AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Where to get guidance for soundproofing a basement

Where to get guidance for soundproofing a basement
« on: December 16, 2022, 06:20:13 PM »
I’m aiming to soundproof the ceiling of my 1300 sq ft open floor plan basement without covering up the ceiling joists, as adding drywall in the standard way reduces the ceiling height too much and makes the space feel super claustrophobic.

My understanding from one soundproofing contractor is that if I cut two sheets of 5/8 drywall to fit between the joists and do a green glue sandwich, I should be able to get a good reduction in noise transfer.

What I’m a lot less clear on are all the edge cases: what are my options when there’s HVAC stuff in the between-joist spaces? What are my options for the area around the one room that DOES have a drywall ceiling, the bathroom? Also, is all of this better or worse in terms of work/STC/etc than ripping up the floor above the basement and soundproofing THAT?

Are there soundproofing professionals (or experienced DIYers) I could hire just to help give me detailed guidance on all those edge cases? I’m thinking of spending the next month or two doing this project mostly full time and I don’t want to make huge mistakes via ignorance. 
Thoughts on how to get the right information/guidance? 

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Where to get guidance for soundproofing a basement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 06:27:38 PM »
I have been thinking about researching the very same thing. I'm a bit in the dark so I will be looking for any updates you make.

Thanks for bringing up the subject.

bmoney

Re: Where to get guidance for soundproofing a basement
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 06:31:58 PM »
I planned on it both times. But the cost is high. And if there is one small breach in the room within a room the soundproof fails. You need clips and hat channels. Double layers of 5/8 drywall. A ton of green glue. Putty for outlet boxes. Backer boxes for any in wall speakers. Etc. 

Good luck
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player