AVS Discussions
  Go Down

SVS SB-13 Ultra Upgrade

Barry

SVS SB-13 Ultra Upgrade
« on: February 04, 2023, 02:46:20 PM »
 A funny thing happened on the way to watching my brand new JVC 4100 projector.  I turned on my system and my pair of SVS SB-13 Ultra failed to start. That they both failed at the same time is unusual. Could one have failed earlier and we not noticed it? I doubt that because a red light went on when they were activated and I always looked for that.

A call to the SVS people was answered within a minute. They had us test the amps to make sure that the fuse and then actual woofer was OK (using a battery) but the amps were shot. So I bought a pair of the Upgrade amps, which took only a couple of days for me to get. It is the same amp they use on their 4,000 series.

The new amps are far more powerful than the old ones and are very much computerized.  The manual and LED controls of the original are gone, you use the SVS app on you IPad or phone. It does sound a bit stronger and deeper with increased vibrations.  So far. This made it easy on me. That is, I had my room equalized with my McIntosh and instead of getting up to adjust the new subs correctly, I just had to sit in my chair an remotely use the app. It took about 15 minutes to replace the amps in each sub. Very easy. They even give you a video.

The SVS staff could not be easier to work with or kinder. They were very helpful.  So now I got a complete Home theatre system that sounds great and looks great too.  MY brother has their Pinnacle system and really enjoys it.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

Re: SVS SB-13 Ultra Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 05:13:42 PM »
Wow svs has come a long way since them using passive woofers with Samson amps hahha
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 12:27:12 AM »
A funny thing happened on the way to watching my brand new JVC 4100 projector.  I turned on my system and my pair of SVS SB-13 Ultra failed to start. That they both failed at the same time is unusual. Could one have failed earlier and we not noticed it? I doubt that because a red light went on when they were activated and I always looked for that.

A call to the SVS people was answered within a minute. They had us test the amps to make sure that the fuse and then actual woofer was OK (using a battery) but the amps were shot. So I bought a pair of the Upgrade amps, which took only a couple of days for me to get. It is the same amp they use on their 4,000 series.

The new amps are far more powerful than the old ones and are very much computerized.  The manual and LED controls of the original are gone, you use the SVS app on you IPad or phone. It does sound a bit stronger and deeper with increased vibrations.  So far. This made it easy on me. That is, I had my room equalized with my McIntosh and instead of getting up to adjust the new subs correctly, I just had to sit in my chair an remotely use the app. It took about 15 minutes to replace the amps in each sub. Very easy. They even give you a video.

The SVS staff could not be easier to work with or kinder. They were very helpful.  So now I got a complete Home theatre system that sounds great and looks great too.  MY brother has their Pinnacle system and really enjoys it.
I blew up an amp in an SVS cylinder sub and they got me a replacement fast. Now I have SB4000's and the amps / subs put out a lot of bass!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 07:55:23 AM »
Sorry that your amps went out but happy to hear that you have new, better amps in there. I've always heard that SVS had great customer service. It's great to hear that they still do.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal