The Woman King (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Woman King (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »

Studio: Sony Pictures
Release Date: December 13, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 4/5

Plot
Inspired by true events, this is the remarkable, action-packed story about the all-female unit of warriors who protected the African Kingdom of Dahomey with skills and a fierceness, unlike anything the world has ever seen. Follow the epic and intense journey of General Nanisca (Oscar® winner VIOLA DAVIS; 2016, Best Supporting Actress, Fences) as she trains the next generation of recruits and readies them for battle against an enemy determined to destroy their way of life.

My Thoughts
While the tagline for the film states that it’s “Based on True Events,” they should have added the words “Very Loosely” to the phrase. While there was a Kingdom of Dahomey, a King Ghezo (portrayed by John Boyega), and an all-female military regiment called the Agojie, none of the characters in the film are based on real people outside of the aforementioned King who turns out to be the thoughtful man portrayed in the movie.

The true aspect of the film is that African Kings/Warlords did capture and sell rival warriors and citizens to the slave traders for weapons, food, or other items and this practice has never really stopped to this day (although it’s nowhere near as prevalent as it was during the 1800s). What put a damper on this trading was the British abolishing slavery and using their vast navy to police the shipping lanes out of Africa.

So, leaving the facts behind for a minute, this is a very enjoyable movie that has a compelling story, great characters, and plenty of action. It was nice to see a lot of strong women on screen at the same time and showcasing their abilities to kick some ass. I would categorize the film as historical fiction taking real life countries and historical figures and putting fictional characters into the historical timeline but know going in that none of this happened in real life.

I can say that the presentation is fantastic. The video is to die-for and looks absolutely stunning. Detail in clothing and facial pores are extremely sharp and revealing. Furthermore, there’s plenty of depth in the image and it features a bold and colorful palette. The Dolby Atmos track is nearly the video’s equal, but the LFE could have had a bit more punch, but I did enjoy a lot of the audio cues that were placed around the room.

Video 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• A Caterpillar’s Destruction: Viola Davis On Set
  • Representation Matters
  • Woman/Warrior
  • Storytellers
  • Thuso Mbedu Auditions
  • Filmmakers Commentary
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
After seeing the movie, I did some research at https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/woman-king/ and felt like I was a tad manipulated by the screenplay. I know that Hollywood likes to play fast and loose with facts, but they took things a bit too far here. Making the King a sympathetic character versus his real-life brutality was a creative choice that didn’t need to be made. I also find it interesting that there was a lot of blowback on the film for pointing out the fact that African’s were very much a part of and profited off of the slave trade to the New World as well as to Western Europe. Sadly, slavery is alive and well today throughout parts of Africa as well as in China, but that’s not something that’s heavily advertised throughout western media. Regardless, if you go into this film wanting to be entertained, it does that in spades. Just keep one thing in mind—it isn’t an accurate portrayal of history.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: The Woman King (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 07:36:56 PM »
I have this coming. Hollywood does play a bit fast and loose with the " based on a true story " tag line. Look at " American Made " - fun movie, not a lick of truth in it, but good entertainment. 

I'm looking forward to this.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 07:40:58 PM »
Awesome. Putting this in the queue stat. Thanks!!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:10:22 PM »
I have this coming. Hollywood does play a bit fast and loose with the " based on a true story " tag line. Look at " American Made " - fun movie, not a lick of truth in it, but good entertainment.

I'm looking forward to this.
I grew up in Baton Rouge (1964-95) and remember Barry Seal in the headlines for a while. I never knew much of the actual story until later, then re-acquainted myself with it after watching the very entertaining movie. Nobody really gives a shit about exactly how Seal got where he did, though, so the impact is pretty small. And given that Seal himself was kind of a hustler who wasn't beholden to the truth very much, it kind of fits that the movie based on him is a tall tale.

I looked up some of the history about Dahomey etc when TWK came out. IMO it's a bit different to substantially alter some of the historical bits when it feeds into a current culturally relevant story, but it looks like a really well done and entertaining movie so I'll watch at some point.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 08:12:30 PM »
I grew up in Baton Rouge (1964-95) and remember Barry Seal in the headlines for a while. I never knew much of the actual story until later, then re-acquainted myself with it after watching the very entertaining movie. Nobody really gives a shit about exactly how Seal got where he did, though, so the impact is pretty small. And given that Seal himself was kind of a hustler who wasn't beholden to the truth very much, it kind of fits that the movie based on him is a tall tale.

I looked up some of the history about Dahomey etc when TWK came out. IMO it's a bit different to substantially alter some of the historical bits when it feeds into a current culturally relevant story, but it looks like a really well done and entertaining movie so I'll watch at some point.
It's actually a pretty good movie, just not historically accurate. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 12:34:36 AM »
It's actually a pretty good movie, just not historically accurate.
Like U-571. The list of " based loosely on " movies that are fun to watch yet mostly fictional is endless. 

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 06:43:36 AM »
Like U-571. The list of " based loosely on " movies that are fun to watch yet mostly fictional is endless.
Great comparison. LOVE U-571

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »
Great comparison. LOVE U-571
I need to rewatch this soon!

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 06:18:08 PM »
I need to rewatch this soon!
Agreed. Been way too many years. This needs a 4K re release 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 09:33:30 PM »
Absolutely outstanding movie. 

You weren’t kidding with a 10/10 rating on picture quality. WOW absolutely reference

Thanks so much. Another one I would have never seen without your review!! Kudos 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
Also there is a mid credit scene I just found while tying this lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 12:07:59 PM »
Also there is a mid credit scene I just found while tying this lol
i didn't catch the mid-credit scene. What did it have in it?

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much and ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. A tad long and slow in parts, but still a solid film. Only big flaw was the lack of some LFE :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 06:00:10 PM »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much and ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. A tad long and slow in parts, but still a solid film. Only big flaw was the lack of some LFE :)
the BEQ should fix that although i didnt notice it too lacking.

not much in the credit scene, just more honoring the fallen

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 12:49:59 PM »

Finally watched this last night with some friends. Good film. Also, certainly wasn't lacking in bass in my theater. 

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 01:50:13 PM »
Finally watched this last night with some friends. Good film. Also, certainly wasn't lacking in bass in my theater.
LFE wasn't bad...just could have been better. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal