Watched this in the theater a few days ago. Unfortunately due to traffic, I missed the first few minutes and I suspect that might have made a bigger difference here than many movies as there are 3 acts with narrative framing starting each.
Trying not to spoil it, but this movie based on a Stephen King short story that's not a horror tale, but more a slice of life story, might be one that needs expectations set upon viewing. I didn't have that as I went in mostly cold with no idea what to expect beyond a description I'd seen of "life affirming". That's a theme, certainly. As mentioned, it's set up in 3 acts with the first one introducing several characters seemingly caught in a world fraught with accelerating environmental problems. Sounds familiar? Well... there's a little more mystery than that worn trope. Also increasing in the 1st act are images showing a somewhat cryptic message: "Charles Krantz: 39 Great Years! Thanks, Chuck!". This mystery sets up the 2nd and 3rd acts.
I was hoping for something along the lines of American Fiction, which I loved, and found to be an incredibly satisfying mix of ROTFL humor, social commentary and, yes, "slice of life". Life Of Chuck didn't have anywhere near the amount of humor and it's a more gentle and languid paced movie overall. I found it to be one of those movies that wasn't the most enjoyable in the moment - it was too slow and drawn out for me at times - but had a little more impact on me afterwards in thinking about the theme. Tom Hiddleston as Chuck does have one heck of a Fred Astaire scene that's really fun and gets to the core of the theme.
As a primarily character drama I don't think this needs to be seen on the biggest screen, but if this is your kind of movie it's worth a watch when it hits disk / streaming.
Oh, and my goodness Mia Sara is the most beautiful and luminous grandmother you'll ever see. She still lights up the screen and I hope this return for her (looks like an 11 year gap, I suspect for raising family) isn't a one off.