AVS Discussions
  Go Down

G.I. Samurai arrives on Blu-ray on 5/5/2025

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1579
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
G.I. Samurai arrives on Blu-ray on 5/5/2025
« on: April 07, 2026, 09:08:25 PM »

From the Arrow Video press release:

On May 5, the time traveling Sci-Fi epic G.I. Samurai makes its North American debut on Blu-ray, illustrating what happens when a modern military unit is transported back to Japan’s Sengoku period. The limited edition release includes High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of the Japanese version and the English language version, hours of special features, and newly commissioned extras.

The night feels strange for a Japan Ground Self-Defense Force unit out on maneuvers during a war games exercise. Nearly two dozen troops, along with a tank and a helicopter, wait on a beach for a rendezvous when the dawn sky turns psychedelic. Even their leader Lieutenant Yoshiaki Iba (Sonny Chiba, The Street Fighter), can’t make sense of what’s happening. Arrows suddenly rain down on the soldiers without warning. They have slipped back in time 400 years and find themselves surrounded by a samurai army. Can their modern weapons withstand the ancient attackers?

Special features include the original lossless Japanese mono and 4.0 stereo surround audio, and remixed 5.1 surround audio; optional newly translated English subtitles; two optional viewing modes via seamless branching: the original Japanese version or the uncut English-language version titled Time Slip, with lossless English mono audio; a brand new audio commentary by Samm Deighan and Tom Mes; an introduction by Japanese film specialist Mark Schilling; an appreciation by author Matt Alt; a discussion of the film by authors and film critics Masaaki Nomura and Tatsuya Masuto; archival cast and crew interviews with Sonny Chiba, Isao Natsuyagi, Hiromitsu Suzuki, Kamayatsu Monsieur, Jun Eto, and Isao Kuraishi; original theatrical trailers; an image gallery; and a collectors’ booklet.

Watch the trailer for G.I. Samurai here:



G.I. Samurai is distributed by MVD Entertainment Group.

Interesting looking film with good extras.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: G.I. Samurai arrives on Blu-ray on 5/5/2025
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2026, 09:43:36 PM »
This is one I've never knew about. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: G.I. Samurai arrives on Blu-ray on 5/5/2025
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2026, 06:16:28 AM »
Same
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal