Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray) review

Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 12, 2022, 05:43:21 PM »

Studio: MGM / Warner Brothers
Release Date: November 15, 2022
Rating: R
Film:  3.5/5

Plot
Dr Alithea Binnie (Tilda Swinton) is an academic...a creature of reason. While in Istanbul, she happens to encounter a Djinn (Idris Elba) who offers her three wishes in exchange for his freedom. At first, she doubts that he is real and she knows all the cautionary tales of wishes gone wrong. But the Djinn pleads his case, and eventually she is beguiled and makes a wish that surprises them both!

My Thoughts
Here’s another film that landed in my inbox even though I had never heard of it—I think I should start watching more trailers! Anyway, the film is written by George Miller and Augusta Gore and is based on the short story “The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye” by A. S. Bryatt. Miller also directs and does a commendable job of weaving an intriguing tale of the bad things that happen when you play with magic.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but found the story intriguing from the outset and it definitely does a good job of sucking you into the story. My only gripe would be that the second act drags a bit and could have used a little editing, but this is a minor quibble, at best. I really enjoyed the sound design though, which is one of the best you’ll ever hear. They really made great use of the overhead speakers and used some great techniques to create an ultra-realistic sound.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
Audio 5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Digital Copy

Conclusion
If the pacing was a tad better in the second act, this would have earned a slightly higher rating on the entertainment value. Regardless, it’s an interesting take of the “three wishes out of the magic bottle” story and both Elba and Swinton deliver great performances. Definitely check this one out, especially if you have an Atmos system installed in your home.   

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »
You had me at George Miller.  I remember reading about this months ago, but had completely forgotten about it until your review.

In addition to a good story, I'm happy to hear that we're finally getting a movie that make us of the top speakers; really looking forward to giving this one a spin.

Could they have made a more dull-looking cover for this release?  It looks uninspired, bleak, and amateurish, with the stars hardly recognizable.  What was the marketing department thinking?

Thanks for the review,

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:25:40 PM »
You had me at George Miller.  I remember reading about this months ago, but had completely forgotten about it until your review.

In addition to a good story, I'm happy to hear that we're finally getting a movie that make us of the top speakers; really looking forward to giving this one a spin.

Could they have made a more dull-looking cover for this release?  It looks uninspired, bleak, and amateurish, with the stars hardly recognizable.  What was the marketing department thinking?

Thanks for the review,

Scott
There's a 4K available, but Warner didn't send those out for review...just Blu-ray only. The audio is worth the price of admission. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 12:54:42 AM »
I have the 4K disc on the way. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »
I loved this movie! As did all my guests. And, it looked fantastic on my new RS4100 - first 4K movie I watched on it in fact.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:42:18 PM »
Thought I'd pass this along for those interested, various sources show this movie will be coming to Amazon Prime on 2/17/23.

Since Netflix hasn't deemed me worthy of sending the disc yet, I'll probably end up streaming it.

Scott
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:23:10 AM »
We streamed this a few weeks ago - I think it was on HBO Max? 

It was both not quite what I was thinking it would be, and in some ways it was. The fairy tale of the Djinn and the lamp has of course been featured in many movie & TV forms so some familiar aspects are there, but this found a new angle. The stories from the Djinn are fantastical and whimsically told for the most part, though I recall wondering about about the fit of one from a thematic standpoint. In lesser hands I think this could have turned into a "Mary Sue" story but it didn't. 

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »
We finally watched this one on Amazon Prime last night, and my wife and I enjoyed it tremendously.  The story worked surprisingly well, with a blend of tales across time, each of them interesting and different.

The visuals were outstanding, with a blend of the ordinary present day along with the fantastical.  It was an absolute treat to see.  It struck me of a blend of 300 and Pan's Labyrinth, using the style to enhance the settings and feel for each of the backstories shown.  Parts were just absolute eye candy.

The Amazon streaming version did not include the Atmos soundtrack, but still sounded great.

I'll be adding the 4K version to our library.

Scott

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »
We finally watched this one on Amazon Prime last night, and my wife and I enjoyed it tremendously.  The story worked surprisingly well, with a blend of tales across time, each of them interesting and different.

The visuals were outstanding, with a blend of the ordinary present day along with the fantastical.  It was an absolute treat to see.  It struck me of a blend of 300 and Pan's Labyrinth, using the style to enhance the settings and feel for each of the backstories shown.  Parts were just absolute eye candy.

The Amazon streaming version did not include the Atmos soundtrack, but still sounded great.

I'll be adding the 4K version to our library.

Scott
I really need to watch this movie again soon.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 08:03:28 PM »
I really need to watch this movie again soon.
I'm hoping to find a great deal on it this Black Friday.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal