AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Roku 4K/UHD Streaming Players

Roku 4K/UHD Streaming Players
« on: November 08, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »
Roku recently begin shipping their 2nd generation of 4K/UHD Roku streaming/media players. Note that while the main focus of these Roku units is their streaming functions, the flag-ship model can also play videos stored on local media.  The Roku 4 came out in late 2015 and was their first attempt to produce a 4K player.  It had a number of issues and limitations, some of which were addressed via subsequent firmware updates, but some were never addressed and in fact a few are carried over to the new series of 4K players.

Roku web site for their current line-up of players is at:
https://www.roku.com/products

The Roku Premiere ($79.99) is the entry-level 4K player, the Premiere + ($99.99) is the mid-level model that adds HDR support, and the Ultra ($129.99) is the flagship model that adds voice search, remote finder and optical digital audio output.

The fan noise and heat issues of the original Roku 4 seem to have been addressed with the new models.  However, the new 4K models still insist on outputting 4K/UHD programming at 60Hz and for me this is an issue when the original content is 2160p @ 24Hz.  This conversion to 60Hz introduces 3:2 pull-down which introduces image judder that your UHD display may not be able to correct.  Also 60Hz is placing unnecessary bandwidth requirements on the HDMI connection.  This latter item can be an issue for home theater owners using displays (e.g., projectors) with long HDMI cable runs where very few existing high speed HDMI cables have proven to offer reliable connections for HDMI 2.0 when the data rates approach the 18Gbps limit.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:54:56 AM by Ron Jones »
Ron Jones
Reviewer/Writer/Blogger for Projector Reviews
http://www.projectorreviews.com

Re: Roku 4K/UHD Streaming Players
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »
Hi Maybe you can help me answer this as its been a year and its driving me crazy.. I currently have the roku 4 connected straight to my rs400 and i have an optical from the roku to my yamaha receiver which is hdmi 1.4. Should i still be getting a purple screen.. Seems like i have to unplug everything a few times to then get a picture for a day or a few hours before i get the purple screen again.. The cables i have are premium certified hdcp 2.2 18 gbps.. Tomorrow I will be doing the u83.2 update which helps with the hdmi handshake but i thought this was only to improve the handshake between the samsung player and the projector..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:11:23 PM by jorgebetancourt »

AVSMike

Re: Roku 4K/UHD Streaming Players
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »
Roku has address the problem with frame rate. You can now select native frame rate so that movies are played at 24P rather than 60p. I have been using a couple Roku Ultra's in my systems.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal