Thanks for posting this interview!
My wife and I had the pleasure of attending his last get together (I'm even in a few of those pictures), and the story of how his theater came together is fascinating. The planning and effort are to be commended, and the size of the projector is amazing. But the true measure of it is the picture, absolutely stunning and flawless. I had always thought the blacks of the JVCs projectors were great, but they can't compare to the Eclipse.
I also want to add that Art and Angela are two of the most down-to-earth people you're ever going to meet. One might assume that with such a grand home and theater that there would be some pretense or snobbery, but there's not even the slightest hint of that. They were so warm and welcoming, that nobody felt out of place. The theater is a culmination of a dream, and he was so happy to share what he's built with other enthusiasts and our appreciation for movies. If they ever change their minds and decide to host another event, I highly recommend attending.
He makes an excellent point about the entry point for a fantastic home theater keeps dropping with each year. While most of us may never have the expendable cash to buy an Eclipse, what you can get with even a modest budget today is a fraction of what a similar setup would have cost a decade or two ago.
I also liked how he emphasized that while he loves the theater itself, it about using it to enjoy the content. That's something that all of us can relate to, no matter how much we've put into our setups. Movies that you once would have had to go to a revival house or film festival to see are available to enjoy when we want in our own homes.
Great interview with a man who's truly passionate about this hobby.