AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Favorite Movies to demo your system

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Favorite Movies to demo your system
« on: November 07, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
I have a few movies that are favorites to demo my setup, and I am sure many of you also have favorites too.

What are your favorite movies for Demoing or just sheer pleasure of watching?

Mine are (in no particular order):
1: Avatar...I know a lot of people don't like it, but this movie just pulls me in to it's world, and keeps my attention for the whole movie.

2: Pitch Perfect... My wife and I usually don't go for musical movies, but this one is our favorite. My wife and I have watched this movie at least 50 times! We love the characters in the movie, and all the music, so it is easy to watch over and over. In the past my wife and I have watched it in our Living Room, and then when it was over I have watched it again in the HT (in the HT it is like watching the movie for the first time again). I have become so accustomed to the sound that I use it for a reference after a room tune. When I was modding my room (sometimes daily), and running the room tune software... I could immediately tell if something was a good change or not.

3: Edge of Tomorrow...this one has the deepest bass I have ever heard on my setup. I highly recommend you be very careful with the levels or you might blow your sub on the opening intro.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »
I have a few movies that are favorites to demo my setup, and I am sure many of you also have favorites too.

What are your favorite movies for Demoing or just sheer pleasure of watching?

Mine are (in no particular order):
1: Avatar...I know a lot of people don't like it, but this movie just pulls me in to it's world, and keeps my attention for the whole movie.

2: Pitch Perfect... My wife and I usually don't go for musical movies, but this one is our favorite. My wife and I have watched this movie at least 50 times! We love the characters in the movie, and all the music, so it is easy to watch over and over. In the past my wife and I have watched it in our Living Room, and then when it was over I have watched it again in the HT (in the HT it is like watching the movie for the first time again). I have become so accustomed to the sound that I use it for a reference after a room tune. When I was modding my room (sometimes daily), and running the room tune software... I could immediately tell if something was a good change or not.

3: Edge of Tomorrow...this one has the deepest bass I have ever heard on my setup. I highly recommend you be very careful with the levels or you might blow your sub on the opening intro.

The same goes for the first few minutes of " The Dark Knight Rises " - I had it set to reference ( 80 ) and it was so loud ( before I realized it ) I could smell my PC 12 + subs cooking ! That is one loud movie - mixed way louder than the previous " The Dark Knight " was.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »
The same goes for the first few minutes of " The Dark Knight Rises " - I had it set to reference ( 80 ) and it was so loud ( before I realized it ) I could smell my PC 12 + subs cooking ! That is one loud movie - mixed way louder than the previous " The Dark Knight " was.
I will have to revisit "The Dark Night Rises" to check out the levels on my setup.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »
Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition with the Atmos soundtrack.

FWIW: The 747 Takeoff, an audio only track on the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sep 2015) tends to amaze folks especially when played loudly.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition with the Atmos soundtrack.

FWIW: The 747 Takeoff, an audio only track on the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sep 2015) tends to amaze folks especially when played loudly.

Gravity is a great example of using LFE / bass to raise the level of apprehension and tension in a movie. I've come to appreciate that film much more, since getting my RS600 projector and twin SVS PC12+ subs !!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
I need to watch Gravity again since I now have subs.

laugsbach

• Die Young as Old as You Can
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
Gravity is a great example of using LFE / bass to raise the level of apprehension and tension in a movie. I've come to appreciate that film much more, since getting my RS600 projector and twin SVS PC12+ subs !!

I completely agree...The first Hunger Games does the same.

My current demo is the Atmos track from Everest...in no particular order here are some more:

Tron: Legacy
Oblivion
Star Trek (2009)
Inception
Interstellar
Incredible Hulk
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian

NBPk402

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »
I completely agree...The first Hunger Games does the same.

My current demo is the Atmos track from Everest...in no particular order here are some more:

Tron: Legacy
Oblivion
Star Trek (2009)
Inception
Interstellar
Incredible Hulk
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian

Thanks for reminding me of more movies which are great for Demos.  :)

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »
I have a few titles i uses as reference when testing and tweaking projectors..

Lawrance of Arabia.. True piece of art shot in 70mm

Apocalyoto. Very high quality, and natural.

Baraka/ Samsara. Breathtaking scenery from around the world shot in 70mm very high quality.

Operation Valkyrie, great quality, and both very bright and very dark scenes.. Some that is a challenge for most displays to produce right.

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2.. Last one.. Reference low level scenes.. Absolutely breathtaking if you have true infinite on off contrast..

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »
The opening sequence of Prometheus has become sort of my personal demo. Every time I make some sort of system change this is the first scene I always check out, especially when making sound adjustments. Its just a phenomenal sequence IMO.
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

NBPk402

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:13 PM »
I have a few titles i uses as reference when testing and tweaking projectors..

Lawrance of Arabia.. True piece of art shot in 70mm

Apocalyoto. Very high quality, and natural.

Baraka/ Samsara. Breathtaking scenery from around the world shot in 70mm very high quality.

Operation Valkyrie, great quality, and both very bright and very dark scenes.. Some that is a challenge for most displays to produce right.

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2.. Last one.. Reference low level scenes.. Absolutely breathtaking if you have true infinite on off contrast..
I saw your pics in the other thread, and if I had not known they were on a CRT, I would have never known it! The pictures are stunning!

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
I saw your pics in the other thread, and if I had not known they were on a CRT, I would have never known it! The pictures are stunning!
Cant post full size screenshots, so they are resized, and im using a old 10mp CCD sensor camera, so there is still a bit to desire in regard to resolution.

The first one is from Apocalypto, the 2nd from Samsara.

NBPk402

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »
Cant post full size screenshots, so they are resized, and im using a old 10mp CCD sensor camera, so there is still a bit to desire in regard to resolution.

The first one is from Apocalypto, the 2nd from Samsara.
What I meant was that the images looked so great I would never have thought that they were 1080P CRT images, because they looked better than any image I have ever seen on a projector. Now I know that a CRT can produce images that are still better than 4K.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »
What I meant was that the images looked so great I would never have thought that they were 1080P CRT images, because they looked better than any image I have ever seen on a projector. Now I know that a CRT can produce images that are still better than 4K.
For me thats true.. But its not something popular to say in public, specially these days as 4K is the thing everybody want, and everybody wants to sell, even that CRT is not produced anymore.

NBPk402

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
For me thats true.. But its not something popular to say in public, specially these days as 4K is the thing everybody want, and everybody wants to sell, even that CRT is not produced anymore.
I understand the journey to nirvana with the CRT is not one for the faint at heart or without a fat wallet, but nevertheless I am in awe the performance that you can still get out of the old CRT. Congratulations on your results!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal