AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Werewolf by Night (Disney Plus)

« on: October 24, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
This is listed as a TV special at just 52 minutes, but it plays more like a short-form movie, featuring two lesser-know Marvel Comics characters.  One is listed in the title, the second is a bit of a surprise that I won't ruin, but Marvel fans will likely find delightful.  Directed by music composer Michael Giacchino, and shot almost exclusively in black and white, it features the atmosphere and style of the classic Universal monster movies, including such nice and careful touches such as cigarette burns.  Performances tend to fall on the hammy side of things, but some may find that fitting with the period it attempts to recreate.

https://i.imgur.com/44kmMkh.png

The story involves a group of monster hunters gathered together to recognize the recent death of one of their leaders, and the awarding of an ancient and valuable relic to aid the most deserving of the remaining group.  While not scary in any way, the setup is interesting, the atmosphere well-recreated, and the score was fitting with the theme and story.

Unfortunately, the story wastes all of that, handicapped primarily by an incredibly stupid competition that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the context of the film.  It's too bad, because it really had potential to do something different and creative within the classic Marvel monster universe (yes, that was a thing), but it really needed a stronger story instead of heavily relying on style.

Might be worth a view, since it does have the right feel for the season, and it's short enough to feel like you haven't wasted that much time watching it.  Just be sure to disengage your brain and absorb the atmosphere and you might find it entertaining enough, even if it leaves you lamenting for what might have been.

I can't comment on the quality of the sound, since Disney+ and Nvidia Shield are currently having a compatibility issue that only outputs stereo at this time.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Barry

Re: Werewolf by Night (Disney Plus)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 04:30:55 PM »
This story has nothing to do with Marvel's Werewolf by Night, with the exception of the name of the werewolf, Jack Russel. But Werewolf By Night featured the first appearance of Moon Knight.  I had to scan that cover in for Marvel a few months ago, they didn't have it.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to check it out. Currently, the only show I'm watching on Disney+ is Star Wars: Rebels, which is actually pretty damn good. In fact, it may be the most consistently good Star Wars since the original trilogy. We are about 1/2 way through Season 3 and are really enjoying it. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:53:44 PM »
This story has nothing to do with Marvel's Werewolf by Night, with the exception of the name of the werewolf, Jack Russel. But Werewolf By Night featured the first appearance of Moon Knight.  I had to scan that cover in for Marvel a few months ago, they didn't have it.
My familiarity with the character was limited to cross-over appearances, most likely with Spider-Man on his Team-Up title.  

You're right in that the character in this movie doesn't have much to do with the comics character other than the name.  This is becoming an unfortunate trend.  Kinda dreading the upcoming appearance of Namor.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal