AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Master & Commander coming to 4K

Master & Commander coming to 4K
« on: June 11, 2025, 05:33:10 PM »
FINALLY! Been looking for this for a while. Craig alluded to it in the Lumagen thread but here is Bill Hunt's writeup at The Digital Bits.

Quote
Monday, 02 June 2025 22:27
A Digital Bits Exclusive: Peter Weir’s MASTER AND COMMANDER is coming soon to 4K disc from 20th Century via Sony!
by Bill Hunt


Now here’s a title I’ve known about for a while, and that I’m very excited to finally share with all of you!
Longtime Bits readers will know that this film is another huge favorite of mine. And back in January of last year… not long before we first broke the exclusive news of the new Sony/Disney distribution deal here at The Digital Bits… I was invited by Disney reps to submit a list of films that I thought the studio should consider for release on physical 4K UHD.

I compiled a list of fifty titles, an A-list of twenty-five, and a B-list of twenty-five more.

Kevin Jarre, Kurt Russell, and George P. Cosmatos’ Tombstone (1993) was at the very top of that A-list.

The third film on that A-list was Ridley Scott’s Kingdom of Heaven: Director’s Cut (2005).


Both titles have now obviously been released on physical 4K Ultra HD from Disney/Touchstone and 20th Century Studios via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment—Tombstone on 4/22, and Kingdom of Heaven on 5/27. (Initial supplies of both titles are hard to come by, but I’m told that Sony is working hard to replicate more copies.)

Well… now I can confirm that the second
title on the list I submitted is finally coming to 4K Ultra HD as well, and I couldn’t possibly be more excited. That title is none other than…

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Yes, indeed… director Peter Weir’s magnificent historical drama Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is finally coming to physical 4K Ultra HD later this summer—huzzah!

Based on the acclaimed historical novels by Patrick O’Brian, the film tracks the exploits of Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe), his friend and ship’s surgeon Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany), and the crew of the HMS Surprise as they follow their orders around the globe to pursue and capture or sink the wily French privateer Acheron during the Napoleonic Wars in 1805.

Per the pattern established with those two previous releases, Master and Commander will likely come in 2-disc Steelbook packaging with the film in 4K, as well as a Blu-ray Disc, and a Digital code. I would imagine it’ll probably include Dolby Vision HDR and English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

To be clear, that’s just an educated guess though—I don’t have any other details except that the street date will likely be sometime in August or September.

My knowledge that this title is coming is based on The Bits’ longtime industry sources. And retail sites in Europe have begun to list it as well, so I can indeed confirm that it’s for real.

As soon as I have additional details to share, I’ll be sure to let you all know. Watch for official word from the studio sometime in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, suffice it to say that Surprise is most definitely on our side! Stay tuned...

Barry

  • *****
  • 1147
Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2025, 06:12:59 PM »
Thanks for Postinmg!!!!

I love this movie and it is one of the ones I was hoping for in 4k!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2025, 06:59:46 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000P1K; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2025, 06:47:58 PM »
Agreed Barry - I held off on a potential rewatch recently in hopes of this!

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1585
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2025, 07:58:42 PM »
I wonder if they'll restore the bass that was featured in the DVD release or use the neutered bass that was put on the Blu-ray?
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2025, 08:02:30 PM »
Good question, Scott. I saw the complaints about that. I've only really experienced the Blu-Ray, so fingers crossed. I don't measure up to the bass capacity of people like David but I've got a couple of Hsu VTF-15Hs that can certainly dig below 25 Hz.

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2025, 08:04:40 PM »
I wonder if they'll restore the bass that was featured in the DVD release or use the neutered bass that was put on the Blu-ray?
Let's hope they do! Looking forward to this one in 4K. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1585
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2025, 09:23:17 PM »
There used to be good overlapping graphs on AVS showing the difference between the two discs, but I can't find them; they may have been subject to the Photobucket purge that happened to free accounts years ago.

I did find two independent images and merged them together.  The scale is slightly off, but you can still get the idea.  The one on the left is from the DVD the one on the right is from the BD.  On the BD graph, try not to pay any attention to the solid line, that's the result after BEQ has been applied.  The bass is shown on the two dotted lines.  For both graphs, the green line is peak output at each frequency, while the red line is the average level at each frequency.

https://i.imgur.com/KUD5uYU.png
Master & Commander coming to 4K


Peak output on the DVD is at 30 Hz, while the 30 Hz peak on the Blu-ray has been lowered to be in line with bass output at 38 Hz.  Bass rolls off more rapidly after 30 Hz as well on the Blu-ray with almost nothing below 20 Hz.  That's readily visible on the graphed averages.

Some of the guys there went so far as to pull the DVD soundtrack and mux it with the BD video to try and get the best of both worlds.

Hopefully they'll upgrade the sound to match the 4K visuals on this new release.  Who knows, we may even get an Atmos remix.  This is a movie that could take advantage of the format.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2025, 10:13:18 PM »
There used to be good overlapping graphs on AVS showing the difference between the two discs, but I can't find them; they may have been subject to the Photobucket purge that happened to free accounts years ago.

I did find two independent images and merged them together.  The scale is slightly off, but you can still get the idea.  The one on the left is from the DVD the one on the right is from the BD.  On the BD graph, try not to pay any attention to the solid line, that's the result after BEQ has been applied.  The bass is shown on the two dotted lines.  For both graphs, the green line is peak output at each frequency, while the red line is the average level at each frequency.

https://i.imgur.com/KUD5uYU.png
Master & Commander coming to 4K


Peak output on the DVD is at 30 Hz, while the 30 Hz peak on the Blu-ray has been lowered to be in line with bass output at 38 Hz.  Bass rolls off more rapidly after 30 Hz as well on the Blu-ray with almost nothing below 20 Hz.  That's readily visible on the graphed averages.

Some of the guys there went so far as to pull the DVD soundtrack and mux it with the BD video to try and get the best of both worlds.

Hopefully they'll upgrade the sound to match the 4K visuals on this new release.  Who knows, we may even get an Atmos remix.  This is a movie that could take advantage of the format.
That's a great idea! I should do that with War of the Worlds!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1585
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2025, 10:27:06 PM »
That's a great idea! I should do that with War of the Worlds!
That one's easy.  It's one of the illustrations used on the first post of the BEQ thread on AVS:  Bass EQ for Filtered Movies | AVS Forum

The Blu-ray has strong bass that goes all the way down to 1 Hz. The 4K UHD starts dropping dramatically at around 32 Hz and all but dies at 20 Hz.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

AVSCraig

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2025, 12:35:53 AM »
This upgrade is a no-brainer!

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2025, 06:25:59 AM »
Def no brainer. Can’t wait 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Master & Commander coming to 4K
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2025, 07:50:25 PM »
That one's easy.  It's one of the illustrations used on the first post of the BEQ thread on AVS:  Bass EQ for Filtered Movies | AVS Forum

The Blu-ray has strong bass that goes all the way down to 1 Hz. The 4K UHD starts dropping dramatically at around 32 Hz and all but dies at 20 Hz.
I need to take the time to do it. In fact, when I was ripping my collection, I ripped the Blu-ray and didn't even bother with the 4K because the audio sucked so bad. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal