AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Roku 4K Players

Roku 4K Players
« on: November 08, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
Roku recently begin shipping their 2nd generation of 4K/UHD Roku streaming/media players.  While the main focus of these Roku units is their streaming functions, the flag-ship model (i.e., Roku Ultra) can also play video/audio/photo files stored on local media.  The file formats supported are:

Video — H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV)

Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A)

Image — JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The Roku 4 came out in late 2015 and was Roku's first attempt to produce a 4K player.  It had a number of issues and limitations, some of which were addressed via subsequent firmware updates, but some were never addressed and in fact a few are carried over to the new series of 4K players.

Roku web site for their current line-up of players is at:
https://www.roku.com/products

The Roku Premiere ($79.99) is the entry-level 4K player, the Premiere + ($99.99) is the mid-level model that adds HDR support, and the Ultra ($129.99) is the flagship model that adds voice search, remote finder and optical digital audio output.

The fan noise and heat issues of the original Roku 4 seem to have been addressed with the new models.  However, the new 4K models still insist on outputting 4K/UHD programming at 60Hz and for me this is an issue when the original content is 2160p @ 24Hz.  This conversion to 60Hz introduces 3:2 pull-down which introduces image judder that your UHD display may not be able to correct.  Also 60Hz is placing unnecessary bandwidth requirements on the HDMI connection.  This latter item can be an issue for home theater owners using displays (e.g., projectors) with long HDMI cable runs where very few existing high speed HDMI cables have proven to offer reliable connections for HDMI 2.0 when the data rates approach the 18Gbps limit.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:02:37 AM by Ron Jones »
Ron Jones
Reviewer/Writer/Blogger for Projector Reviews
http://www.projectorreviews.com

Re: Roku 4K Player Surround Sound
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 01:52:21 AM »
I have the JVC DLA-RS2000K projector, a Dish receiver, the Audiophile OPPO205 player and the Roku Ultra. The Dish, OPPO and the ROKU are connected via HDMI to my Marantz AV8602 processor. 

I can only get stereo from the Roku to the Marantz. Technical support states that the Roku's were not meant for projectors but TVs. I informed them that the Roku is not connected to a TV or the JVC projector but, rather, the Marantz AV processor. 

Am I confused about getting surround sound with the above set up? I don't see how the  projector plays any part in getting the surround sound from the Roku when it's only connected to the AV processor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Re: Roku 4K Players
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
My brother has a Roku 4K attached to his Marantz 7011 and he gets surroundsound. I have an apple 4K attached to my Marantz 8015 And I get surroundsound. The problem could be in either one of the units or in their settings. But you should be able to get around from your Marantz
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »
Check Settings -> Audio -> Audio Mode, should have "Auto" selected instead of Stereo. 

If that isn't it, is there specific content you are confident should be in surround, that we can compare?

Just verified mine with a couple of Bond movies on the Amazon Prime app.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 12:38:20 PM »
The Roku is set to "Auto" sound.

I even tried the third option (forgot it's name) but to no avail. The last statement from Roku technical support was that the Roku was not meant to be used with a projector (which I find ridiculous).

All the new Star Trek and Marvel films are broadcast in multi-channel. I only get stereo. I've tried unplugging/repluging the electrical cord, unplugging/re...the HDMI cable as well as the ethernet cable...nothing!) I'm stuck on "Stereo" mode.

I get multi-channel sound from Dish Network and from my Audiophile OPPO player with no problems.

Whenever I respond to Roku technical support, I feel like I'm getting different people to answer...and I don't know why they are telling me, in essence, that basically I cannot get mult-channel due to my using a projector!

I'm almost considering trying another brand other than Roku but I don't want that as an answer to this problem.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 01:53:29 PM »
That's really frustrating - seems like you're doing everything right. Can you try this Roku with someone else's system where a streaming device is known to be passing surround? Or vice versa - borrow a friend's Roku that is known to work in passing surround?

Really annoying to hear ignorant statements like it isn't meant to be used with a projector. Since HDMI is a complete chain, theoretically the display could have an effect on the entire signal but not just degrading the audio portion. 

One last "obvious" question you probably already checked - does the Marantz have any settings or defaults per input? I've had processors in the past that you could set individual inputs to default to various things.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »
Paul,

That's an interesting idea. No, I have not checked the settings per input...will do it this afternoon.
Thanks

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 03:30:46 PM »
The Roku is set to "Auto" sound.

I even tried the third option (forgot it's name) but to no avail. The last statement from Roku technical support was that the Roku was not meant to be used with a projector (which I find ridiculous).

All the new Star Trek and Marvel films are broadcast in multi-channel. I only get stereo. I've tried unplugging/repluging the electrical cord, unplugging/re...the HDMI cable as well as the ethernet cable...nothing!) I'm stuck on "Stereo" mode.

I get multi-channel sound from Dish Network and from my Audiophile OPPO player with no problems.

Whenever I respond to Roku technical support, I feel like I'm getting different people to answer...and I don't know why they are telling me, in essence, that basically I cannot get mult-channel due to my using a projector!

I'm almost considering trying another brand other than Roku but I don't want that as an answer to this problem.
I dont have any experience with Roku but this link to their site says to try and set the audio in your Roku to custom, then selecting the audio format the streaming service can output. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208754498

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 04:16:23 PM »
Yes...custom was the option I was trying to think of in the above entries. I will try it this afternoon (although I think I already tried it).

Thanks for reminding me.

O.K. folks,...I give up! No multi channel on anything I try for the Roku...perhaps I should think of another Rokuish device!! I get incorrect info from Roku and have tried all the changes over and over again but to no avail...

Any suggestions!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:55:13 PM by ed weinman »

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 07:11:58 PM »
Yes...custom was the option I was trying to think of in the above entries. I will try it this afternoon (although I think I already tried it).

Thanks for reminding me.

O.K. folks,...I give up! No multi channel on anything I try for the Roku...perhaps I should think of another Rokuish device!! I get incorrect info from Roku and have tried all the changes over and over again but to no avail...

Any suggestions!!
Most of the people on the forums think the Apple TV 4K is the best media streamer. With all of the 'expert help' you have received from Roku, I don't know how you could consider getting another one of their products. Just a thought...... 8)
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 09:17:43 PM »

Thanks for reminding me.

Any suggestions!!
I'm successfully using 2 Roku Ultra's, used with a Sony STN-1080 AVR in my family room (TV), and in my theater used with a Marantz SR7010 (Projector). They work extremely well, and I get the full surround sound for whatever each show and channel provides, including Atmos.

As a few posts above have suggested, my guess is that there is something misconfigured in your Marantz AVR, since several of us use comparable Marantz units without problem. There's always a possibility there's some defect in your Roku, but I would give that a low probability. A full factory reset of the Roku might also be worth trying if all else fails.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »
SOLVED!! SOLVED!!

It took one phone call to Mike at AVScience to resolve the lack of surround sound problem!!!

On the Marantz av processor there are four buttons colored green, red, blue and yellow. He told me to push the green one which is marked "Movie" and, would you know, a list pops up giving you six or seven options for sound, one of which is....guess!...surround sound!

I can't believe, after months of this problem, to have the great AVScience rep., Mike, to resolve it for me. I've been a customer for a long time now and have always relied on him. I just did not call him earlier because I thought that I would be bothering him...BUT...NO!...he's just a wonderful person per se and very knowledgeable.

Thank you, Mike.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 04:21:41 PM »
Glad it was something super simple! 8)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 05:33:08 PM »
It may have been a simple solution but I'm peeved at Roku's "expert" technician informing me that the Roku was not meant for projectors! Of course he could probably have not known the workings of the av processor that solved the problem but if Roku technical help informs their clients of misinformation about this, what else are they doing?!

Al well...at least I can breathe after no surround for months!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal