AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Whats the last Bluray you watched?

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #420 on: August 23, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
Well, this wasn't a Blu-ray, but this thread is by far the most active for this type of post, so I hope I'm forgiven for this infraction! 8)

I watched Eurovision Song Contest last night, which is HDR, on Netflix.  The movie itself was funny, silly, touching at times, and for me, a welcome break from the daily stress of living in a Covid 19 world.

The picture quality was simply stunning throughout the movie.  The detail was phenomenal, colors really popped, the HDR impact was delightful (but not unnatural), giving it an almost '3D' like effect.  To my photographers eye, it seemed like the depth of field was generally wider than what I typically see in most movies, which may account in part for some of that 3D effect.

And the soundtrack, with a lot of music, was thoroughly enjoyable - crisp, clear, floating voices, and resounding bass tracks.  As with many streaming titles, I had to bump up the volume level several dB from my usual, but once I did that, it was extremely satisfying.

Now, there likely will not be any Oscar nominations for this film, and I'm sure it wouldn't stand up to serious film critique.  But it was a very pleasant diversion, with way more eye and ear candy, than you might expect from a movie like this, especially from a streaming source.

Re: Whats the last Bluray you watched?
« Reply #421 on: August 23, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »
Not Blu-ray either, but my wife and I just binged watched "Poldark" on Amazon Prime the past couple of weeks (5 seasons, 43 episodes). The first 3 seasons were outstanding, but the writing and story took a turn for the worse starting in season 4 (which was just above average) and fell off the cliff in season 5 (well below average). We stuck it through knowing that 5 was the last season and we will miss the characters and their story. Despite its flaws at the end, I'd still recommend it. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #422 on: August 23, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »
The last Blu-ray ( 4K in this case ) I watched was " Rocket Man " with friends that hadn't seen it last Friday night, and " Hans Zimmer Live in Prague " the night before that. Both have killer Dolby Atmos sound tracks !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #423 on: August 23, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
The last Blu-ray ( 4K in this case ) I watched was " Rocket Man " with friends that hadn't seen it last Friday night, and " Hans Zimmer Live in Prague " the night before that. Both have killer Dolby Atmos sound tracks !
I listen to the Zimmer disc a lot. Whenever we are playing a board game or have people over for a BBQ. Everyone seems to love it and the bass is to die for!
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #424 on: August 23, 2020, 10:10:01 PM »
I listen to the Zimmer disc a lot. Whenever we are playing a board game or have people over for a BBQ. Everyone seems to love it and the bass is to die for!
In fact I was testing out the new subs with that disc!

« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »
I am new to this forum, been on the other one since the early 2000's and thought I would throw out my last one I watched. I watched the new Shout! bluray of Graveyard Shift. I love that movie and it still holds up today if you can get past the wooden acting and the cheapy fx but Brad Dourif is on point in this one.

« Reply #426 on: October 10, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
Last night the hurricane was roaring through and we lost power but thankfully the whole house generator was working just fine.  Me and the wife decided to watch Gotcha! (1985) from KL Studio Classics. This movie is a nice little trip back to the 80's. I had to remind my wife that it was a game also you could by at KB Toys or Toys R Us, not to mention a NES game.  

bmoney

« Reply #427 on: October 10, 2020, 10:36:07 PM »
Last night the hurricane was roaring through and we lost power but thankfully the whole house generator was working just fine.  Me and the wife decided to watch Gotcha! (1985) from KL Studio Classics. This movie is a nice little trip back to the 80's. I had to remind my wife that it was a game also you could by at KB Toys or Toys R Us, not to mention a NES game. 

Omg. Major blast from the past!!!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
Omg. Major blast from the past!!!
Yeah it was. The movie though has nothing to do with the game really but that is usual.  Tonight is probably Skinner (1993).

« Reply #429 on: October 11, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »
I watched the Blu-ray of "The Haunting" last night (I had never seen the entire movie). Typically this isn't my genre, but I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack kicks some serious ass too. I'll have a review up some time this week. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
I watched the Blu-ray of "The Haunting" last night (I had never seen the entire movie). Typically this isn't my genre, but I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack kicks some serious ass too. I'll have a review up some time this week.
I always liked that movie. Doesnt hurt that Catherine Zeta Jones is in it.

bmoney

« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »
Watched Sherlock Holmes on 4k (guy Ritchie) such a nicely done movie. Wish it were scope tho lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
re-watched Magnificent 7 last night....great sound...great cast

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
re-watched Magnificent 7 last night....great sound...great cast
The new one, or the original one? I watched them both back to back a year or so ago, which was fun ! 

bmoney

« Reply #434 on: October 13, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
The new one, or the original one? I watched them both back to back a year or so ago, which was fun !
the new one...ive actually never seen the OG one

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player