Thanks for the review. I haven't had a desire to watch this one and may not ever. I've never been a fan of Dylan's music.
I'm surprised at your review considering the RT scores ( A Complete Unknown | Rotten Tomatoes ) and the rave reviews a friend of ours gave it. I have not had a chance to watch it yet, so I'll chime in after I do. Note I have never been a fan of Dylan's music but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the film - if I don't start thinking about the Dylan satire scenes in " Walk Hard - The Dewey Cox Story ".
Not a Dylan fan at all. But live biopics. This just was boring with zero direction. Not a good movie at all.
I was surprised as well and fully expected to like it going into it. In fairness, I did give it a C, which is a passing grade, so it wasn't bad, just not as good as it should have been.I did read some of the Rotton Tomatoes reviews from the top critics, and while they were overwhelmingly positive, they weren't all filled with fawning adulation. I'd say a 3/5 or 3.5/5 roughly translates to the grade I gave it, and there are quite a few of those.Speaking of Dewy Cox, this is what the critic for The Irish Times wrote: "If you can endure Elle Fanning as Sylvie Russo (a version of the late Suze Rotolo) watching Dylan sing It Ain’t Me Babe with Baez and weepily realise that, yes, it ain’t Sylvie, babe, then you can also endure the rest of the Walk Hard clunkiness." And that was from a Fresh review. (I lumped her performance in the "abundance of other actors" part of my review, never given a chance to develop into anything substantial.) There are caveats in many of those reviews, so they were less bothered with the flaws than I was. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it. It's likely that if Chalamet's performance works for you, you'll come away with a much higher rating.