AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Rare 'Back to the Future' VHS sells for $75,000 at Texas auction house

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
from chron,

"you need to own it on VHS, for which the market has likely ballooned now that a copy was sold by Texas' Heritage Auctions for $75,000. Granted, the one sold last week is far from a normal VHS. First, it’s sealed in its original Shrinkwrap, including the white MCA Home Video watermark, making it an even rarer collectible given that the classic time-travel comedy starring Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly is now 36 years-old. Second, this specific copy of the film was auctioned by its original owner, actor Tom Wilson, who played a history book’s worth of McFly family bullies throughout the films, most notably Biff Tannen. "
https://i.imgur.com/Dz5hTHZ.jpg
Rare 'Back to the Future' VHS sells for $75,000 at Texas auction house

Heritage Auctions also just sold a near-mint-plus VHS copy of "The Goonies," featuring a white wraparound Warner HV watermark that collectors apparently covet, for $50,000, and a mint copy of a 1983 "Jaws" VHS release sold for $32,500. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:41:58 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Wow! God bless the collectors......
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Time for me to go through some old boxes!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

LOL, how about that. Wish I could say I had a box to go through but I'm one of the many reasons stuff like that ends up being worth something.

Now, are my "Han shoots first" Laser Discs ever going to be worth anything? ???

bmoney

Damn. I knew I should have kept all my dads beta max movies 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

tripplej

Who buys and keeps it in the original seal and just say, hmm, it is the 1980s, let me buy this and not watch it and just keep it like I bought it and put in a box so that in 50 years or so I can sell it. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Who buys and keeps it in the original seal and just say, hmm, it is the 1980s, let me buy this and not watch it and just keep it like I bought it and put in a box so that in 50 years or so I can sell it. :)
This is off the video topic, but I have an interesting story regarding a record album I bought many years ago. While shopping at a vintage record store, I came across an album by the Beatles that I had never seen before. It's called 'The Beatles featuring Tony Sheridan' on Mr. Pickwick records from England. This is a recording from their early club days in Hamburg (1961-1962 I believe). As you may or may not know, Tony Sheridan was the drummer for the Beatles before Ringo Starr. I had the foresight to think that someday this album may be worth something so I bought two. One I kept sealed in the cellophane wrapper and the other I opened and have played on the old turn-table a few times. I have no idea what it might be worth, but here's to hoping it will help fund my retirement. 
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

tripplej

That is good thinking.. I on the other hand, would never thought of just keeping it around untouched! I would only buy 1 copy and just use it. lol.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal