AVS Discussions
  Go Down

A no spoiler review of Blue Beetle.

Barry

A no spoiler review of Blue Beetle.
« on: August 18, 2023, 07:26:17 PM »
It's hard to give a non spoiler review to a movie with such little plot!

My friends and I set out to see “Oppenheimer” today, but it was NO LONGER  playing in the Imax or Dolby Digital theatre.  So we saw “Blue Beetle” in the Dolby theatre.

I don’t have enough space to give the introduction to Blue Beetle because he has been a character owned by many different companies and has many different versions.  But the storyline combined it with another creation by Jack Kirby, co-creator of Captain America, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Thor and so on.  It is his feature of OMAC, short for One Man Army Corp, which had nothing to do with Blue Beetle.

The story revolves around an Hispanic youth going home to his family, grandma, uncle, sister and parents and accidently getting the power of OMAC through the mysterious  Blue Beetle.

He is captured by Susan Sarandon, in her most forgettable role, and his ordinary family comes to rescue him.  In the end, as in so many of these movies, he fights a version of himself. (Superman fought Zod, twice, The new Iron Man fought the Old Iron Man, Captain America fought the Winter Soldier, the Hulk fought the Abomination and so forth).

The movie made no logic sense to me at all. Where did they get their weapons and powers? Where do the devices come from? And so on. There was some humor. The movie is “sit- throughable” almost  bad, and, for me, a bit of waste of time.

The Dolby sound was very good and the special effects were mostly up to speed but nothing special.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:38:59 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: A no spoiler review of Blue Beetle.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 09:08:49 PM »
Never heard of this character before I saw the movie poster and I'll probably skip this one all together. Thanks for taking one for the team Barry. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 02:09:22 AM »
Enjoyed the trailer and have plans to see it next weekend with a friend. 

Thanks for setting the expectation bar appropriately low, Barry. This seems like a B movie superhero.

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 07:33:08 AM »
Hmmm never heard of This. Sounds like a. Skip 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »
Enjoyed the trailer and have plans to see it next weekend with a friend.

Thanks for setting the expectation bar appropriately low, Barry. This seems like a B movie superhero.
Paul, you have seen this plot before. Superhero gets powers, bad guys want those powers! Many people like the idea that it is a Hispanic superhero. And I forgot to mention to stay till after the credits because there is a scene.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 11:49:02 AM »
Sounds as generic as generic can be.

Why waste an opportunity to focus on a Hispanic superhero by tacking on a routine script?
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 03:21:27 PM »
Sounds as generic as generic can be.

Why waste an opportunity to focus on a Hispanic superhero by tacking on a routine script?
Animated movies like The Book of Life, Coco and Encanto have woven Latin folklore into their stories. I haven't seen it yet to say that this doesn't include that (and not reading any major reviews until afterward), so if it doesn't, it's not even up to par with the current "template".

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 12:18:49 AM »
Saw the trailer for this waiting for Barbie to start. I wasn't too impressed. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 01:03:58 AM »
Saw the trailer for this waiting for Barbie to start. I wasn't too impressed.
i LOL'd when I read your comment. It's just not the type of statement one would usually get from a guy who likes to shoot guns like you do :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
i LOL'd when I read your comment. It's just not the type of statement one would usually get from a guy who likes to shoot guns like you do :D
Barbie was a fun movie. On the whole "Feminization of the Marvel Universe" thing, I totally enjoyed " Captain Marvel " and have watched it several times. Some funny lines in there. Before you take away my " Man Card ", I'll leave you with these photos of me ( or taken by me ) - 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 12:48:03 PM »
Barbie was a fun movie. On the whole "Feminization of the Marvel Universe" thing, I totally enjoyed " Captain Marvel " and have watched it several times. Some funny lines in there. Before you take away my " Man Card ", I'll leave you with these photos of me ( or taken by me ) -
I'd never take away your man card...I just thought the statement was funny :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 02:26:36 PM »
Saw it Saturday.

First, a caveat: I saw it at a new-ish theater that I hadn't been to before, mainly due to show time on a fairly busy day. It's one of those targeting a more upscale experience with recliner/lounge seating, food service etc. I did NOT like the experience. Too much distraction between servers constantly going back & forth with food, and too much light. I was seated on the aisle and there were fairly bright raceway lights that were shining in my face, enough that I had to hold my arm up especially in dark scenes. I nearly walked out, and will definitely not be back. That probably impacts my judgement of the movie some.

The movie was as "meh" as Barry suggested. Some enjoyable parts I guess, and the Mexican family aspect had its moments. There was plenty of over the top melodramatic type stuff. On the other hand, it's a simpler story overall than some of the overloaded story lines featured in some superhero movies. C- superhero flick, at best.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 07:05:04 PM »
It's one of those targeting a more upscale experience with recliner/lounge seating, food service etc. I did NOT like the experience. Too much distraction between servers constantly going back & forth with food, and too much light. I was seated on the aisle and there were fairly bright raceway lights that were shining in my face, enough that I had to hold my arm up especially in dark scenes. I nearly walked out, and will definitely not be back.
I'm not a fan of theaters that serve actual food.  Popcorn and candy are fine, but at one of the last movies we went to, somebody ordered a pepperoni pizza, and the stench filled the theater to the point of turning our stomach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with pepperoni pizza, but the odor in that kind of atmosphere is just not good.  

I can see how your experience was affected by the distractions.  Another win for those of us that have home theaters!
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 08:57:46 PM »
Good to know. Lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 06:56:25 AM »
Started the first half of this last night. Visuals and sound are incredible. But the story and the acting is awful 

The main girl is eye candy tho 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player