AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again

Barry

Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
« on: April 29, 2022, 03:49:39 PM »
I had attempted something earlier that was less than successful. I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis.

I wanted to occasionally post about somewhat older movies, and collections, that have been out there a while.  For example, I would write about what makes the NEW Star Trek discs different and better that before.

Or write about the trilogy of Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance: how it looks and sounds on Blu Ray and why it may be something you’d should watch.

There is the Black and White, Blu Ray of the Twilight Zone, which features the Pilot episode, a hour long episode that most people have not seen. It stars William Bendix. . It is not narrated by Rod Serling.  So do you know who hosted the Pilot episode?

But I would like discussions on movies I liked and think you might. This would include the Criterion Collections of “Midnight Cowboy,” All That Jazz, “ “A Hard Days Night, “The Great Dictator,”  “Fantastic Planet,” “The Blob,” “paths of Glory” and the Golden Age of Television. Even a documentary, such as the new 4K “For All Mankind.”

And I would LOVE suggestions of your favorites that might not be the most recent.  IS this doable, or should I forget about it?

Finally, the Twilight Zone was a Desilu production. So on the Desilu Star Theatre Desi Arnez was the announcer of the first Twilight Zone! And Lucy appears with him at the end!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 05:42:08 PM »
I had attempted something earlier that was less than successful. I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis.

I wanted to occasionally post about somewhat older movies, and collections, that have been out there a while.  For example, I would write about what makes the NEW Star Trek discs different and better that before.

Or write about the trilogy of Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance: how it looks and sounds on Blu Ray and why it may be something you’d should watch.

There is the Black and White, Blu Ray of the Twilight Zone, which features the Pilot episode, a hour long episode that most people have not seen. It stars William Bendix. . It is not narrated by Rod Serling.  So do you know who hosted the Pilot episode?

But I would like discussions on movies I liked and think you might. This would include the Criterion Collections of “Midnight Cowboy,” All That Jazz, “ “A Hard Days Night, “The Great Dictator,”  “Fantastic Planet,” “The Blob,” “paths of Glory” and the Golden Age of Television. Even a documentary, such as the new 4K “For All Mankind.”

And I would LOVE suggestions of your favorites that might not be the most recent.  IS this doable, or should I forget about it?

Finally, the Twilight Zone was a Desilu production. So on the Desilu Star Theatre Desi Arnez was the announcer of the first Twilight Zone! And Lucy appears with him at the end!
" I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis. " - I don't think I've ever seen that film.

I had a week of classic movies this week that my guests loved. Tuesday we watched " My Little Chickadee ", which is a fun classic. Tuesday I had a theater full of guests to watch " Gentlemen Prefer Blondes " - which looks and sounds great on the Blu-ray I have. Last night I had another crowd to watch a classic film I had never seen, and I recently got the Blu-ray of - " National Velvet ". Everyone loved that too - Elizabeth Taylor was already showing her acting abilities at 12 years old.

I have an old favorite coming on disc this week - " Sergeant York " , and one I've never seen - " Gold Diggers of 1933 ". 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm starting to watch some older movies as well. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 09:57:43 PM »
Old is Gold!
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 10:05:07 PM »
Good idea for a thread, considering the state of modern entertainment, at least partially due to the consequences of the pandemic.

Was watching a YouTube live stream a few weeks ago, and they were discussing Terry Gilliam's Brazil, and how it may be more relevant today than ever, so the wife and I watched it two weekends ago.

I loved the movie when it first came out, and for me, it still holds up. My wife wasn't a fan, but after watching it again has started to come around. 

I remember watching the movie with friends a long time ago, and arguing whether or not the movie had a happy ending. 

[spoiler]They argued that it didn't, and walked away depressed.  I took the opposite approach, and looked at it this way:  Sam was in a classic no-win situation.  Not only didn't he ever fit in with society, but he also didn't have the fortitude or aptitude to make any outward change.  There was no escaping his predicament.  Or was there?  By completely retreating inward, he won in the only way possible, finally escaping to the dream life that he longed for. 

Sure, not a classic happy ending, but it was the best possible outcome for him.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's an interesting and entertaining movie filled with little moments that reward repeat viewings.

Scott

P.S. Spoiler tags don't seem to work, so I changed the font color to white, so you'd have to select the text to read it.  Is there a better way to handle spoilers?
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 06:06:34 AM »
I’m an old soul. So this is right up my alley
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
One reason having a home theater breathes new life into older classic films is that when I saw most of these movies ( that I have seen ) as a kid, it was on TV, chopped to hell, with a hundred commercial interruptions, that killed the flow of the movie. Watching 2001 on the 4K Blu-ray in my theater not long ago with friends made it seem like a different, faster paced movie - because commercials totally killed the pace and dramatic tension of the film. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 11:35:50 AM »
Two classics I watched with friends over Easter weekend - and started at 5:30pm each night with pizza due to their length, were Cleopatra - which I had never seen, and The Ten Commandments on 4K Blu-ray, which I have seen over the years, but never looking nearly as good. Having read Julius Ceasar's " Gallic War " and " Civil War " not long ago, it was way fun watching Cleopatra. Looks damn good on the current 2 Blu-ray set. The Ten Commandments has never looked better.  

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 12:36:54 PM »
I'm just as excited for classics coming out remastered in 4K this year as some of the new movies coming. Looks like the following are coming to 4K -
Heat
Amadeus 
Patton
A Fistful of Dollars ( already pre-ordered )
A For A Few Dollars More ( already pre-ordered )
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
To Catch a Thief
The Untouchables ( already pre-ordered )
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Tombstone
Giant
Edge of Tomorrow
The Lost Boys
Casablanca
Gravity
I'd also expect Ben-Hur in 4K soon. 

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
That’s an insanely good list
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD