Elf (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Elf (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: November 11, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: November 8, 2022
Rating: PG
Film: 5/5

Plot
 This hilarious Christmas film tells the tale of a young orphan child who mistakenly crawls into Santa's bag of gifts on Christmas Eve and is transported back to the North Pole and raised as an elf. Years later Buddy learns he is not really an elf and goes on a journey to New York City to find his true identity.

My Thoughts

Of the four Christmas movies released by Warner this holiday season, this may be my favorite of the bunch. While it isn’t the holiday classic (yet) that A Christmas Story is, I actually enjoy the film a bit more and is one that we watch every single year in our home. What’s so amazing to me is that I didn’t like this film the first time I saw it. Maybe it was my mood, but it just didn’t make me laugh. Maybe I went in with negative feelings towards Will Ferrell movies, which generally don’t tickle my funny bone, but the second time I saw it I liked it a lot more.

I’ve probably watched it 15-20 times over the last 19 years and it’s something I actually look forward to watching each Christmas season—it’s a family tradition now. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I saw a 4K release was in the offering and couldn’t wait to get my copy.

My Blu-ray copy has gotten a lot of use since its 2008 release, but I have to say that this 4K upgrade is massive. Fine detail in loads better in facial pores, clothing, and backgrounds. Depth is massively improved as well as color saturation—it looks like a completely new movie. One side effect of this is the color timing has changed and enhances the teal/orange look found on Christmas Vacation, which really shows up in skin tones. The benefit of this is that the color palette gets a boost from the practice.

The audio track seems to mirror the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track from the 2008 Blu-ray, but I’m disappointed they didn’t give a new Atmos track along with the revamped video. Regardless, this isn’t the type of movie you’d use to showcase your theater’s audio prowess anyway, so maybe I’m just being greedy.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 8.5/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Jon Favrequ
  • Audio Commentary with Will Ferrell
  • 9 Documentaries
  • Fact Track
  • Focus Points
  • Elf Karaoke
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Deleted/Alternate Scenes
  • UHD Blu-ray + Blu-ray
  • Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
One area that I need to give Will Ferrell props in is that he has refused to do a sequel on this movie, which couple possibly ruin the magic that this film brings to the table. The fish out of water story of Buddy in New York City only gets better with time and now that there’s a 4K disc available, it will be the only version we watch in my home going forward. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Elf (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »
Happy to see that this is a good transfer that outperforms the Blu-ray!

Saw this for the first time ever last year and was shocked by how much we liked it.  Normally I'm allergic to Will Farrell projects, so completely avoided it, but he was absolutely perfect in this role, portraying a sense of good-natured innocence that feels completely natural and genuine.  I would never have expected that kind of performance from him, but he excelled as this character.  The supporting cast is all up to the task as well.

This one will definitely get added to my movie shopping list, and I'll be eager to give it a watch again.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Elf (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 08:52:17 PM »
Happy to see that this is a good transfer that outperforms the Blu-ray!

Saw this for the first time ever last year and was shocked by how much we liked it.  Normally I'm allergic to Will Farrell projects, so completely avoided it, but he was absolutely perfect in this role, portraying a sense of good-natured innocence that feels completely natural and genuine.  I would never have expected that kind of performance from him, but he excelled as this character.  The supporting cast is all up to the task as well.

This one will definitely get added to my movie shopping list, and I'll be eager to give it a watch again.

Scott
Scott,

You and I are on the same page in regard to Farrell...this is basically the only movie he's ever done that I've enjoyed. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal