The Fabelmans (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Fabelmans (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 10, 2023, 06:19:11 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: February 14, 2023
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Inspired by Steven Spielberg’s own childhood, rediscover the magic of movies in THE FABELMANS, a coming-of-age story about a young man uncovering a shattering family secret and the power of film and imagination to help us see the truth about ourselves and each other. With a star-studded cast featuring Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea, My Week with Marilyn), Paul Dano (The Batman, There Will Be Blood), Seth Rogen (Steve Jobs, An American Pickle), Gabriel LaBelle (The Predator, “American Gigolo”) and Academy Award® nominee Judd Hirsch (Uncut Gems, Ordinary People), THE FABELMANS tells a timeless tale of heartbreak, healing, and hope for the dreamer inside all of us.

My Thoughts
Personal pet projects are tough to pull off for even the best of writers/directors given their closeness to the source material. In this case, it’s about as close as you can get since the movie is based on Spielberg’s own life. I reviewed the title via Kaleidescape over at Sound and Vision which you can read here.

Essentially, the presentation is exactly the same, so reading my comments on that review will give you a gist of how the film looks on UHD. One bonus to the disc at this point is the supplements (listed below), which weren’t immediately available via Kaleidescape.

Video 9/10 (AVC)

Audio 8/10 (Dolby TrueHD 7.1)

Special Features:

• The Fabelmans: A Personal Journey
  • Family Dynamics
  • Crafting the World of The Fabelmans
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G2iLSzOe8

Conclusion
I’m a huge fan of Spielberg and found the historical aspect of his personal story quite interesting. While I don’t think it’s his finest work, he does a good job of conveying the circumstances and avoids it being a narcissistic look at his upbringing. I’m curious to see how many Oscars the film wins with its seven nominations, including Best Picture and Director.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” Scope Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: The Fabelmans (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 11:40:47 AM »
I saw the Fabelmans on a 4K disc. It is the adapted bio of director Steven Spielberg and a movie I look forward to seeing.  My brother and I had something in common with him.  At about the same time, my father had an 8mm Bell and Howell camera and my brother and I made five minute silent movies, with our own 8mm editor.  We played music too when we projected them.

I mention this because I think I caught something that others didn’t.  The movie opens using the color palette of those 8mm Kodak films. The palette grows, but I recognized it.  The movie it also NOT in Atmos and begins with a “flatter” sound.

I enjoyed the movie, a give it a “good” rating, but I wished it was better. The pacing was off and the movie was too long.  It was often repetitive and a bit  self-indulgent.  That is, Spielberg liked and wanted a scene to say something, but he often stayed too long on it…and often repeated it. At 2 ½ hours it is a bit too long.

Gabriel LaBelle plays the young Spielberg, but the highlight and perhaps center of the movie is Spielberg’s mother played by Michelle Williams, who gives another incredible performance and, perhaps, becomes the center of the movie. I am used to seeing her in  “small” movies, that is, movies without dinosaurs, sharks or space ships, and in movies about people. (I know she was in Venom.) She always becomes the character she is portraying.  She does a great job here and is the biggest reason to watch this movie.

Amplifier (center)        McIntosh MC-611
Amplifier (lt/rt)            McIntosh MC1.25KW
Amplifier (5 channel)   Krell S-1500
4K Disc Player             Panasonic UB9000
CD/SACD Player          Esoteric K-01XD
Controller                   McIntosh MX170
FM Tuner                    Day Sequerra Reference
HDTV Receiver            Verizon
TV Tuner                    Mediasonic HW-150PVR
SIRIUSXM/Pandora     Sonos
Streaming Audio          Aurender N100H
Speakers                     Revel Ultima Salon 2
      Center Channel     Revel Ultima Voice 2
      Rear & Back          Revel W 990
      Atmos Ceiling (2)   Revel C763L
Sub-Woofer:                 SVS SB-13 Ultras/4000 amp
Streaming TV               Apple TV
Turntable                    VPI 19 Mark 4
         Tonearm             SME 309
         Turntable Stylus Ortofon 2M Black
         VPI Synchronous Drive System
         Record Cleaner   VPI 17
Video Projector            JVC DLA-RS4100
Video Screen               Stuart StudioTek130
Wall Treatments          ASC Sound Planks
Wiring:                       Shunyata

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

Re: The Fabelmans (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 01:39:43 PM »
Very forgettable for me 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600