AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Protect amp terminals?

Protect amp terminals?
« on: July 21, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »
I had a scary moment last night where I dropped an HDMI cable while my system was on, and it fell against the terminals of my amp, causing sparks - and fortunately, an immediate shutdown from the amp's protection circuit. Thankfully that's all that happened.

But it raised the question to me - do folks ever put some kind of protection over their amp terminals, and if so what do you used? (On a lark I searched on "amp prophylactic" but that's a different thing. Not what I expected, lol.)

Re: Protect amp terminals?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:36:23 PM »
I had a scary moment last night where I dropped an HDMI cable while my system was on, and it fell against the terminals of my amp, causing sparks - and fortunately, an immediate shutdown from the amp's protection circuit. Thankfully that's all that happened.

But it raised the question to me - do folks ever put some kind of protection over their amp terminals, and if so what do you used? (On a lark I searched on "amp prophylactic" but that's a different thing. Not what I expected, lol.)
I never even thought of it, to be honest. Now I need to have impulse control to stay away from Google to do a search ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 08:29:45 PM »

But it raised the question to me - do folks ever put some kind of protection over their amp terminals, and if so what do you used? (On a lark I searched on "amp prophylactic" but that's a different thing. Not what I expected, lol.)
This same thing happened to me a number of months ago.  I thought the amp was OK, but it gave up the ghost a few months after that.  Never gave it a thought before that.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 12:03:44 AM »
This is only even an issue b/c of my current problem where having my new active fiber cable (for new JVC projector) connected to the 2nd HDMI out, keeps my Anthem from switching sources when using the TV. So I have to swap that cable in/out. If I weren't having to do that there would be little risk of ever dropping a freaking cable! 

So maybe the right approach is to stop that nonsense and remove the risk. My best bet may just be to reinstall the old 4K 18Gbps cable for now. I just tried a 1:2 HDMI splitter from OREI which seemed like a decent option based on reviews, but it's having issues keeping sync so isn't any better. 

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 01:42:26 PM »
I assume you are using banana plugs or some other connector that has exposed metal.

If this is the case, the easiest solution that comes to mind is to put heat shrink tubing on the plugs. They make it in different sizes and colors.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
I was going to say my amp speaker terminals have plastic knobs on them. It would be an unlucky shot to hit metal. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
I assume you are using banana plugs or some other connector that has exposed metal.

If this is the case, the easiest solution that comes to mind is to put heat shrink tubing on the plugs. They make it in different sizes and colors.
Yes, and great suggestion, should have thought of that. I have cables elsewhere that have it but I've never put it on myself so it didn't cross my mind. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal