AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Dirty Dancing 35th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: August 23, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
While vacationing in the summer of 1963 with her family, 17-year-old Baby (Jennifer Grey) is drawn to the staff quarters by stirring music and meets rebellious Jonny (Patrick Swayze), the hotel dance instructor, who is as experienced as Baby is naive. Oh the possibilities.

My Thoughts
This came to theaters the year I graduated high school and you could get a date with virtually any girl in school as long as you made it known you intended on taking her to see this flick. Needless to say, I saw it more than once and as far a chick flicks go, this is one of the best. The casting is perfect with Swayze and Grey as the two leads and the soundtrack is one of my personal favorites from the 1980s.

Lions Gate has been very aggressive with their catalog UHD releases and I’m not complaining one bit. Unfortunately, this title has been a mixed-bag for its home video releases. It’s 2007 Blu-ray release is arguably the worst-looking film ever to be released on the format—no joke. Thankfully, they went back and remastered it in 2010 and there was a vast improvement in the video quality—which means it went from atrocious to mediocre, yet watchable (unlike the 2007 version).

So, how does the UHD stack-up? Overall, not too shabby considering the track record of the film on home video. I can honestly say this is the best it has ever looked or sounded, but the bar really wasn’t that hard to surpass. The resolution is probably its strongest improvement and while the HDR treatment is nice, I wouldn’t say it’s Earth-shattering versus other HDR titles. The Dolby Atmos track is a crowd pleaser, especially if you like the music in the film (I personally do). The dialog is clear and intelligible and there’s a surprising amount of ambient noise that makes its way to the surround and overhead speakers. That being said, the music is definitely its strongest attribute.

Video 8.5/10

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
4K UHD
  • Audio Commentary with Writer-Coproducer Eleanor Begstein
  • Audio Commentary with Choreographer Kenny Ortega, Actress Miranda Grrison, Cinematographer Jeff Jur, Costume Designer Hilary Rosenfeld, and Production Designer David Chapman
  • “Establishing Shot” Featurette with Jeff Jur
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Digital Copy

Blu-ray
  • Intimate Interviews with Patrick Swayze
  • Outtakes/Deleted/Alternate/Extended Scenes
  • Cast Interviews with Jennifer Grey, Patrick Swayze, Eleanor Bergstein, and More
  • Two Filmmaker Commentaries
  • Music Videos & Much More

Conclusion
This happens to be one of my wife's favorite films and I may have to turn in my man card for saying this, but I enjoy it almost as much as she does. I've had a crush on Jennifer Grey for as long as I can remember, and I loved the way she looked before she decided to go and get a nose job (I prefer her original natural beauty). If you’re 4K capable and a fan of the film, it’s definitely worth the upgrade if you want the very best A/V quality. Recommended for fans.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Dirty Dancing 35th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »
No one puts baby in the corner

You know I’ve never actually seen this. Know the soundtrack by heart (my mom used to play it when driving me to middle
School lol)

Have To give it a spin 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
No one puts baby in the corner

You know I’ve never actually seen this. Know the soundtrack by heart (my mom used to play it when driving me to middle
School lol)

Have To give it a spin
Watch it with your wife and just enjoy it. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 08:18:39 AM »
Will do
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen