AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Need help with new speakers for my home theater

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Need help with new speakers for my home theater
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »
I am currently looking to purchase new speakers for my home theater setup and thought I would throw this out there. I'm looking for L,C,R, subwoofer, side surrounds and rear surrounds to start (7.1 setup). I'm on the fence between tower front left and right speakers and bookshelf speakers on stands given that I will have a subwoofer or two. My room is small and doesn't require a lot of power for the sound but I do appreciate good quality sound and will listen to 2.1 channel audio music. Thoughts?
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Re: Need help with new speakers for my home theater
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 12:20:37 PM »
I am currently looking to purchase new speakers for my home theater setup and thought I would throw this out there. I'm looking for L,C,R, subwoofer, side surrounds and rear surrounds to start (7.1 setup). I'm on the fence between tower front left and right speakers and bookshelf speakers on stands given that I will have a subwoofer or two. My room is small and doesn't require a lot of power for the sound but I do appreciate good quality sound and will listen to 2.1 channel audio music. Thoughts?
Budget?
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:59:59 PM »
power sound audio are my favorite by far.  bang for the buck is insane.  

but if your inclined you will NOT get better for your money than DIY (specifically DIYsoundgroup speakers kits)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »
The SV Sound speakers are quite good for the money, IMO. Martin Logan too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 03:50:11 PM »
Budget?
David, thanks for the response. Keeping in mind that I maybe I can get some products at a discount..... I was thinking around $3K. Maybe SVS?
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »
David, thanks for the response. Keeping in mind that I maybe I can get some products at a discount..... I was thinking around $3K. Maybe SVS?
I would agree with the SVS. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 07:07:14 PM »
Not sure if you have a discount with SVS as alluded to here... and if it would fall in your budget, but the Ultra Tower system would be a hell of a start. If not then maybe the bookshelf version which is right at your budget before any discount.

Barry

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 11:42:09 PM »
We have a SVS system at my brother’s house and it is terrific. He has the floor standing speakers, the better centre channel and surround speakers. At that price range I do not believe that there is anything better. Oh, but you also have two subwoofers
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 01:23:24 AM »
We have a SVS system at my brother’s house and it is terrific. He has the floor standing speakers, the better centre channel and surround speakers. At that price range I do not believe that there is anything better. Oh, but you also have two subwoofers
Two...I think you need at least 4 :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »
svs are nice just not the most efficient speakers.  I would def say PSA>SVS

will they be hidden or in plain view?  if so Id lean towards svs

another great speaker for short money is PSB's I LOVED mine

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSJeff

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Not sure if you have a discount with SVS as alluded to here... and if it would fall in your budget, but the Ultra Tower system would be a hell of a start. If not then maybe the bookshelf version which is right at your budget before any discount.
Thanks Paul and all the others for the help here. Considering that I'm going to need 4 surround speakers and a subwoofer (probably the SVS SB-2000 Pro - 1 to start), I'm thinking the SVS Ultra Bookshelf fronts and Prime Elevation speakers may fit better into my budget (which is now going upwards ;D). 
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 05:18:53 PM »
... my budget (which is now going upwards ;D).
I mean, what do you expect asking for help at a place like this? ;D 

I'm still recovering from whining about projector pricing... ??? ::)

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »
svs are nice just not the most efficient speakers.  I would def say PSA>SVS

will they be hidden or in plain view?  if so Id lean towards svs

another great speaker for short money is PSB's I LOVED mine
The 5.1 PSA bookshelf system with their base models is a good bit more than the SVS Ultra bookshelf 5.1 system. 

PSAs are a good bit more efficient though (specs say 95 vs 87 so like 1/7 the amp power needed) so you could maybe recoup some of that on the amp side. But yeah the SVS are prettier.

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »
Be ware svs is now all China components. 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSJeff

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »
Be ware svs is now all China components.
Are you saying that the drivers themselves come from China or just the components of the crossovers and amplifiers? I would be surprised if the drivers are made in China.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal