Rocky 1-IV Film Collection (4k UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: March 06, 2023, 08:52:18 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: February 28, 2023
Rating: PG
Film: See Below

Plot
Rocky (5/5)
An unknown boxer (Sylvester Stallone) scores a once-in-a-lifetime chance to fight the heavyweight champion of the world (Carl Weathers) when the champ comes to Philadelphia and gives the chump an opportunity to be the champ. 

The film is directed by John G. Avilsden from a screenplay and story by Sylvester Stallone. The film is produced by Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff and stars Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Tony Burton, and Burgess Meredith.

ROCKY received ten Academy Award nominations and won three, including Best Picture. Best Director and Best Film Editing.  In 2006, the Library of Congress selected ROCKY for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Rocky II (4.5/5)
After club fighter Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) goes the distance with the world heavyweight champion, boxing fans clamor for a rematch. But Rocky, having sustained massive injuries, announces his retirement. Though he tries to make a new life for himself, Rocky realizes that he can’t escape his true calling. The ring beckons once more, and the “Italian Stallion” must prepare for the fight of his life.

The film is directed by Sylvester Stallone from a screenplay and story by Stallone. The film is produced by Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff and stars Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Tony Burton, and Burgess Meredith.

Rocky III (4/5)
As Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) fights his way into the hearts of millions, life couldn’t be better. But when Clubber Lang (Mr. T) KOs Rocky in a humiliating defeat, it becomes apparent that the “Italian Stallion” has lost his edge. Considering hanging up his gloves, Rocky receives encouragement from an unlikely ally: his old nemesis, Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). With Creed’s help, Rocky strives to regain the “eye of the tiger” before confronting Lang in a grueling rematch!

The film is directed by Sylvester Stallone from a screenplay and story by Stallone. The film is produced by Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff and stars Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Tony Burton, Burgess Meredith, and Mr. T.

Rocky IV (4/5)
Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) holds the world heavyweight boxing championship but faces a new challenger: Drago (Dolph Lundgren), a 6'4", 261-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union. Rocky prepares for a powerfully charged fight, in which he must defend not only himself but the honor of his country!

Also included is Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago. Stallone masterfully reshapes Rocky IV in the ultimate director’s cut!

The film is directed by Sylvester Stallone from a screenplay and story by Stallone. The film is produced by Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff and stars Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Tony Burton, Brigitte Nielsen, and Dolph Lundgren.

My Thoughts
Just like the underdog story goes in Rocky, the 1976 Oscar winner for Best Picture launched the career of Sylvester Stallone into the stratosphere. Not only was he the star, but he also wrote the fan favorite that spawned a total of five sequels over the next 30 years (well, eight if you count the Creed movies too). I enjoy all four of these films, but I’m surprised that it doesn’t include number 5—even though it sucks—and Stallone’s climatic fil, Rocky Balboa, which is actually a great film in its own right.

I was jazzed when I heard that the first four films were going to be released on UHD by Warner Brothers even though they were originally released by MGM. They arrived earlier today via FedEx and since I was on vacation today, it was time for a Rocky marathon. While I didn’t watch each film from beginning to end, I did go through each of them and go through various scenes and of course, every fight sequence.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the way they look. In fact, this is the best the first film has ever looked. While the 2014 remastered Blu-ray looked great, it’s taken to another level here. I really liked how the primary colors popped off the screen. The other films all look great as well and this is the first time I’ve seen of Rocky IV: The Ultimate Director’s Cut. Off the bat I noticed the color timing is a bit cooler than the theatrical version and in-lieu of a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, it’s now 2.35:1.

There have been complaints on Twitter that the “original” mono mix on Rocky isn’t genuine, but in all honesty, I don’t care. I listened to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track and found it to be quite engaging. Also, Rocky II’s pitch is different than the previously released Blu-rays and unless I was specifically doing a comparison, I wouldn’t have noticed. The last two films don’t have any complaints and sound just fine, but film purists are in an uproar asking for a recall. Frankly, I think it’s much ado about nothing.

Video 8/10

Audio 7/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Three Audio Commentaries on Rocky
  • 8MM Home Movies of “Rocky”
  • 3 Rounds with Lou Duva
  • Stedicam: Then and Now with Garrett Brown
  • Make-Up! The Art and From with Michael Westmore
  • Staccato: A Composer’s Notebook with Bill Conti
  • The Ring of Truth
  • A Tribute to Burgess Meredith
  • Stallone Meets Rocky
  • The Making of “Rocky vs. Drago”: Keep Punching
  • Trailers
  • Digital Copies of each film.

Conclusion
I grew up watching the Rocky films and they hold a special place in my heart. In fact, the movies have been known to bring a tear to my eyes in certain scenes such as when Rocky meets with Adrian in the ring at the end of the first film, when she tells him to “win” in the second, when Mickey has a heart attack, just to name a few. While some find the fourth film to be a bit corny with its Cold War vibes, I absolutely love it and the soundtrack for that film rivals the first. Overall, I’m stoked to have the first four films on UHD and I look forward to watching the Director’s Cut of the fourth film in its entirety. 

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Rocky 1-IV Film Collection (4k UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 10:24:18 PM »
I loved Burgess M. In these pictures. I am glad he had time enough, at last, to do them. Then, I really was surprised and enjoyed when Rocky took over  that role in the first two Creed films. Sadly he will not be in the third one.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 06:46:23 AM »
Just started watching this set. Love these films. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »
"bring a tear to my eyes in certain scenes such as when Rocky meets with Adrian in the ring at the end of the first film,"

happened to me last night!  "i love you" I love youuuuu" tear...
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up