Nope (UHD Blu-ray) Review
« on: October 22, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »

Studio: 
Universal
Release Date: October 25, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
 Following their father’s shocking death, Hollywood animal wrangler OJ (Kaluuya) and his sister Emerald (Palmer) begin observing unexplained phenomena on their vast Southern California ranch that leads them down an obsessive rabbit hole as they plot attempts to capture the mystery on camera. Along with a former child star turned family theme park ringmaster (Yeun) who neighbors the siblings, the pair’s efforts to chase the spectacle soon bring terrifying consequences and unimaginable horror.

My Thoughts

Jordan Peele is one of the hottest commodities in Hollywood since his breakout success of Get Out from 2017 and his follow-up Us two years later. I enjoyed both his previous films, but I can’t say I loved them. That’s pretty much the way I feel about this one. It has its moments, but it’s far from a perfect film.

The concept itself is well done and he ratchets up the tension throughout the first two acts. The payoff at the end is a bit of a letdown, but maybe it’s because I expected so much more than what he could ultimately deliver. There’s a lot of symbolism in the film, such as how the treatment of animals within the movies can be seen a cruel from their point of view, but this aspect may be lost on some watchers (such as my wife) who didn’t understand the impact of the opening of the film. In fact, my wife didn’t make it to the end of this one although I think she was wrong to give up on it so early.

The presentation is excellent overall with a solid video encode that features plenty of depth, bold colors, and excellent black levels. The CGI is quite good when called upon as well. The true star of the show is the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which is aided by one of the layered audio tracks you’ll ever hear—thank you Johnnie Burn! Burn does a fabulous job with imaging and moving sounds throughout the room creating a sense of depth to the audio mix that the audience is thrown into the middle of the action. Whether you care for this type of film or not, it’s worth watching at least once for this aspect of the production.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Shadow: The Making of Nope
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Gag Reel
  • Call Him Jean Jacket
  • Mystery Man of Muybridge
  • 4K + Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
This is one of those types of films that may get better with repeated viewings, which is something I’ll probably due in the future in order to reexperience the excellent sound design. Overall, the 4K presentation is excellent and if you’re a fan of Peele’s other films, then you’ll probably like this one as well.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Nope (UHD Blu-ray) Review
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 06:14:14 PM »
LOVE peeles movies. But this was TERRIBLE. Imho. .5/5 for me. Glad you liked it better 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 06:33:07 PM »
LOVE peeles movies. But this was TERRIBLE. Imho. .5/5 for me. Glad you liked it better
You and my wife were on the same page. I was patient with it and it got better...maybe it was my mood as well. The wife disliked it, so I liked it just to piss her off. It was one of those nights ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 09:04:06 AM »
Hahaha now that’s funny
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 01:08:31 PM »
Greetings,

I liked this one more than you Dave but, agree that it isn't Peele's best work. Yeah, the Atmos track is simply top notch.

Nice review buddy.

Regards,

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »
Greetings,

I liked this one more than you Dave but, agree that it isn't Peele's best work. Yeah, the Atmos track is simply top notch.

Nice review buddy.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. Lori is seriously questioning our judgement. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 01:42:23 AM »
I finally had a chance to watch this tonight. Great film with lots of layers to unpack. As far as social commentary goes, don't read this before seeing the film - heavy spoilers -

Gordy Scene in Nope, Explained - What Does the Monkey Mean? (menshealth.com)

Going to watch it again Wednesday with another friend or two. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

jive turkey

• The same clown from AVSForum
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »
My favorite of Peele's three films.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal