5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review

5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 22, 2022, 02:18:02 PM »

Studio: MVD Entertainment Group
Release Date: November 22, 2022
 Rating: Not Rated
 Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 This highly-anticipated movie is set in the spring of 1977, in the tiny town of Wadsworth, IL., where Pat is a sci-fi obsessed teenager making increasingly ambitious 8mm films in the hopes of heading for Hollywood one day. As he tries (and fails) to balance running his “studio" with chasing the girl of his dreams, Linda, a courageous phone call, placed by his concerned mother, results in Pat taking "the ultimate trip" to Hollywood, meeting a couple of industry titans, and getting an early look at an upcoming sci-fi film, unlike any he’s ever seen before. Now, Pat is forced to choose - between chasing a seemingly impossible dream...or accepting the comforting familiarity of home.

My Thoughts
When I saw the press release for this film, I knew it was something I had to see given my own personal history with Star Wars. On its release in 1977, I turned 8 years old and was lucky enough to see the film early in its theatrical run because I lived in Modesto, CA, at the time, which just happened to be George Lucas’ hometown, so our local theater was one of the first cities to get a copy (back in those days, not every theater got a print on release day).

This is a somewhat fictionalized look at writer/director Patrick Read Johnson’s life and how he got into the film business wrapped into a coming-of-age story. Believe it or not, this film was actually shot between 2004 and 2006 and didn’t make its official theatrical review until over 10 years later on May 22, 2017 (additional VFX work was done in 2015 and 2016). It had a very limited theatrical run in 2017 and then disappeared for five years. On May 25, 2022 MVD Entertainment Group acquired the rights to the film and had it screened at a couple of movie festivals before a limited theatrical run in approximately 100 theaters but I couldn’t find out how much it earned during this limited run (probably not much).

Like many passion projects there are a few flaws with the film. It’s too long at 132 minutes. A good 30 minutes could have been trimmed from the film and kept the spirit alive and audiences more engaged. My wife and daughter grew tired of the pacing and stuck it out to the end but were complaining about the overall length. I can’t disagree with them. With so many years between principal photography and the film’s debut, one would think that it would have had countless opportunities to finetune the picture, but the result is a bit too bloated.

The acting is decent, not great, but John Francis Daley is well cast as the lead (and he’s gone on to do a fair amount of acting in the ensuing years), but the majority of the young actors had a cup of coffee in Hollywood and went on to pursue other opportunities outside of acting.

Video 4/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with writer/director Patrick Read Johnson and moderator Seth Gaven
  • 2013 Fantasia Film Festival Q & A with director Patrick Read Johnson
  • Cast and Crew Photo Gallery
  • Location Photo Gallery
  • Miniatures Photo Gallery

Conclusion
 I love the movies today because of the impact Star Wars made on my life as a kid, so I guess Johnson and I have something in common. Then again, Johnson’s first inspiration was 2001: A Space Odyssey, which you’ll discover in the opening of this film, and that’s a film I find a complete bore. If you’re a movie lover then this is a film you must see, flaws and all. I would love to put this in the hands of a top-flight editor without Johnson having input to see if a better film would become of it, but he’s too heavily invested in his life story to leave anything out, which is ultimately what takes away from what could have been a damn near perfect film. Despite these flaws, definitely give it a look because there are a lot of fun moments to enjoy.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: 5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 08:37:11 PM »
Sounds great. I’ll add it to the queue. Thanks!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 10:25:57 PM »
Nice review and remembrance, David.  Did you ever run into Lucas while you were in Modesto?

I was 13 when Star Wars came out, and it had a similar effect on me.  Sure, there were other space movies out there (I share your feelings on 2001), and we had Star Trek reruns and Space 1999 on TV, but nothing prepared me for seeing Star Wars. There were hints of what was coming, since the movie was featured in Starlog magazine, and some of the Marvel Comics were released before the movie, but even those didn't convey the scope of the sights, sounds, and music of the movie.  (Side note:  I almost gave up collecting the comic series after issue one because there were no aliens in the story.  Then I saw the cover to issue two and was hooked!)

I even spent a semester in film school inspired by Star Wars and the movies that followed before deciding it wasn't a good path for me, so I'm sure there's plenty in the film to identify with.  

This movie looks interesting, but Netflix is only offering it on DVD, so I'll be waiting for a bit before watching it.  Maybe it will hit streaming in the next couple of months.  Until then I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Interesting to see John Francis Daley in the movie, since I seem to recall The Empire Strikes back being featured in one of Freaks and Geeks episodes.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 01:38:12 AM »
Nice review and remembrance, David.  Did you ever run into Lucas while you were in Modesto?

I was 13 when Star Wars came out, and it had a similar effect on me.  Sure, there were other space movies out there (I share your feelings on 2001), and we had Star Trek reruns and Space 1999 on TV, but nothing prepared me for seeing Star Wars. There were hints of what was coming, since the movie was featured in Starlog magazine, and some of the Marvel Comics were released before the movie, but even those didn't convey the scope of the sights, sounds, and music of the movie.  (Side note:  I almost gave up collecting the comic series after issue one because there were no aliens in the story.  Then I saw the cover to issue two and was hooked!)

I even spent a semester in film school inspired by Star Wars and the movies that followed before deciding it wasn't a good path for me, so I'm sure there's plenty in the film to identify with. 

This movie looks interesting, but Netflix is only offering it on DVD, so I'll be waiting for a bit before watching it.  Maybe it will hit streaming in the next couple of months.  Until then I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Interesting to see John Francis Daley in the movie, since I seem to recall The Empire Strikes back being featured in one of Freaks and Geeks episodes.

Scott
Scott,

I was 8 at the time and he would have been a giant to me :D

I did meet Lucas though later in life. I was in San Rafael, CA in a Subway restaurant ordering a sandwich and I look to my left and standing there is none other than George Lucas. I was taken aback and turned to him and said, "Mr. Lucas, I just want to thank you for making my childhood memorable. I absolutely loved Star Wars and it had a positive influence on my life." He was rather shy and replied, "Thank you." I then said "Enjoy your sandwich and have a nice day" and paid for my meal and sat down and started eating.

He took his sandwich to go and the owner of the shop (who made both of our sandwiches) told me that I handled that encounter with the utmost respect. He said Lucas frequented the restaurant a lot and hates to get mauled by people asking for pictures and autographs.

I have a few other Star Wars stories as well. I actually sold paint to Skywalker Ranch and Big Rock Ranch (where Clone Wars cartoon was made) and when I was writing the specification for the projects, got to go into each and every building on the facility. I was able to walk into Lucas' office (WAY COOL, by the way) and see all of the various theaters onsite.

I also got to attend a press event at Big Rock Ranch in 2009...here's the article I wrote at the time:

On September 22, 2009, Lucasfilm hosted a Star Wars: The Clone Wars press junket at Lucasfilm Animation at Big Rock Ranch, next door to Skywalker Ranch in Nicassio, CA, about 45 minutes north of San Francisco. As a longtime Star Wars fanatic, when I was asked whether I wanted to attend the event for Home Theater, I thought of the wonderful line from Jerry Maguire—"You had me at hello."

Things kicked off in the morning with an hour-long screening of a three-episode story arc from season two of Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Rise of the Bounty Hunters that starts on the planet Geonosis, which was last seen in Attack of the Clones. These episodes focus on how Anakin's training of his Padawan differs from that of his Jedi colleagues, how friendships evolve, and how that affects various decisions. There's also a trip into the vast underground mazes of Geonosis.

I was particularly struck by how much the animation in the series has improved compared with The Clone Wars feature film I watched on Blu-ray a year ago. The depth and dimension are outstanding, and the movements and actions of the characters are much more life-like and fluid.

Following the screening, a press conference featured supervising director Dave Filoni—who's known in the building as Lucas's Padawan— series producer Cary Silver, and voice actors Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), Dee Bradley Baker (Rex and clones), and James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan Kenobi). The quintet discussed how the show is evolving from season one to season two, and much like The Empire Strikes Back, it will get much deeper into character dynamics, and the storylines will be a lot darker.

Filoni promised that things will be better in the second season from a technological perspective as well. The animation studio was a newbie when the project started, but with 22 episodes under its belt, the processes are more refined, and it can now push the technical bounds in season two. Expect more characters, more actors, and a bigger canvas.

Next on the agenda, Lucasarts demonstrated its new game, Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes, available for the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, PSP, DS, and PC. It bridges the story between season one and two of the TV show and shares the same modeling characteristics fans have grown used to on a weekly basis.

Before lunch, I spoke with three of the animators who set up shop in the lobby, and they demonstrated the process of animating the characters, constructing the scenes, and then shading and lighting the scenes to create realistic textures and environments.

After lunch—which was quite a spread—I got to see a private screening of Star Wars: The Clone Wars season one on Blu-ray with Lucasfilm's Chris Argyropoulos in the Dashiel Hammett screening room, which features a 15-foot screen and a Christie 2000 DLP projector.  The four-disc set contains all 22 episodes from the first season, including seven extended Director's Cuts, as well as a galaxy of supplements such as an extensive database of creative materials used in the show. Although I prefer the picture from my JVC DLA-HD1 projector, the screening room's acoustics and aesthetics were phenomenal.

At the end of the day, we engaged in roundtable interviews with the voice actors in a more intimate boardroom setting. The actors explained how they were drawn to the show, what other projects they've worked on, and the process of voiceover with its challenges and the unique benefit of being somewhat famous while maintaining some level of privacy, since no one knows what they look like.

I was particularly impressed with James Arnold Taylor, who put on quite a performance for our interview group. His vocal range is amazing—not only can he nail Ewan McGregor's voice as Obi-Wan, but he can mimic other famous actors. In fact, when actors such as Shia LaBeouf, David Spade, Michael J. Fox, Billy Bob Thornton, and Johnny Depp aren't available to record their own voices, Taylor steps in for them—he's that good! In addition, he serves as one of the promo voices of the Fox TV network and is the new voice of Fred Flintstone.

Many Star Wars fans have felt the franchise is running out of steam, but after my day at Big Rock Ranch, I beg to differ. The franchise is geared to capture a new generation of fans and I look forward to watching season one on Blu-ray plus I've already setup a season pass on TiVo for season two, which debuts Friday October 2, at 8 p.m. on Cartoon Network.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 01:44:28 AM »
One final story....one of the PR guys from this event invited me to ILM in San Francisco and he allowed me to bring my family along. That was quite an experience as well. Here are some photos (this was from 2010). 

https://i.imgur.com/PEDN6XY.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review

https://i.imgur.com/Wci0LiG.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review

https://i.imgur.com/7MglnBc.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
https://i.imgur.com/QHhjhoY.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
https://i.imgur.com/EU4Pd7R.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
https://i.imgur.com/XCQUT3H.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
https://i.imgur.com/r2Zd3ik.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
https://i.imgur.com/nJGrCkC.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 07:45:41 PM »
Those are awesome stories, David!  One of my bucket list items has always been to meet Lucas in person and thank him the way you were able too, but time seems to be against me on that one.  I've seen him in person a couple of times at conventions, but always from afar. Still cool, but not quite the same.

And to have been in his actual office?  I think I would have dies on the spot. And you got to see the rest of Skywalker Ranch? And ILM?  Those are amazing memories.

Love the pictures of your family with the props.  I've had the chance to see quite a few of the movie props and costumes in person, either in museum exhibitions or at conventions, and it's incredible how much detail actually went into them.  For example, here's a close up of the Millenium Falcon, and imagine the surprise to see a rather earthly-looking detail present, but not visible in the movies:

https://i.imgur.com/rQaXWfW.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review

If any fans get a chance to see this stuff in person, it's certainly worth the opportunity.

Scott
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 10:08:00 PM »
Those are awesome stories, David!  One of my bucket list items has always been to meet Lucas in person and thank him the way you were able too, but time seems to be against me on that one.  I've seen him in person a couple of times at conventions, but always from afar. Still cool, but not quite the same.

And to have been in his actual office?  I think I would have dies on the spot. And you got to see the rest of Skywalker Ranch? And ILM?  Those are amazing memories.

Love the pictures of your family with the props.  I've had the chance to see quite a few of the movie props and costumes in person, either in museum exhibitions or at conventions, and it's incredible how much detail actually went into them.  For example, here's a close up of the Millenium Falcon, and imagine the surprise to see a rather earthly-looking detail present, but not visible in the movies:

https://i.imgur.com/rQaXWfW.jpg
5-25-77 (Blu-ray) review

If any fans get a chance to see this stuff in person, it's certainly worth the opportunity.

Scott
Scott,

It was an absolute blast and fulfilled a childhood dream, that's for sure. I LOL at The Big Bang Theory episode when Leonard and Sheldon go to Skywalker Ranch. When you pull up to the gate the first time it's pretty non-descript and even once you enter the property, it's a good 1/2 mile (if not more) down a 2-lane road until you get to the main campus (which is spread out quite a bit). On my first visit there, I could have sworn I saw Natalie Portman from a distance, but it wouldn't have been very professional of me to go and stalk her (although the thought did cross my mind ;)). 

In regard to the props...you're so correct. The amount of detail you see when looking at them close up is pretty damn amazing. The definitely don't take any shortcuts. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:34 PM »
On tonight's AV Nirvana livestreamed, they mentioned that they'll be hosting a live chat with director Patrick Read Johnson on one of their shows next week.  Date and time haven't been announced yet, so I'll try and post that when they do.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 10:39:54 AM »
The AV Nirvana live interview with director Patrick Reed Johnson will air on Thursday, 12/8/22, at 8:00 PM Eastern and 5:00 PM Pacific.

Here's a link: 

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it should still be interesting listening to him talk about it.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 08:55:55 PM »
The AV Nirvana live interview with director Patrick Reed Johnson will air on Thursday, 12/8/22, at 8:00 PM Eastern and 5:00 PM Pacific.

Here's a link: 

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it should still be interesting listening to him talk about it.

Scott
Hopefully they record it since I'm not available this week. I'd like to see it though. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 10:34:39 PM »
Hopefully they record it since I'm not available this week. I'd like to see it though.
Yes, this will be recorded and available after the broadcast.  Sorry you're not able to join in.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 08:40:50 AM »
I'm in Chicago at a sales meeting and have a dinner on Thursday night that I need to attend. Thanks for the information!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 10:20:05 PM »
The AV Nirvana interview was really cool and went for over two hours.  I'm sure it was even better for anyone that has seen the movie. Patrick Reed Johnson was super enthusiastic about the movie and the events that inspired it, which was fun to listen to.

Among the things discussed was an extended director's cut, and the possibility of a future live-stream commentary with the director.  

Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »
The AV Nirvana interview was really cool and went for over two hours.  I'm sure it was even better for anyone that has seen the movie. Patrick Reed Johnson was super enthusiastic about the movie and the events that inspired it, which was fun to listen to.

Among the things discussed was an extended director's cut, and the possibility of a future live-stream commentary with the director. 

Scott
Good to hear, but I would prefer a Director's shortened cut. One of the negatives of the film is that it goes on for too long. If it cut about 15 minutes, it would have been much better. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 08:00:00 PM »
Good to hear, but I would prefer a Director's shortened cut. One of the negatives of the film is that it goes on for too long. If it cut about 15 minutes, it would have been much better.
Yes, as soon as he mentioned a director's cut, I recalled what you had said in your review.  

One thing was really clear during the talk; he absolutely loves this project.  In addition to the personal nature of the film, he's also pleased with all the details that went into it, and he gave huge credit to the team that worked on it.  I guess when you're that close to the material it can be terribly painful to have to cut parts out, and he said there was a lot that didn't make it to this version.

Still, it could be interesting.  I know that there are a bunch of scenes from This Is Spinal Tap that weren't included in the movie (but are evidently available somewhere), and they're said to be fantastically funny.  Not sure if they would make it a better movie or not, but I'd still kind of like to see them some day.

If the director's cut of 5/25/77 contains both cuts, I might just end up buying it.

Scott 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal