AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Vengeance (Blu-ray, 2022, Netflix rental)

Vengeance (Blu-ray, 2022, Netflix rental)
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:43:02 PM »

Written and directed by B. J. Novak, best known as Ryan from The Office, this is a revenge story of a man whose girlfriend is murdered at the hands of a cruel and brutal robber.  Armed only with a hatchet, he methodically stalks down her killer and all who stand in his way.

OK, I made that up. 

This is about a dead (murdered?) girlfriend of sorts, and his investigation of what happened.  I won't go into much more detail than that, since it's more enjoyable to watch the movie unfold and it's much more than just a plot summary.  The movie is packed with references about, and discussion of current topics such as casual hookups to podcasts and other digital recordings, divisions and commonality, narcissism, the opioid crisis, and much more.  That said, it's not scattered, nor does it dwell on any of the subjects for too long, weaving all of them into an intriguing mystery that slowly unfolds.  It also has a surprising amount of heart to it, in what could have just been a cynical reflection of today's culture.

The script is sharp and dense, with lines that sometimes take a second to register.  The acting feels natural for the most part, although there are a few sections that feel a bit over reliant on stereotypes.  Not surprising since some of the story revolves around the city mouse vs. country mouse setting of the story.  Novak's performance plays across a range of feelings, creating a believable character that shows a satisfying growth through the movie. 

The picture is often dreary, but also has elements of beauty, reflecting both the setting of the story and the thematic elements of the plot.  Sound is just a 5.1 DTS soundtrack, but works fine, with dialog that's easy to understand.  The DTS-X upmixer of my HTP-1 did a fine job with pulling fireworks sound out of the surrounds and also placing them in the overhead channels.  I've heard Atmos soundtracks that were less effective.

I pretty much went into this movie blind and was glad I did.  Not everyone will like it, but my wife and I both enjoyed it a lot.  It's one of those movies that will reward repeat viewings just due to how smart and well-written the script is.  It leaves the audience with lots to think about if they want to, with various characters espousing various views, but it never crosses the line of telling the audiences what to think.  Rather it gives the viewer plenty to contemplate and chew on.

I'll be adding this one to our library, but it's hard to recommend as a blind buy.  I can see others liking it as much as we did but could also see it just not being a good fit for others.  Perhaps the reference to Richard Linklater in the movie is a guide.  If you've enjoyed any of his works, you might like this one as well, and I would recommend renting it.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Vengeance (Blu-ray, 2022, Netflix rental)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 12:12:49 AM »
This looks like it's pretty good. Thanks for bringing it to your attention Scott. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 01:35:53 AM »
Very nice review, Scott. I've enjoyed the reviews you've posted recently and I think my tastes run fairly close to yours. Also seems like we're about the same age (born 1964). I'll be putting this on my list to check - thanks!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 01:36:25 PM »
Very nice review, Scott. I've enjoyed the reviews you've posted recently and I think my tastes run fairly close to yours. Also seems like we're about the same age (born 1964). I'll be putting this on my list to check - thanks!
Thank you for the complement, Paul.  I had been a little hesitant to create review posts since I'm just a guy without any kind of credentials, but it felt like a good opportunity to highlight some good moves that are easily overlooked.  One effect of the pandemic-induced slowdown is that it's allowed some of these lesser-known movies to get noticed, and there are gems to be discovered and shared.

One thing I neglected to mention in this post is that there is quite a bit of humor in it, some of it dark, and there were a number of laugh-out-loud moments.  This shouldn't come as a surprise, since Novak wrote a number of episodes for The Office as well as a couple of books that were critical successes.

After thinking about the movie overnight, one of other things that make it stand out is that there's actual dialog about ideas, not just exposition to drive the plot, but characters talking about stuff.  I guess that's why I drew the comparison with some of Linklater's movies.  I've made mention of not caring for films where you have to actively turn off your brain to get through them, and this is the opposite of that.  Not that it's overly intellectual; the viewer can engage with as much of the extra content as they wish, or just let it wash over him or her, but it adds a layer of richness that is so often missing in today's movies.

And yes, we're the same age - last year of the baby boomers.  Let us know what you think after watching it.

Scott
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 02:26:43 PM »
Thank you for the complement, Paul.  I had been a little hesitant to create review posts since I'm just a guy without any kind of credentials, but it felt like a good opportunity to highlight some good moves that are easily overlooked.  One effect of the pandemic-induced slowdown is that it's allowed some of these lesser-known movies to get noticed, and there are gems to be discovered and shared.

One thing I neglected to mention in this post is that there is quite a bit of humor in it, some of it dark, and there were a number of laugh-out-loud moments.  This shouldn't come as a surprise, since Novak wrote a number of episodes for The Office as well as a couple of books that were critical successes.

After thinking about the movie overnight, one of other things that make it stand out is that there's actual dialog about ideas, not just exposition to drive the plot, but characters talking about stuff.  I guess that's why I drew the comparison with some of Linklater's movies.  I've made mention of not caring for films where you have to actively turn off your brain to get through them, and this is the opposite of that.  Not that it's overly intellectual; the viewer can engage with as much of the extra content as they wish, or just let it wash over him or her, but it adds a layer of richness that is so often missing in today's movies.

And yes, we're the same age - last year of the baby boomers.  Let us know what you think after watching it.

Scott
Scott,

Your reviews have been great and feel free to continue writing them. I got started reviewing the exact same way...everyone has to start somewhere! 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:29:38 PM »
Scott,

Your reviews have been great and feel free to continue writing them. I got started reviewing the exact same way...everyone has to start somewhere!
Thanks, David.

I just don't want to step on anyone else's toes, so I'll keep adding odd ones that I come across.

Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »
Scott, if you told me that you used to write reviews for some small website, I'd believe you. Your writing is quite good, your summations and characterizations nicely done. Sometimes the "pro" reviewers have more details or filmmaking/writing elements that they focus on and that can be good, but also sometimes seems to be tangential to what really matters for most of the audience. Your reviews have been a great contribution to the site!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 07:09:49 PM »
Scott, if you told me that you used to write reviews for some small website, I'd believe you. Your writing is quite good, your summations and characterizations nicely done. Sometimes the "pro" reviewers have more details or filmmaking/writing elements that they focus on and that can be good, but also sometimes seems to be tangential to what really matters for most of the audience. Your reviews have been a great contribution to the site!
I totally agree! Keep 'em coming. 

I try and just share my thoughts on the film and whether I enjoyed it or not. If you generally like the same types of movies I do, then you'll like reading my reviews. If you like different types (@Craig Peer, I'm talking to you) and I don't like something, you'll probably love it :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »
For anyone interested, I just noticed that this movie is now streaming for free for Amazon Prime members.

Scott

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 11:18:08 AM »
This looks interesting.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:03:15 PM »
For anyone interested, I just noticed that this movie is now streaming for free for Amazon Prime members.

Scott
I asked for it for Christmas, but no one got it for me. I'll watch on Amazon now that it can be streamed. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 06:50:54 AM »
Might have to give it a go
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 02:07:28 AM »
Watched it tonight. We enjoyed it, though I think my wife didn't catch many of the references. Interestingly, I was just recently telling a friend about Chekhov's gun principle. Also managed to catch the clue for the phone lock code, which kinda jumped out at me though at the time I didn't have a clue what it was - it was a "gun" in its own way. Having also watched both seasons of Only Murders In Building, the "podcast within a movie/TV show" conceit wasn't new. Just a minor nitpick but IMO some of the pretentiousness of their aim, while skewered a bit, was muted and I felt a bit more could have been done with the (extremely lovely) Issa Rae character. 

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 07:36:02 AM »
Nice. The more I read about it the more I want to see it. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 10:59:49 PM »
Watched it tonight. We enjoyed it, though I think my wife didn't catch many of the references. Interestingly, I was just recently telling a friend about Chekhov's gun principle. Also managed to catch the clue for the phone lock code, which kinda jumped out at me though at the time I didn't have a clue what it was - it was a "gun" in its own way. Having also watched both seasons of Only Murders In Building, the "podcast within a movie/TV show" conceit wasn't new. Just a minor nitpick but IMO some of the pretentiousness of their aim, while skewered a bit, was muted and I felt a bit more could have been done with the (extremely lovely) Issa Rae character.
Glad you and your wife liked this one, Paul.

We haven't watched Only Murders in the Building, but have heard good things about it.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal