AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Plane (4K UHD SteelBook) review

Plane (4K UHD SteelBook) review
« on: April 27, 2025, 12:47:24 PM »


Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: April 209, 2025
 Rating: R
 Film:  4/5
 
 Plot
 Pilot Brodie Torrance (Gerard Butler) saves his passengers from a lightning strike by making a risky landing on a war-torn island – only to find that surviving the landing was just the beginning. When most of the passengers are taken hostage by dangerous rebels, the only person Torrance can count on for help is Louis Gaspare (Mike Colter), an accused murderer who was being transported by the FBI. In order to rescue the passengers, Torrance will need Gaspare’s help, and will learn there’s more to Gaspare than meets the eye.
 
My Thoughts
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this, but my Mom saw it in the theaters and said it was actually pretty good. Regardless, I took Mom’s advice and gave it a go and I’m glad I did. While it’s certainly a check your brain at the door type of film, it’s intense as hell from the outset and my wife and I were on the edge of our seats the entire time. Maybe we were in the right mood for the movie or were just looking to have a mindless night of entertainment, but for whatever reason we had a blast and vowed to keep it in the collection to watch again in the future.
 
The presentation is solid on the video side, but far from perfect. The image was a bit dark at times, which looks to be intentional to show how dark a powerless plane can be, but it wasn’t fun to watch. Exterior scenes are where things look excellent with plenty of punch, exquisite detail in facial pores and clothing, and plenty of depth. The Dolby Atmos soundtrack does a great job of immersing you in the action, but I felt that the LFE cold have had a bit more punch and it would have raised the grade at least a half of point.
 
Video 8/10 (AVC)
 Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)
 
 Special Features:
·      Amazon Exclusive SteelBook Packaging
·      This is Your Captain
·      Plane Clothes
·      Brace for Turbulence
·      4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

 
 

 Conclusion
 Gerard Butler has made quite a career for himself with these types of films and he does know how to make them fun to watch. While the story is very far-fetched, my wife and I both enjoyed it for what it was meant to be, and the presentation rarely disappoints. While the new packaging doesn’t change any aspect of the story, I have to admit that it does looks damn cool. Regardless, I still recommend the film for action/thriller fans and if you’re a collector, you get the added bonus of the SteelBook packaging.
 

 Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Zidoo UHD8000 Media Player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers

Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

Re: Plane (4K UHD SteelBook) review
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2025, 04:16:47 PM »
I like this film - just a fun action movie. I have the non steel book release. 

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Plane (4K UHD SteelBook) review
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2025, 06:31:29 AM »
I shockingly liked this one. Wasn’t expecting much. Was surprised 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal