinkering and processing to adapt a HDR mastering to a non HDR capable display souch as a projector. ( they might accept HDR, but none of them can trow 1000 nit on a decent size screen, or even 500nit for that matter.)

I wonder what the maximum on off contrast / lightoutput you can cope without blinking your eyes when going from a dark scene to full pop, or the other way around from bright to dark, without loosing information while your eyes adapt.? Whats a comfortable max lightoutput in a perfect dark HT.

I'm currently watching at 47 foot lamberts, and my laser projector can go from 47 foot lamberts to more or less a full blackout, and back to 47 foot lamberts. It's not a problem for my eyes. Neither is a very loud sound track !

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
You are right. JVC uses it for demos. When JVC stopped in to visit, we watched some clips from Great Wall, since Chris with JVC was very familiar with it on other JVC projectors. Chris said he has never seen the whole movie, but had seen certain clips from the movie, no telling how many times. :)

I learned to hate that movie last year at Cedia. That one clip was enough.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm currently watching at 47 foot lamberts, and my laser projector can go from 47 foot lamberts to more or less a full blackout, and back to 47 foot lamberts. It's not a problem for my eyes. Neither is a very loud sound track !

so your compressing HDR from 1000/4000nit to 161nit, thats what ill concider quite heavy compression, im wondering how would a SDR mastering manipulated the other way look like.

To be honest ill guess thats also just in that range i set my OLED, around 50-60fl for HDR10, and with DV the confusion gets even worse.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:27:02 PM by stridsvognen »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
so your compressing HDR from 1000/4000nit to 161nit, thats what ill concider quite heavy compression, im wondering how would a SDR mastering manipulated the other way look like.

To be honest ill guess thats also just in that range i set my OLED, around 50-60fl for HDR10, and with DV the confusion gets even worse.

Say what you want, it looks fabulous. That's all I care about. I have 112 4K movies and 468 Blu-rays. Done right, HDR looks excellent. At least on my RS4500.

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Say what you want, it looks fabulous. That's all I care about. I have 112 4K movies and 468 Blu-rays. Done right, HDR looks excellent. At least on my RS4500.

Ill say its all about preferences, as there is no douing HDR tecnically right as it looks these days.
And fortunatly we can pretty much buy whatever we like as there is something to satisfy every taste out there.

bmoney

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
lets just say you are in the MINORTY and by a LONG shot
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
lets just say you are in the MINORTY and by a LONG shot

Im sure your right, thats why the industri is moving the way it is, money rules.. how many consumers have a chance to look UHD the way its intendet to look from the studios.?

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
 New to this forum. Here are my 10 favorite movies. All look good on my jvc  rs40. Waiting till Feb to get my rs1000 from Mike. Can’t wait to re watch these movies on it

Mortal engines 
Blade runner 2049
Ad astra
Alita battle angel
Annihilation
Aquaman
Avengers endgame
Baby driver 
Braveheart

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 02:02:35 PM »
New to this forum. Here are my 10 favorite movies. All look good on my jvc  rs40. Waiting till Feb to get my rs1000 from Mike. Can’t wait to re watch these movies on it

Mortal engines
Blade runner 2049
Ad astra
Alita battle angel
Annihilation
Aquaman
Avengers endgame
Baby driver
Braveheart
It's getting harder and harder to pick a " top 10 list " the more I watch. Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant Man, Darkest Hour, Hacksaw Ridge - there so many really good looking 4K discs out now. Tenet I'm sure is right up there. Watching Mulan tonight, which just a brief preview looked outstanding too. 

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
It's getting harder and harder to pick a " top 10 list " the more I watch. Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant Man, Darkest Hour, Hacksaw Ridge - there so many really good looking 4K discs out now. Tenet I'm sure is right up there. Watching Mulan tonight, which just a brief preview looked outstanding too.
I’ve been meaning to buy this movie in 4k. I’ve heard it’s reference quality. How’s the soundtrack?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 11:51:15 PM »
I’ve been meaning to buy this movie in 4k. I’ve heard it’s reference quality. How’s the soundtrack?
Which film - Mulan ? I thought the soundtrack was excellent. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal