Blade Runner 2049 4k UHD

bmoney

Blade Runner 2049 4k UHD
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
Picture 10+/10
Sound 10/10
Movie 8/10

28/30 overall

OK so I am not a big fan of the original Blade Runner. It was ok. but definitly a 1 and done for me...yeah ok story..but not into the "true meaning" stuff.  After hearing the tech specs on the new one i knew i had to have it at east for audio visual demo purposes and it didn't disappoint!

I popped this in the night I got it...but couldnt stay awake after an hour...and knowing I had close to two more hours...nope...to be continued..

The story does pick up after the first hour....and I think with multiple viewings it will get even better.  I actually enjoyed this one better than the original...but the picture and sound might have a lot to do with that...along with Ana de Armas :)

The picture is a perfect as it gets...yes its a little dark but shines with HDR (no pun intended)...never crushed or lack of detail...amazing black levels.  crystal clear...just flat awesome! My new number 1 (which was revenant before this one)

Audio...just as great...although my #1 is still IT.  very good use of ATMOS and the bass oh my the bass.....had to turn ity down a bit...wife usually cant hear the theater from the 3rd floor...but could hear/fell this one!

If you are a fan of BR then this is a no brainer...if your a fan of general sci fi and AWESOME picture qulity and Atmos...blind buy for sure!! 4k is the way to go on this one!!

B$
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:05:39 AM by bmoney »
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Blade Runner 2049 4k UHD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the comments bmoney.

I'm the opposite of you in that the original BR is one of my all time favorite movies. I was very into the symbolism and possible interpretations of various elements.

I saw BR 2049 in the theater and had mixed feelings. Very well done in many ways but really needed to be edited down a good 30 minutes or so. I also felt, similar to the original, that there was a lot of underlying detail and meaning that I wasn't able to get to in the first viewing. It's going to be hard to find a 3 hour slot to watch this though as it usually means watching with my wife who isn't a fan of this kind of movie.

I'll probably grab the 4K edition of this though not in a big hurry, I may wait to get a deal on it.

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »
yeah it was a two nighter for me.

Im looking forward to a second viewing...thanks for the comments as well

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments bmoney.

I'm the opposite of you in that the original BR is one of my all time favorite movies. I was very into the symbolism and possible interpretations of various elements.

I saw BR 2049 in the theater and had mixed feelings. Very well done in many ways but really needed to be edited down a good 30 minutes or so. I also felt, similar to the original, that there was a lot of underlying detail and meaning that I wasn't able to get to in the first viewing. It's going to be hard to find a 3 hour slot to watch this though as it usually means watching with my wife who isn't a fan of this kind of movie.

I'll probably grab the 4K edition of this though not in a big hurry, I may wait to get a deal on it.

I'm looking forward to my copy arriving this week ( I waited and did get a deal on it ). At 2 hours 43 minutes, I guess a double feature with the original BR might be a bit much. Might need 2 consecutive nights instead. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
Oh my goodness - this was a great movie ! My wife said " they did an amazing job of keeping the feeling of the first film ". The sound track was outstanding and had my subs working overtime. The picture was top notch too ! 

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
I watched it last night.  The deep, rumbling bass made me worry my foundation would start cracking!  I had to fiddle with my windows this morning, as the wooden frame inserts were buzzing!

Picture quality was spectacular as well.

And with the movie itself being great (in my opinion), this was a very enjoyable experience!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
I watched it last night.  The deep, rumbling bass made me worry my foundation would start cracking!  I had to fiddle with my windows this morning, as the wooden frame inserts were buzzing!

And with the movie itself being great (in my opinion), this was a very enjoyable experience!

The scene with Sean Young was amazing.

claw

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »

The builder of my home installed a ceiling heating duct right above where I placed one of my dual subs.  The metal cover vibrated and rattled throughout the film.   Time to climb up and replace it with some kind of damping material.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

claw

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
The scene with Sean Young was amazing.

There are a few shots of Rachel from the original film inserted.  But the scene where Harrison Ford meets and rejects the new version of Rachel was a body-double actress.  Her head was replaced with a CGI version that was modeled from a scan made of Sean Young's skull.  Sean, being as she is, was not happy with the small part Rachel played in the film.  I originally wondered how they found an actress who looked almost but not exactly like Sean before I found out it was CGI.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:49:36 PM by cjake »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
The builder of my home installed a ceiling heating duct right above where I placed one of my dual subs.  The metal cover vibrated and rattled throughout the film.   Time to climb up and replace it with some kind of damping material.

Dynamat works well.  There are cheaper versions of it that are less expensive and work just as well. :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
There are a few shots of Rachel from the original film inserted.  But the scene where Harrison Ford meets and rejects the new version of Rachel was a body-double actress.  Her head was replaced with a CGI version that was modeled from a scan made of Sean Young's skull.  Sean, being as she is, was not happy with the small part Rachel played in the film.  I originally wondered how they found an actress who looked almost but not exactly like Sean before I found out it was CGI.

They are getting really good at doing this ( like in Star Wars - The Force Awakens etc. ).

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »
I plan on renting this tomorrow night.  Huge fan of the original.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
I plan on renting this tomorrow night.  Huge fan of the original.

Then you will love the new one. I picked mine up on Amazon for $20.00 - " like new, watched once ". Going to screen the original next week on Wed., and the new one for friends on Thursday !

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
watched this again last night.

firstly the picture is just jaw dropping (especially with the oppo tone mapping) i was just amazed over and over

secondly....the movie is SO much better the second time through...A TON more made sense and i really really enjoyed it....I am a big fan of this movie now.

I started watching the OG bladerunner in 4k as well...and found myself enjoying it more as well...now that i am familiar with whats going on....so imho these are not standalone watch once and enjoy movies...they are multiple viewing emjoy movies

glad I watched a second time...I can see me screening this more often when there is luls in releases

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
watched this again last night.

firstly the picture is just jaw dropping (especially with the oppo tone mapping) i was just amazed over and over

secondly....the movie is SO much better the second time through...A TON more made sense and i really really enjoyed it....I am a big fan of this movie now.

I started watching the OG bladerunner in 4k as well...and found myself enjoying it more as well...now that i am familiar with whats going on....so imho these are not standalone watch once and enjoy movies...they are multiple viewing emjoy movies

glad I watched a second time...I can see me screening this more often when there is luls in releases

Watching the original followed by the new one on back to back nights had everybody raving in my theater. I agree - the 2nd viewing of BR2049 was even better than the first - picked up on a lot of things I had missed, and it was better the 2nd time around !!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal