AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Thoughts on neutral gain screen

Thoughts on neutral gain screen
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »
Looking for opinions on white 1.0-1.2 gain screens
materials that are uniform and no artifacts or shimmering.
Currently using a Elite Cine 1.1 has artifacts and uniformity
Issues. Please name your screen material and thoughts.
Lord Voldermort 9518LC Mooded 200lbs of awsomnes

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Thoughts on neutral gain screen
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
Looking for opinions on white 1.0-1.2 gain screens
materials that are uniform and no artifacts or shimmering.
Currently using a Elite Cine 1.1 has artifacts and uniformity
Issues. Please name your screen material and thoughts.

If you have to have no artifacts or shimmer, it's pretty much going to have to be the StudioTek 100. That said, I find my Stewart Cima Neve and StudioTek 130 G3 to be very uniform, and the minimal shimmer doesn't bother me. Email us and we can send you samples of all three ( and other screen manufacturer's materials too ). 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
I just had a sample book of all the different ADEO screen materials to look at.
For ultimate best image a neutral gain screen is a must have, most of the gain screens actually reduce the light, and the shimmer effect bothers me quite a lot. But we all have different expectations to image quality, so its best to see the different materials before you buy one.
A good neutral reference screen dont have to cost a lot, and as your running CRT ill recommend a neutral gain screen, as gain screens will take away some of the netural film look.

I find it better to reduce screen size than using gain screen if light output is a issue.

If you want a gain screen Stewart is a good option, but the sound transparent Stewart screens is not something i would ever have to live with. And if you go neutral there is no reason to pay the extra for a Stewart screen.

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
Stewart ST100 is the reference standard, that all others are measured by. There are other good 1.0 gain screens out there, but none of them quite measure up to ST100, that is why ST100 is the reference standard, that others compare against. But like every screen there are drawbacks. In the case of ST100, you will be more limited on screen size, compared to a 1.3 gain screen, but you will get a better image. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »
Stewart ST100 is the reference standard, that all others are measured by. There are other good 1.0 gain screens out there, but none of them quite measure up to ST100, that is why ST100 is the reference standard, that others compare against. But like every screen there are drawbacks. In the case of ST100, you will be more limited on screen size, compared to a 1.3 gain screen, but you will get a better image.

I think the projector sets the screen size limitation.. Depending on light output and other limiting factors, as you say the screen can compensate for some of it, but not without a trade in, so you give some to get some.. As Greg is running his projector, he have pretty much infinite contrast.. That means he can better deal with less light output than a projector with a elevated black level, and CRT already have a light drop around the edge, so adding a gain screen will just enhace that and add color uniformity issues, as the tubes all have different angle to the screen.

I know Greg likes it immersive, so he sits 8 ft from a 8ft wide screen..Or he moved closer.?

Whats the price of a 110" neutral gain stewart screen.. Just to have a idea about cost vs performance.?

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
I think the projector sets the screen size limitation.. Depending on light output and other limiting factors, as you say the screen can compensate for some of it, but not without a trade in, so you give some to get some.. As Greg is running his projector, he have pretty much infinite contrast.. That means he can better deal with less light output than a projector with a elevated black level, and CRT already have a light drop around the edge, so adding a gain screen will just enhace that and add color uniformity issues, as the tubes all have different angle to the screen.

I know Greg likes it immersive, so he sits 8 ft from a 8ft wide screen..Or he moved closer.?

Whats the price of a 110" neutral gain stewart screen.. Just to have a idea about cost vs performance.?

MSRP is $2,749. Screens like everything else in HT is always a choice in what compromises you are willing to make and what works best in your room.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies looking for the best sub 1000.00 screen
in a 1.0 that is the best for the money.

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies looking for the best sub 1000.00 screen
in a 1.0 that is the best for the money.

Slightly above 1.0 gain, but consider the Carada Brilliant White fabric. The fabric is very smooth and neutral. Slightly above 1.0 gain. Give us a call and we can discuss this and other options.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
I had a sample of the Carada Brilliant White and I think it's a great bargain.  A lot of people really like it.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
I've been very happy with my Elite Screen that has a 1.0 gain. Especially considering the price I paid for my 138" 2.35 screen.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:10:02 AM by AVSMike »
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »
Greg, what screen is it you using now, i forgot..?

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
Greg, what screen is it you using now, i forgot..?
cine white 1.1 and it has artifacts in the image

AVSMike

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
cine white 1.1 and it has artifacts in the image

Not all low gain screens are going to be artifact free. There is a reason why some screens cost more than others.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal