AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Opinions??

Opinions??
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
Dont know if this is the right place to do this, but just had a thought i find important to share.

I think it would be wise to separate forum and sales activity, if the forum part is to be seen as a free forum, we all know there is a sales part to AVSCIENCE, but pushing it in public threads can get a bit of a show stopper, as it feels uncomfortable to disagree or recommend against something the forum staff is trying to sell/ push in a specifik thread.

I think the general hope is for a forum that is non political/ financial biased to the content of the forum, wich dont mean the forum cant work as indirect adverticement and cast off sales.

Re: Opinions??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
You have the right board to inquire about such things, but you should have started a new topic with your inquiry, the other staff here will need to address this issue for you, my function here is to resolve problems in functionality of the system.

Sorry for the mess, and thanks for the advice, hope a moderator can move it to a new thread.

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:29:07 PM »
Dont know if this is the right place to do this, but just had a thought i find important to share.

I think it would be wise to separate forum and sales activity, if the forum part is to be seen as a free forum, we all know there is a sales part to AVSCIENCE, but pushing it in public threads can get a bit of a show stopper, as it feels uncomfortable to disagree or recommend against something the forum staff is trying to sell/ push in a specifik thread.

I think the general hope is for a forum that is non political/ financial biased to the content of the forum, wich dont mean the forum cant work as indirect adverticement and cast off sales.

I looked through Craig's and my posts. Here is what I saw. We have mentioned the Epson 5040 on sale for $2,799. That is an Epson sale, not AVS. All Epson dealers will have that projector for that price. We are just letting people know Epson is having that sale here in the US. If you go to the 5040/6040 thread on AVSF, you will see that several different posters have also mentioned this Epson sale. We have mentioned that we have Black Friday deals on items, but we did not list any prices. We also listed we had some B-stock projectors, but we did not list what we had or the pricing. Other than that, I have a post where I listed the cost of screen samples (free & $75), once I was asked by a poster, if samples of V6 could be sent to him.

As far as recommendations on equipment, you and anybody else is free to make recommendations. Is there a particular post that you can point out?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:38:43 PM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:29 AM »
http://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=136.0

This thread gives me the feeling of a salesman on duty, nothing specially bad about that, but we all know how forums works in the end.. Money rules..

If this grows into a big international forum.. you stock a product, maybe a bit to many, and someone starts pointing out some problematic errors on that specifik product.. We all knows who gets shown the door.

It takes a very high moral, and steady principles to run a forum where the users feel free to actually share everything.. And as the world look today i think a place like that is needet..

The talk i hear around is that people dont need another forum, but if you can create a unike forum, with the freedom and hight moral, i think it might become a place of big interest.
And with sales and forum tied together, your just another forum, like all the others, that is there to make money.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
http://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=136.0

This thread gives me the feeling of a salesman on duty, nothing specially bad about that, but we all know how forums works in the end.. Money rules..

If this grows into a big international forum.. you stock a product, maybe a bit to many, and someone starts pointing out some problematic errors on that specifik product.. We all knows who gets shown the door.

It takes a very high moral, and steady principles to run a forum where the users feel free to actually share everything.. And as the world look today i think a place like that is needet..

The talk i hear around is that people dont need another forum, but if you can create a unike forum, with the freedom and hight moral, i think it might become a place of big interest.
And with sales and forum tied together, your just another forum, like all the others, that is there to make money.

I'm going to chime in on this as you seem to think you know the answers as to what a forum should be and that a forum should not involve sales, and that morals should not involve money, and also that somehow you equate efforts to get a return for the costs of maintaining a website such as this or any other website is immoral... sir, you tread very contentious grounds with these types of blanket statements of opinion. What my 30+ years in the IT industry and business world have shown me is that the internet in all its various forms, whether it be blogs, a traditional website, or a forum site is all about money. As for equating making money with being moral or immoral, I leave to people who are a lot smarter than I to debate. But it all boils down to one thing, it is all a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that there is nothing at all wrong with using a forum to promote a business or a line of products, what some folks seem to forget is the very nature of business all down through the centuries of history are not just about the money alone, its really about social networking, building relationships. And forum type websites are the perfect venue for building relationships. Another aspect to forum sites that boggles my mind is that the average surfer expects everything about a social site to be free. I'm going to leave it at that as to go down the rabbit hole any further will involve discussion of politics and being PC is not my forte and the easiest way to push peoples' buttons which is not my role here.
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
I'm going to chime in on this as you seem to think you know the answers as to what a forum should be and that a forum should not involve sales, and that morals should not involve money, and also that somehow you equate efforts to get a return for the costs of maintaining a website such as this or any other website is immoral... sir, you tread very contentious grounds with these types of blanket statements of opinion. What my 30+ years in the IT industry and business world have shown me is that the internet in all its various forms, whether it be blogs, a traditional website, or a forum site is all about money. As for equating making money with being moral or immoral, I leave to people who are a lot smarter than I to debate. But it all boils down to one thing, it is all a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that there is nothing at all wrong with using a forum to promote a business or a line of products, what some folks seem to forget is the very nature of business all down through the centuries of history are not just about the money alone, its really about social networking, building relationships. And forum type websites are the perfect venue for building relationships. Another aspect to forum sites that boggles my mind is that the average surfer expects everything about a social site to be free. I'm going to leave it at that as to go down the rabbit hole any further will involve discussion of politics and being PC is not my forte and the easiest way to push peoples' buttons which is not my role here.

I think you read my posts a bit more seriously than whats intendet, im just bringin up a subject that i find has involved every forum i been around, not sayin i know best or better than anyone else.

I think everybody know this forum is a breakout from the AVSForum.com wich is very driven by advertising, and if you review a product from a vendor there, and it happens to be a troublesome product, you can be sure its deleted and your guidet right out the backdoor.. So there is always the rules to a forum, and then there is the true motives, and all the grayzone behind the scene.. wich you will never meet as long as you dont touch a sensitive subject..

Its up to the owners of a forum, what kind of forum they want, and the users then generate the kind of content on the forum the forum owners let them create. And the consumer market today is so full of false specs and advertising so if you want, its easy to find it and document it..

So i can ask in a different way.. If i write a user review of a product sold by avscience where i document flaws and false specs on a product avscience sells, will it generate a lot af personal feelings from the staff, like on any other forum, or is this a forum where that kind of information is welcome, and seen as a help to chose the best products for the end consumers.? and not for destroying sales and profit on that product or brand.?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:53:30 AM by stridsvognen »

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
With all due respect to all of our members and visitors, there is no doubt that this forum is an avenue of revenue for us; BUT, the difference between AVS and other forums is that we are not pushy, we do not have pop up or scrolling banner ads and we don't act like "big brother" monitoring every single post.  Members are free to post as they wish, as long as the information is true and not malicious.  Everybody has different ideas about their passions or hobbies, that is why they are called opinions. We embrace discussion and encourage it - good and not so good.  :)
And just so you know, the only way you might get pushed out the door around here is if you consistently post false information or are disrespectful to other members. 
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
I think you read my posts a bit more seriously than whats intendet, im just bringin up a subject that i find has involved every forum i been around, not sayin i know best or better than anyone else.

I think everybody know this forum is a breakout from the AVSForum.com wich is very driven by advertising, and if you review a product from a vendor there, and it happens to be a troublesome product, you can be sure its deleted and your guidet right out the backdoor.. So there is always the rules to a forum, and then there is the true motives, and all the grayzone behind the scene.. wich you will never meet as long as you dont touch a sensitive subject..

Its up to the owners of a forum, what kind of forum they want, and the users then generate the kind of content on the forum the forum owners let them create. And the consumer market today is so full of false specs and advertising so if you want, its easy to find it and document it..

So i can ask in a different way.. If i write a user review of a product sold by avscience where i document flaws and false specs on a product avscience sells, will it generate a lot af personal feelings from the staff, like on any other forum, or is this a forum where that kind of information is welcome, and seen as a help to chose the best products for the end consumers.? and not for destroying sales and profit on that product or brand.?

You bring up some very good points there, I have witnessed this type of behavior from site owners and moderators on social sites as well, and I am going to say only this, the ultimate decision about the content of any site, social or otherwise, is totally in control of the owners. The consequences of methodology in dealing with such things reveals itself over time and either be positive or negative again, either the user learns a lesson or the owners or moderators learn a lesson. Still boils down to opinions, and any experienced surfer sees this and still has free will to form their own opinion, Dr Michio Kaku describes the internet as a "type one civilization telephone system" but he reminds us by classifying our overall current civilization as a type zero, where a type one civilization is one which has peace, prosperity, and is a space faring civilization... I don't know about yall but I look forward to becoming a type one civilization, bring it  ;)
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »

Both Mike and I have our own home theaters, and we all know that there is no perfect projector / screen etc. While we do sell home theater equipment, we also use the gear we sell. It's all about making informed decisions. I frequently use Sound and Vision ( Kris Deering ) and projectorreviews.com, for actual specifications on projectors, since we all know most manufacturer's contrast and lumen specifications are misleading at best. So your reviews are welcome.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
With all due respect to all of our members and visitors, there is no doubt that this forum is an avenue of revenue for us; BUT, the difference between AVS and other forums is that we are not pushy, we do not have pop up or scrolling banner ads and we don't act like "big brother" monitoring every single post.  Members are free to post as they wish, as long as the information is true and not malicious.  Everybody has different ideas about their passions or hobbies, that is why they are called opinions. We embrace discussion and encourage it - good and not so good.  :)
And just so you know, the only way you might get pushed out the door around here is if you consistently post false information or are disrespectful to other members.

False information is a hard one to judge, its not likely that anyone will pop up and claim Mars to be green, or the earth flat, and the moon made of cheese, as you mention lots is opinion based.

Whos the all knowing and always right judge of right and wrong.. ;)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:28:36 PM by stridsvognen »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
False information is a hard one to judge, its not likely that anyone will pop up and claim Mars to be green, or the earth flat, and the moon made of cheese, as you mention lots is opinion based.

Whos the all knowing and always right judge of right and wrong.
. ;)

Community consensus. Especially when the community is armed with calibration equipment.  8)

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Community consensus. Especially when the community is armed with calibration equipment.  8)
Not everything can be measured and has any relevance to calibration.. Like if i state Lumagen offers the best support.. How will you measure that with your probe.. Is green right and red false.? And where will you point the probe, and are you sure there is not a bug in the calibration software, or a interference.. :P :P

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Not everything can be measured and has any relevance to calibration.. Like if i state Lumagen offers the best support.. How will you measure that with your probe.. Is green right and red false.? And where will you point the probe, and are you sure there is not a bug in the calibration software, or a interference.. :P :P

Support / customer service is also verifiable by community consensus. Let's move on - thanks !

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal