Ghosts - Season One (DVD) review

Ghosts - Season One (DVD) review
« on: November 19, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »

Studio: LionsGate
Release Date: November 29, 2022
Rating: TV-14
TV Show:  4.5/5

Plot
Freelance writer Samantha (Rose McIver) and aspiring chef Jay (Utkarsh Ambudkar) throw both caution and money to the wind to leave NYC and convert a rundown country estate they inherited into a bed & breakfast — only to find that it’s inhabited by a close-knit, eclectic group of spirits of deceased former residents! Adding to the supernatural surprises, Samantha discovers that she can see and hear ghosts everywhere, including those with whom she now shares a home. Old-school haunting and oddball humor fuel this sharp-witted, quirky comedy series that gives new meaning to the real estate phrase, “It’s got great bones.”

My Thoughts
It’s extremely rare that I review anything on DVD anymore, but that was all the studio was offering for this title and beggars can’t be choosers. Ghosts is heavily promoted on CBS, but I never took the time to watch it during its debut season last year, but it ended up becoming the #1 rated “new comedy” on TV—at least according to the CBS promos. It follows Young Sheldon on Thursday nights, which is the overall #1 comedy on TV, so you sometimes don’t know if the follow-up is any good of if it’s riding the coattails of its lead-in. In this particular case, it’s as good as advertised.

My wife and I set out to watch a few episodes to get the overall feeling of the show and were instantly hooked. Rose McIver is extremely likable as the main character and her chemistry with her onscreen husband is very believable. The ensemble cast of ghosts are hilarious from the outset and only they only get better as the show goes along when you learn of their individual quirks and the ensemble cast starts to gel. For full disclosure, we are only about 50% of the way through the first season, but we’re hooked and I’m thankful I set up a season pass on my TiVo and have all of the second season shows recorded.

I’m not going to dwell on the A/V quality—it’s DVD, so while it won’t blow you away it is better than a VHS tape! My requirements for a TV show are much lower than a feature film, so I’m going to get through the first season and hopefully find the Blu-ray on sale at some point in the future.

Video 3/5
Audio 3/5 (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Special Features:
  • None

Conclusion
It’s easy to see why this show has gained a good following. It’s been adapted from a UK series and features an outstanding ensemble cast of fresh faces and quick-witted writing and I’m glad that I requested it. We’ve laughed-out-loud during every episode and it’s great to have another short comedy in our viewing queue to end the night with. If you haven’t had a chance to catch it, definitely give it a look. Given how well the writing has been thus far, I see it being at or near the top of the TV ratings for many years to come. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Ghosts - Season One (DVD) review
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 07:31:49 PM »
We started watching the BBC version this is based on (no, this really isn't a "CBS Original") and didn't continue for some reason. Not that it was bad I think we just had limited TV series time and it didn't make the cut. 

I liked Rose McIver in iZombie so I'm curious about this. Weird seeing her without white out zombie makeup lol.

Re: Ghosts - Season One (DVD) review
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 07:39:28 PM »
We started watching the BBC version this is based on (no, this really isn't a "CBS Original") and didn't continue for some reason. Not that it was bad I think we just had limited TV series time and it didn't make the cut.

I liked Rose McIver in iZombie so I'm curious about this. Weird seeing her without white out zombie makeup lol.
My wife saw her in some Christmas movies from either Hallmark or Lifetime and recognized her. She's cute as a button and extremely likable. I'm sure it can be streamed on some service, but not sure which one. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal