AVS Discussions
  Go Down

MK Ultra (2022, Amazon Prime)

MK Ultra (2022, Amazon Prime)
« on: January 24, 2023, 10:50:01 PM »

It’s the 1960s, and the CIA is secretly experimenting with mind control through the use of various chemicals and hallucinogens.  To that end, they recruit a psychiatrist who’s being blocked by the medical establishment from following his own research in helping patients with these newly discovered chemical cocktails.  Inspired by real activities of our government, the movie attempts to build a taut thriller around the balance between research and victimization.

For background, each week I prepare a preview for my wife and I (and occasional guests) of three movie trailers that center around the theme of that night’s film.  This is one from a few weeks ago, and it looked really interesting.  Who isn’t intrigued by the blend of an actual nefarious covert program with a thriller?

Well, all the best parts were in the trailer, and the movie itself was a huge disappointment.  The plot is both straightforward and paper-thin.  While there are some name actors in the cast (Anson Mount, Jason Patric), their efforts are wasted on unsympathetic characters, non-sensical actions, and unsurprising fates.

There was so much potential for this movie.  Even with a low budget, there were all kinds of areas to explore, from the goals of the operation, underlying themes of paranoia and conspiracy, and some timely references to links between government funding for medical science and today’s rediscovery of micro-dosing LSD and other psychedelics as therapy, spirituality, and even questionable recreation.  Trippy visuals could have been used to play with elements befitting those later themes. 

But there’s really very little of any of that here.  The majority of sets are grimy, drab, and ugly.  The program’s goals are never really established beyond the most basic and simplistic terms.  None of the characters are likeable, relatable, or drawn with any kind of finesse.  It would have been far more interesting to turn this story into an out-there, full-tilt, wild conspiracy-theory-filled fever dream of a movie than what we actually got.

I can’t recommend this film on any level.  The picture is mostly drab.  Sound design was lackluster.  The story shows little imagination or tension.  There are interesting historical clips inserted throughout, and while they add a bit of historical perspective, they just leave one feeling like their interests would be better served by watching an actual documentary. 

This is a slow burn that just extinguishes itself with about 20 minutes left to go.

Still, the trailer was interesting, and that’s about the best thing I can say about it.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: MK Ultra (2022, Amazon Prime)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 10:35:45 AM »
Thanks for taking one for the team. The concept would have reeled me in as well, but this will be a hard pass!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 11:03:04 AM »
Agreed, that's one which would really pique my interest. Guess I'll go ahead and just spend the 2 minutes on the trailer, lol.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 08:08:41 PM »
Agreed, that's one which would really pique my interest. Guess I'll go ahead and just spend the 2 minutes on the trailer, lol.
Watch the trailer and spend five minutes using your imagination to fill in any gaps. 

I guarantee that you'll get more out of that exorcise than you would by watching the full movie.  It's too bad because there really is a good concept to explore in there.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal