AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Negatron II build thread

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Re: Negatron II build thread
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
Well the buyers of our home just signed so we are def getting this house...we should be moving into our new home in the next couple of weeks. I have a dilema now,  where do I put the screen?

When you look at the pictures the distance from the windows to the loft is 20', the room is 19` wide, and if you go from the windows to the bar it is 30`.

Option 1: I was thinking I could mount a 160" 2.4 electric AT screen from the loft, and put the 3 front speakers behind the screen. If I go that way the kitchen would  be viewable from the living room when the screen was up.

Option 2: Build a support to hang the screen from about 3` from the windows, and put the speakers behind the screen.

Option 3: Hang the screen from the wall across from the screen...downside is it would have to be mounted to the wall and the screen would only go down to 3` from the floor due to the speakers.

Ideas, suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:11:09 PM by ellisr63 »
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

NBPk402

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
I have a solution...the room is 19' wide, and the screen is 15' wide. I will make some sort of rails to put on the side walls, and then connect the screen to it...then I can have the screen come down in front of the speakers. I still have to measure the left side to see how low the screen can come down withthe door on that side, as it might be right where the screen rail would need to be mounted.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSMike

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
I was not quite following the problem, so I am lost with the solution.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

NBPk402

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
The problem was how to mount the screen... I now have a way to mount it... I had forgot how close in size the screen was to the room width. Now I just need to install rails, and make brackets to hold the screen in place, and then motorize it for lifting, and lowering.

NBPk402

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »
Looks like I will have some changes as the wife wants to have mirrors on the wall on the loft for her to practice dancing. This means I will no longer have 10' for the audio rack, but maybe 4' max, and still only a little over 2' high. The speakers will still be next to the windows but the doors will not be used behind the speakers (a plus for me), only the glass door to the left will be used. Room darkening curtains will be used, but not black, and a couple of carpets will be used for the floor too...again not black, but grey or blue with some white stripes (best compromise I could get as we will be getting the, from Costco).

On a 19' wide room, I will have to leave about 3' per side since we will be using the door which opens inward on the left, and we have the fireplace on the right. Not as much as I had wanted. Should I skip The center channel?

The old JBL speakers which are angled at 45 degrees as I recall will be set up as height channels, and as Auro3d channels. How do I calculate the height of them?

Would it be best to run side surrounds or rear surrounds, With the heights above them?

NBPk402

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Does anyone know how I determine the placement and angle of my height speakers... I want to set them up for Auro3d, and was told They could also be used for Atmos.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
Thanks Craig. If I understand this correctly... I need to mount the speakers at a 30 degree angle from the mlp for the 2nd layer heights(which is all I will be doing), and then angle the speakers toward the head of the person in the MLP. My JBLs  are 20 degree...so I will need to get one up, and then figure out what angle to set the speaker at, and modify the mount to get there..

I was hoping to have a 5.1 on the bottom set, and a 5 on the top set, but apparently it is not recommended to have a center on the 2nd row unless you are running 7 on the bottom. I wish I could run 7 on the 2nd and 5 on the bottom, if I cannot run 5 on each layer.

I need to do some calculations... hopefully I can run the heights above the windows otherwise I would need to run them in the corners which would also be out of range (I have not measured just assuming).

I will be doing a 9.1 setup.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:04:27 PM by ellisr63 »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Thanks Craig. If I understand this correctly... I need to mount the speakers at a 30 degree angle from the mlp for the 2nd layer heights(which is all I will be doing), and then angle the speakers toward the head of the person in the MLP. My JBLs  are 20 degree...so I will need to get one up, and then figure out what angle to set the speaker at, and modify the mount to get there..

I was hoping to have a 5.1 on the bottom set, and a 5 on the top set, but apparently it is not recommended to have a center on the 2nd row unless you are running 7 on the bottom. I wish I could run 7 on the 2nd and 5 on the bottom, if I cannot run 5 on each layer.

I need to do some calculations... hopefully I can run the heights above the windows otherwise I would need to run them in the corners which would also be out of range (I have not measured just assuming).

I will be doing a 9.1 setup.

My surround speakers are totally " out of spec " for Auro 3D or Atmos. So, I continue to use DTS:NEO X  !

AVSMike

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
I would set up for Atmos, since that seems to be the system that is making it here in the US. Select the system you want to build in the attached link.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bmoney

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
is there any content for Auro3D?

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
How about this -
https://www.auro-3d.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/Auro-3D-Home-Theater-Setup-Guidelines_lores.pdf
Do you now if there is any free software that I could punch in the dimensions, and angle of the speakers to come up with where I need to install the speakers? I am not good at calculating angles at all.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »
Do you now if there is any free software that I could punch in the dimensions, and angle of the speakers to come up with where I need to install the speakers? I am not good at calculating angles at all.

I don't know of any myself. I use tape measures, laser pointers and my eyeballs for installing speakers  in my theaters.
You room will also partially dictate where speakers are going.

NBPk402

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
I don't know of any myself. I use tape measures, laser pointers and my eyeballs for installing speakers  in my theaters.
You room will also partially dictate where speakers are going.
Thanks, Craig. I guess I will have to try and rig up a protractor, and use my laser pointer, and wing it... I was hoping I could come up with a measurement for the height channels.

NBPk402

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
I rigged up a protractor, laser light, and it looks like my rear surrounds will be right in the corners of the room where the loft meets the living room. The speaker bottoms will be at about the bottom of the loft. The front heights will also be at about the top of the front glass windows.

Now the dilemma... according to the auro3d specs the front speakers should be 30 degrees from center left and right(with the heights above them). If I do that it means the main front channel speakers would have to be in the front corners angled toward the MLP...it also means that the speakers would be halfway outside of the projection screen. I was planning on putting the speakers at the inside outer edge of the screen, and firing through the screen. The 2nd problem is that if the speakers are installed angled it might cause a problem with my screen mounting as we were thinking of running the tracks for the screen raising, and lowering in the corners for stability. We also were planning on the tracks running down the center of our bass traps, plus the speakers being so close to the fireplace messes up the first reflection panels too. What do I do...put the speakers inside of the screen edges, and then put the heights above them (which allows us to have some bass traps in the front, and puts us at about 20 degrees per side angle for the speakers ), or adhere to the specs for Auro3d,  and put them in the corners with the heights in the corners above them?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:21:05 PM by ellisr63 »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal