AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Barry

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
« on: December 10, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio began this week on Netflix. First, I have two thoughts I’d like to share.  I fear that we will lose movie theatres and then movies because movies like this belong in a theatre this time of year.  Moderate priced movies will be streamed and older viewers especially will wait for it to come to their TVs and not go to the movies. This may also mean that we will lose “mid-priced” movies too as the streamers now look to save money.

Second, Pinocchio, inspired by the novel, connects to me another movie that I never connected it to before: Frankenstein. Both have creators looking to create life in their own image and control it.

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio is a remarkable and beautiful feat of stop motion animation.  The movie is worth seeing just for that. The details of almost every scene impressed me.

This is NOT Disney’s Pinocchio. I am not saying that is better than the original, but it is very different. It has some familiar but very different characters . Thee movie presents some of the same values as the Disney one. It is, however, far superior to the live action Pinocchio released earlier this year.

This movie takes place during the 1930s  This movie, however, is not for the youngest of children.  For example, instead of visiting Pleasure Island, Pinocchio, disobeying his father’s instructions, winds up in Mussolini’s Fascist Italy just prior to WW2. This would have to be explained to a young child and makes the movie more appropriate for older kids.

A couple of things slow down the movie. They introduce a few non-memorable songs that would have been better left out. But I give the movie a “very good” rating. It means well, develops the characters and sets a good “moral” tone for behavior.  And the animation is fantastic. I really can't judge the sound well when streaming, it's Atmos not not very spacious.

Also, watch the documentary of it's making, it's very interesting .

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 02:25:22 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 02:17:31 PM »
I was hoping you'd review this one, Barry, as I was looking to see how it compared to the Disney version, and del Toro's work is almost always worth viewing, at least once.

It sounds like it really has something new to offer on the story, although I'm wondering if replacing Pleasure Island misses an opportunity to explore a condition that is so prevalent today.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 04:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the review. I will check it out.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »
Interesting. Look forward to watching 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600