National Lampoon's Vacation (UHD Blu-ray) review

National Lampoon's Vacation (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 23, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: June 27, 2023
 Rating: R
 Film:  4/5

Plot
 Everything is planned, packed – and about to go hilariously wrong. The Griswolds are going on vacation. In the driver’s seat is Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), an Everyman eager to share the open road and the wonders of family togetherness. Myriad mishaps, crude kin (Randy Quaid), encounters with a temptress (Christie Brinkley), financial woes, Aunt Edna (Imogene Coca) on the roof, one security guard (John Candy) and 2,460 miles later, it’s a wonder the Griswolds are together. There’s never been a family vacation like it. Except maybe yours.

My Thoughts
I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve seen this film over the past 40 years and it’s still as funny today as it was back in 1983. My Mom loved this movie back then and bought it on Betamax for a crazy amount of money and whenever family or friends would be at our house for a visit, she’d ask them if they’d seen the movie. If the answer was “no,” we all knew what the entertainment for the night would be.

I was 14 when the film came out and leading a somewhat sheltered life, some of the jokes went over my head. As someone who has raised two kids I need to question my Mom’s judgement on letting us watch this film so many times because some of the jokes are a bit crude for a young teenager to watch, but I guess she wasn’t all wrong because both my sister and I turned out to be “normal,” whatever that means.

Warner has done a fabulous job on the video transfer and this film has never looked better and blows away my old DVD copy. For some reason, I never reviewed this on Blu-ray or HD DVD. Regardless, it looks great in 4K with plenty of detail, a relatively clean print (with some sparingly used DNR), and a bold color palette.  The DTS-MA 2.0 track sounds pretty good considering the film was originally a mono track and Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” has plenty of heft considering the soundtrack’s age.

Video 9/10
 Audio 8.5/10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Special Features: 

• Audio Commentary
  • Digital Code

Conclusion
 There are so many segments of this film that are inappropriate for all audiences, but even after 40 years it makes me laugh-out-loud. It’s arguably one of Chase’s most iconic roles and it was popular enough to spawn a couple of sequels and an unnecessary remake in 2015 which didn’t come close to living up to the original. If you’re a fan of the film then this is a must-buy.       

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: National Lampoon's Vacation (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 11:46:42 PM »
Nice review and has me hankering to give it a watch.  I just checked our movie list, and we never even bought the Blu-ray, so this title will definitely be making its way into our library.

Glad to hear it brought back some fond memories for you.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

Re: National Lampoon's Vacation (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 07:34:12 AM »
One of my all time favs 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD