Morbius (UHD Blu0ray) review

Morbius (UHD Blu0ray) review
« on: June 15, 2022, 10:03:49 AM »

Studio: Sony
Release Date: June 14, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
One of the most compelling and conflicted characters in Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters comes to the big screen as Oscar® winner Jared Leto transforms into the enigmatic antihero Michael Morbius. Dangerously ill with a rare blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his same fate, Dr. Morbius attempts a desperate gamble. While at first it seems to be a radical success, a darkness inside him is unleashed. Will good override evil – or will Morbius succumb to his mysterious new urges?

My Thoughts
I entered this film with about as low of expectations as one could get. The reviews weren’t very kind and my son had seen it and said it was LOL bad. Well, it turns out low expectations saved the day because in all honesty, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

For starters, the plot is coherent and does a good job of setting up the greater story. Is it as good as other origin stories in the Marvel universe? Not really, but it’s completely watchable. The biggest problem is it’s predictable and from about 15 minutes into the movie you pretty much know how it’s going to end. I think Leto did a serviceable job in the lead and Matt Smith does a decent job playing his best friend.

Some have complained that the PG-13 rating for the movie ruined it because they couldn’t show any of the gore but count me as one of the people who found this a benefit. You don’t have to see every gory detail to know what’s happening to the victim.

The overall presentation is very good. Black levels are generally deep and inky and there’s great depth in the image.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Outtakes & Bloopers
  • Five Featurettes
  • Nocturnal Ester Eggs

Conclusion
Sony has done a great job with the latest Spiderman films, but their other Marvel stories have been mostly misses with the Venom character and now this. While I wouldn’t consider this film unwatchable, I’m not sure it’s something that most will want to view multiple times either. The highlight of the production is the presentation, which is excellent from beginning to end.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Morbius (UHD Blu0ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
thanks!

Ill be watching this in the next couple days.  Ill report back
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

Re: Morbius (UHD Blu0ray) review
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 10:50:20 PM »
Just finished this. Agreed with your whole review no enjoyed it and the picture and sound were amazing. Good stuff
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up